PDA

View Full Version : 20ga O frame barrels

Tim Kisieleski
01-04-2010, 11:10 AM
New guy question
I was looking at the for sale section and saw barrels/forearms for sale.
How rare are 20ga O frame barrels(with out an action) in 28/30, and are they any more difficult(or is it even possible) to have them fitted to a 16ga O frame than on a Fox

thanks
Tim

Dean Romig
01-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Don't understand your question Tim, are you suggesting fitting a set of 20 ga. 0-frame Parker barrels to a Fox? If it sounds like I've asked a strange question it is because I'm confused by yours. . .

Bill Davis
01-05-2010, 04:18 AM
I think Tim is asking if you can fit O frame 20 ga. barrels to an O frame 16 bore and comparing it to fitting 20ga. Fox barrels on a 16ga Fox--which can be done!

Dean Romig
01-05-2010, 05:56 AM
Thanks Bill. The answer is 'maybe, if you're lucky'. I was lucky enough to buy a set of 1916 Titanic 20 ga. ejector barrels that fit my 16 ga. 0-frame 1893 Damascus GHE like they were made for the gun. I was very lucky. It is extremely rare that this would happen. Often a set of barrels can be fitted to another gun by an expert machinist/gunsmith - Russ Bickel did this for me with my DH by fitting a set of Damascus barrels to it. Sometimes it can't be done at all without great expense. Maybe there was a great deal more hand fitting of a Parker than a Fox . . . I don't know.

Tim Kisieleski
01-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Bill that was the question. Thank you.

Dean I know they usually need to be fitted on the Foxes. I wasn't sure if it was possible, or if others had done it before on Parkers. Not a super cheep solution, but less than buying another gun in 20 for clays and restocking it to me. (unless John GIVES me that little clunker, of Scott's)
I have a zillion hulls and the reloader , as all I normally shoot is subgauge clays. Is it rare to find 30" 20ga tubes? and as long as I'm asking semi stupid questions, along the same lines, if I were to find a set of damascus barrels, could they be fitted, if frame appropriate( I really liked the look of Johns barrels on the clunker)
What would a guess at fitting cost be? a grand? more, less?

Dean Romig
01-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Barrel sets show up once in a while but when you're actually looking for something specific they are very elusive. Some people look for years and never finf what they need. Thirty-inch twenty gauge barrels? . . . take up another hobby :eek:

No, not $1K . . . I think I paid Russ $600 per set but I'm not certain - best to contact Russ about his rates. Whatever it cost, it was worth it - his work is absolutely first class.

And Yes, you can have Damascus barrels fitted. Russ fitted a set of Damascus barrels to my DH that was made with Titanic Steel barrels and they work perfectly - great chokes too! The Titanic barrels are choked full/full and the Damascus barrels are constricted .005"/rt and .018" left.

E Robert Fabian
01-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Tim, those 30" barrels are a find, please put me on the list if they don't fit your gun.

Chris Travinski
01-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Tim, The CSMC barrels come 20 ga. 30" for the 0 if you wanted to give them a shot. If your thinking about holding out for an original set, keep the hens teeth in mind.

Tim Kisieleski
01-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Chris, the repro stuff will fit? Any idea of a ballpark cost?

Greg Baehman
01-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Here's a link to the barrels that CSMC is producing for both original and Reproduction Parkers. I understand they are now in production.
http://www.csmcspecials.com/product_p/parkerbarrels.htm

Tim Kisieleski
01-06-2010, 07:04 AM
thanks.:crying:

I guess the question become one of economics. I can buy a boatload of reloading supplies and a new mec 9000 in 16 for the cost of the barrels and fitting.

Things that make you go hummmmmmmmm