PDA

View Full Version : Parker inlay question

RANDALL PLAISTED
10-08-2013, 12:31 PM
My Parker DHE, 1905 Titanium barrel has wood inlay on both sides of the butt stock, near where your trigger hand is. Hopefully photo is attached here.

My guess is that a previous owner had a shop class project, but my smith say it may have been re-enforced by a bolt, and this is covering it up. It is about an inch and a half, almost square, but more a diamond shaped darker wood piece. I am considering placing my gun on the market, and would like to have an explanation for a potential buyer.

This gun also has the adjustable shoulder cushion that I prefer to eliminate. My local man says it deters from the value. I have heard of ways to do this, and would like some comments as to if this is necessary and doable. 10-8-13.

Dean Romig
10-08-2013, 02:20 PM
It appears to be inlays over a through-bolt installed because the stock head had split. We see a lot of these and probably the most noteworthy is KM's small bore AH with ivory diamonds, very similar to yours but considerably larger.

As for the butt treatment - a leather covered pad would be quite acceptable for a few hundred dollars or perhaps a simple Silvers type of orange non-adjustable recoil pad would be sufficient..

Plaisted is an old and interesting name in Southeastern Maine and I worked for twenty-nine years for a Mr. Stutz Plaisted.

RANDALL PLAISTED
10-08-2013, 02:37 PM
I am not sure about the reference to " KM's small bore AH with ivory diamonds".

I have been told I am related to three brothers that arrived to America in the late 1600's. One named Roger, one name escapes me that the third one had no further paper trail. He settled in Rhode Island. There are a scant few Plaisted folks out west. I used to make a practice of opening up the phone books in hotels when I traveled. Now, phone books have gone the way of the dodo.

Thanks for your response.

Dean Romig
10-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Here's a single link of many I found that may lead you to more Plaisted things of interest.

http://books.google.com/books?id=0QMpTLrAbF0C&pg=PA142&lpg=PA142&dq=plaisted+wells,+me&source=bl&ots=XIsNN8clDn&sig=HB28VmTBs0UHmMZamL2MZF4C5gg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UFJUUsfkAvej4APcuYGYCQ&ved=0CEkQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=plaisted%20wells%2C%20me&f=false