PDA

View Full Version : Parker OV Grade???

Michael Dowdy
12-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Greetings from Southwestern Virginia. I'm new to the Forum and have always admired Parkers from afar. Recently I decided to buy my first Parker and have located a 12ga. Trojan (serial# 194XXX) that has caught my eye. Above the serial number on the watertable are the letters "OV" It is also stamped on the flats of the barrel. Is this a grade? Also the letters JG in a circle are stamped on the flats. The number 14 is stamped on the barrel as well....could this be the barrel weight? There is also a HT over an A stamped on the barrel flats.

Any help in deciphering all these numbers and letters would be appreciated! Oh.....one more oddity. The double triggers appear to have been gold plated at one time, but time and handling has erased some of it.....sounds like they were replaced at some time, doesn't it?!

In any case, its a pretty Parker!....but, aren't they all??!

Dave Suponski
12-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Michael,The "OV" that you noticed is the designation for a Trojan grade gun. The initials"JG" stand for James Geary one of Parker Brothers barrel makers/inspectors. Gold triggers! Not original Parker to my mind.

Dean Romig
12-29-2009, 05:36 PM
The unstruck barrel weight will be stamped on the barrel flat of the right barrel and should be 4 lbs. with a superscript oz. weight

Tom Carter
12-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Michael, Please check your PM's. Tom

Michael Dowdy
12-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Dave, Dean,...thanks for straightening me out on these markings. I figure the "gold" triggers will take away from the value of the shotgun, are replacement parts readily available or should I leave well enough alone?!
Michael

Dave Suponski
12-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Michael,If it were my gun I would enjoy it the way it is.Triggers could be hard to come by. How about some pictures?....We love pictures....:)

Michael Dowdy
12-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks, fellas.....You made me feel comfortable with the decision to buy it....I'll post pics as soon as it follows me home!

Dean Romig
12-29-2009, 09:45 PM
You might just have the only Trojan with gold plated triggers - don't change nuthin' ;)