PDA

View Full Version : To refinish barrels or sell As-Is?

Will Wingler
09-06-2013, 05:53 PM
I have a 20G with Pistol Grips, Splinter Forend, Double Triggers, Ejectors and 26" barrels.

I'm not sure what happened (bought it this way) but there are 3 areas that have blemish/rust areas on the barrels. Each about dime size. I'm not sure whether to have barrels reblued or sell as is.

What are the opinions of each and an estimate of price if sold either way?

http://parkerguns.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27099&stc=1&d=1378504263

Ken Hill
09-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Is there any pitting in the rusted areas?

Used 20ga are somewhere between $2600 to $3800 and depends on the condition. 20ga guns that are almost NIB are in the mid-$4k range. If I were looking at the gun, I would discount the gun for the cost of a reblue plus another $300-$400.

Remember this is my opinion,
Ken

Bob Jurewicz
09-06-2013, 07:35 PM
I would 4x steel wool and oil followed by a good cold blue. Also, would present it fairly in the gun's description.
It will look much better and bring a better price!
Bob Jurewicz

Paul Ehlers
09-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Looking at the pictures I wouild suspect there to be some pitting in that area. If this were my gun I would bite the bullet & have someone like Bachelder take care of the issue & reblue the barrels. This gun is wearing a nice stick of wood & not having the blemish of the barrels would surely make it easier to find a buyer. Just make sure your up front on why you had the barrels redone.

Anyway you slice it you are going to be out the price of the reblue. Either you take the hit up front on paying a gunsmith or you're going to have prospective buyers trying to hammer you down on price because of the damage.

If you need a quick sale. List it on Gunbroker with a no reserve auction & a starting price that would reflect the lowest price you need out of it. Let the market sort it out. Keep in mind. You will be answering a lot of questions about that rust spot if you do.

Good Luck with it !!

Will Wingler
09-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks for all the input so far. I am fine to keep and hunt with it as I did last year. I believe in full disclosure...which is why I'm posting detailed pictures here (assume this is a public portion of the site but not sure).

I'm not 100% sure I want to sell because I like the gun and I can hunt with it and not worry about hunting in the woods or brush etc where gun rash happens. I have 3 other Repro's that have never been in "the woods" or fired as far as I know.

Bob...Thanks for your input. Do you recognize the case???

Best,
WW

Rich Anderson
09-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Irregardless of if you sell it or keep it I would have that blemish repaired. It will only get worse and if the pitting continues and deepens it will be harder to fix down the road.

Joe Dreisch
09-07-2013, 06:51 PM
This appears to be just the sort of blemish that a Frontier pad will remove without hurting the blue. Get one and use WD-40 on the spots. If they are not pits they will disappear and the blue will remain intact.

http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

is their website.

Kenny Graft
09-09-2013, 07:18 AM
I would use a nickle or solid copper wheat penny on edge to remove any heavy rust or pitting, follow with fine bronze wool from brownells. Do not use steel wool this will remove the blue from any area you use it on. Work slowly and use light pressure and lots of oil. When using a coin watch very close not to scratch the area being cleaned. Start in the center of the spot, use light pressure and work out to the edge. Wipe spot and look for any scratches from the coin. There should not be any. Most of this will come off and only leave blemish were the worst rust was. Keep the barrels oiled and the spots will not get any worse. You will have to live with that or have them cold rust blued by a pro. I have had very good luck with this method. I have a 20ga. that has seen lots of use and the blue is thinning at the forend. At some point they will get properly rust blued. Will send the gun to Brad and have the full redo, then you have to look very close to see its not a original Parker...(-: SXS ohio....

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
09-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Take Joe D. Advise it works like a charm. Frontier pads are great for this.Thomas

Will Wingler
09-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Just dropped off at my gunsmith for a Cold-Blue of the spots. The rust cleaned up nicely with above recommendations and decided to cold blue to protect the barrels. Will probably post in the classified section soon as I have another gun of interest.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Will Wingler
09-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Here are the barrels after a cold-blue of the blemishes...

Greg Baehman
09-30-2013, 06:36 PM
You've got to admit, she looks a whole lot better, eh?

Will Wingler
09-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Yes!!! The worst spot now looks the best. The 2 blems on the side of the right barrel were in an area that is most visible for looks; although they were the least area of concern. In interest of full disclosure :crying:

But happy it looks as it does :cool:

Mills Morrison
10-01-2013, 08:58 AM
I think we can agree you made the right call