PDA

View Full Version : Latest acquisition

allen newell
07-07-2013, 01:28 PM
20 ga DHE Repro out of an estate sale in Arizona. Not an original Parker, but will do. Shot skeet with it today for the first time and was pleased with the results. 26"bbls, mod and improve cycl chokes. Came with leather case which is off to Mr. Huey for a couple of minor repairs. Gun was hardly shot at all. no nicks, dings, case colors remain strong (we'll fix that this Fall bird hunting in Maine I suppose). Now if I could just find that 28 ga Parker or Parker Repro for the right price....:whistle:

charlie cleveland
07-07-2013, 02:23 PM
nice gun..it will surely be a fine bird gun i ve watched these guns from the time they talked about building them till they finally did make them..to me they are real sleepers except to them that relize them for the quality gun they are... i too would like to add a 28 ga too the collection..when i get to old to tote the old 8 ga then i can tote the little 28....lovely gun you have there hope you kill a lot of grouse with it then you can tell us about it...ha charlie

Casey O'Connor
07-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Very Nice !!!!!

Mills Morrison
07-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Looks a lot like the 20 gauge Repro I bought earlier this year. I am very pleased with mine as well.

Dennis V. Nix
07-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Beautiful wood. Congratulations.

Dennis

allen newell
07-07-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm thinking of having Dan Cullity engrave the family initials on the emblem. I don't want my grandson to ever forget it comes from the Newell side of the family.

Gerald Majors
07-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Allen,
Looks great. I just love a 20ga. got 2 VH 20ga right now. One restored (DelGrego?) with straight grip and beaver forearm in exhibition grade walnut. The other a VH with pistol grip and beaver forearm both very nice wood, a real bird gun. Got a sixteen VH on an O frame that Brian Dudley is helping me get into shape, I think it will be a real shooter as well.

Speaking of 28ga. I bought one back when they were first produced. Shot I a few times but it was so nice I wouldn't take it out much, didn't want to damage it. At that point in my life I really couldn't afford to keep it if I wasn't going to use it so I sold it to a friend who still has it. I could kick my A!!! now but at the time seemed the best to do.
LIve and learn.
Congrats.
Gerald

PS: Yes, I would have the family initials done.

Todd Schrock
07-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Allen,
Great piece of wood, congrats !

allen newell
07-08-2013, 09:41 AM
at $2800, I just couldn't pass this one up. Don't know why the seller let it go for that price. If I could find a 28ga for that kind of money, I'd be on it like stink on s#$t! Oh yeah.

David Noble
07-08-2013, 08:50 PM
That was a real bargain, Allen! That's what they sold for in the mid 80's. Congratulations!

allen newell
07-08-2013, 09:05 PM
The same seller has another one for sale out of his wife's uncle's estate, a 28ga/410 ga combo for 9K but no case. Apparently the case has been lost. In excellent condition.

Casey O'Connor
07-08-2013, 09:25 PM
In 1995 when they were trying to "get rid" of them, they were less than $2000 in the case with all the stuff. Wish I'd have had the foresight to buy a couple then.

allen newell
07-08-2013, 09:34 PM
In 1995 I was finishing up a field assignment for Stone & Webster at Rocky Flats in Colorado and wondering where my next assignment would be. Last thing in the world I was thinking about then was the purchase of a Parker, any Parker. Colorado was sure nice though!

Casey O'Connor
07-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Hey Allen,
Would that have been at Fort Saint Vrain?

allen newell
07-08-2013, 09:46 PM
No, after Rocky Flats, the company went through a reorganization, broke into 4 business units and they made me a Manager of Business Development for one of the units located out of Headquarters in Boston. Turned out, Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons Facility was my last field assignment with S&W.

Casey O'Connor
07-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Just curious, I've worked for/through them a couple times in the Nuclear realm.

That's still a beautiful gun. If your short on heirs let me know and I'll send you my address. :)

allen newell
07-08-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm only short on hair Casey, but nice try. lol. Where did you do work for Stone & Webster? Were you part of the Company or a contractor working for/with them and what were your role(s) if I may ask. We may have some mutual friends