PDA

View Full Version : One less Coyote at the farm

George M. Purtill
03-30-2013, 03:24 PM
We seem to be having an issue with very aggressive coyotes right now. They are hungry and traveling in groups at our farm and elsewhere.
Maybe it has been the harsh winter we have experienced.
A good friend's German Shorthair was visciously attacked last week.
But this is the time we (myself and friends Jim and Herb)start hunting the dogs anyway and we set up yesterday morning (Friday- thus Foto Fridays) on the south side of a major highway that bisects our fields.
Within 3 minutes or less this 45 pound fellow was working the field thinking he was on to a fawn in distress.
My friend Herb, an owner of a 16 VH that by all rights should be mine since my doctor owned it, had the shot.
110 yards maybe 125.
22-250 Remington 700 heavy barrel Hornady 55 grain spitzer boattail.
Dropped like a stone.
We hunted for 3 more hours, moving our position - nada. We have learned-if they are there, they will come quick. If not you might as well enjoy a good cigar and tell stories. Which we did.
Ironically, we were all 3 carrying 22-250s yesterday. My favorite cartridge for varmints since I turned 16 and bought my first Rem 700.

George M. Purtill
03-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Very nice pelts this time of year, by the way. This one was skinned and at the taxidermists to be tanned last night.

Bob Jurewicz
03-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Killed one in Texas with my 45 Kimber Grand Raptor II. Took 5 shots but on the fifth with him running full bore I rolled him.
At a friends house outside of Buffalo NY, she has them coming right up to her front porch. I'm sure they want to have a Shitzu burger.
Bob Jurewicz

Richard Flanders
03-30-2013, 04:25 PM
That's a very healthy looking dog there George! That's what they look like up here in Alaska. There's one in our neighborhood at least that big and furry. Great looking tail.

Gary Carmichael Sr
03-31-2013, 02:01 PM
Good days work george and I bet that cigar taste pretty good too! You guys did not tell any lies did you? Gary

Rich Anderson
03-31-2013, 03:39 PM
George I have a Rem 700 Varmint with the heavy bbl and laminated stock in 22-250 and in the accuracy dept it will rival the Coopers:shock: Nice dog, here they are hunted with dogs a lot and it's hard to get one to come to a call. They are heard but not seen...very often.

Mills Morrison
03-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Good job!

Dean Romig
03-31-2013, 06:28 PM
The only "good coyotes" are the ones that are just like the dog in your pictures.

John Havard
03-31-2013, 09:36 PM
Way to go George! Those darned things are too cheeky by a long stretch around here. Just across from my house, which is in a neighborhood, is a greenbelt that connects to a lot of open land going out toward Tiburon. I've chased several away from directly across the street lately. I wish permanent solutions were available to me here as they are for you. I'd certainly reduce their numbers with every chance.

George M. Purtill
03-31-2013, 09:45 PM
Coyote are in an up cycle again here. They were down for a couple years as they had decimated the rabbit and small critter (including housecats) population. With heavy hunting pressure on our put and take pheasant population and non-existent other upland birds, their food supply was down. It is now up and their populations are back. They hound my wild turkey flock.
Soooooo... We are going to shoot all we can.
They are bold and hunt the residential neighborhoods.

calvin humburg
04-01-2013, 08:05 PM
So ur saying God made a mistake when he put the trickster on the earth. Humm maybe your smarter than Father?

Dean Romig
04-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Not me Cal, I never said anything of the sort.... but I can still despise them can't I... please?

calvin humburg
04-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Yes u can. I c him quite often I think theres something man can't change or get ride of he's remindes me that nature is the 1 thing we can't control. Praise the Lord. And I have always been 1 to stick up for the underdog. I've skinned many a yote in my day but hey... one mourning I had one in a trap and he started singing his death song as I showed up He taught me one more thing that morning. Best 2 u Dean

Dean Romig
04-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Same with me Calvin. I was checking my trapline early one morning... I was about 15 or so.... and I came to one ground set that had a skunk in it, caught by the front foot. He was wimpering and softly crying. I had my .22 rifle with me and I laid it on the ground and began softly talking to the poor thing. After about five minutes or so he quieted down and I moved closer to him and he didn't seem bothered. After a few more minutes I slowly reached both hands toward him... he showed a little more concern and cautiously sniffed my hand as I gently depressed the spring and released his foot. He walked off about twenty feet but came right back to me, turned around, lifted his tail and squirted me with his vile sticky fluid.... I guess he remembered he should have done that earlier :p

Angel Cruz
04-02-2013, 10:03 PM
:rotf:
Yeah, that nature...:rotf:

Richard Flanders
04-03-2013, 07:24 PM
What a great story Dean! I guess he figgered as he walked away that "hell, he's just going to sit there and let me go? I think I'll just trot back and let that azzhole have it right in the face; my foot hurts like hell!!".....

Rich Anderson
04-03-2013, 07:34 PM
It's true nice guys finsh last...or get sprayed:rotf::rotf: I would have used that 22:whistle:

Fred Preston
04-03-2013, 09:01 PM
About a week ago I was out for a dog walk. The dogs were in the hollow somewhere to the east of me. A woodpussy showed up in the woods about 40 yards ahead of me to the west, just moseying toward me. I slipped the .17 off my shoulder and centered him. What to do; if I shot, the dogs would be in in a flash. At about 30 yards his poor eyes noticed me (I guess he could only smell himself) and he turned and lifted his tail and proceeded to amble away. After a minute, the dogs came in to me and I collared them and we walked out of the woods. They got to stay in the house that night.

charlie cleveland
04-03-2013, 10:42 PM
do you boys remember that song the snake tells the fellow that he knew he was a snake when he picked him up and brought him in from the cold..yep the snake bit him...charlie

Wyatt Clark
06-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Just couple days ago on Friday I was irrigating our pastuse out in front of my house I turn around and there's a coyote no more than 20 feet from me. So I told my dad he got the 22-250 and shot the coyote, "Nailed him clean.":draw:

Daryl Corona
06-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Wyatt,
Nice picture for your avatar. Hope you get to fly a real P-51 someday and then you could strafe some dogs on the prairie.