Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

What shells to use in vulcan steel barrel?
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
samearle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default What shells to use in vulcan steel barrel?

I have an old parker, and need to know what shells to buy and use. Can anyone point me to the right type of shells and where to buy them online?

Size -2
Barrel Weight – 4
Serial # - 127434
Made – 1904
Gun Grade – V
Vulcan Steel Barrel

Thank you!

Sam
samearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

http://www.rstshells.com/rst_classic...shotshells.htm
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,614 Times in 2,667 Posts

Mr. Samearle, the following is what Parker recommended. The first photo is from the Parker Small Bore Shot Gun brochure. The second from TPS, p.514. Cartridges meeting those powder and shot loads are available from many sources, including Remington, Winchester, RST, Federal, Rio and handloading.

Your gun would have been patterned with a 3 dram, 1 1/8 shot load, however, the load table allows for acceptable stouter loads. Obviously, a person can always chose to use a lesser load.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker Loads 002.jpg (61.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Parker Loads 003.jpg (96.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Bruce Day; 11-25-2010 at 09:06 AM..
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 11-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Feathersjr
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bruce:

I hope to take delivery next week of a light weight VHE 20 gauge manufactured in about 1923. If I read the tables you were kind enough to provide it looks like 2¼ drams was the load used to test my gun. However, if the shot table shows a step up in psi from 10400 to 12700 do you think standard loads such as AA or Remington STS qualify? I need to do the research and I guess I am getting lazy by asking you the question....I haven't had a need to buy RST loads before but will now. The gun is chambered for 2½" shells, but I will have the forcing cones lengthened to at least reduce the felt recoil. I don't know that I am concerned so much about the steel in these Parkers, but I just don't want to shoot it loose with heavy loads.

Thanks for your help.

John
John R. Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yes, they will be fine. I shoot them regularly in both two Titanic D 's and a damascus C. They like the standard 7/8oz, 2 1/2dre load fine and its under the service load limits.

I like the RST 3/4oz loads, not because of pressure or chamber length issues, but because it is a sweet shooting, very low recoil little target and quail load. It took me a while before I could figure out how to load 3/4oz consistantly on my own, so I load those myself now and its a lot less costly than buying flats from RST.

Why do you feel you need to get the forcing cone lengthened?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shell_length_002.jpg (41.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Bruce Day; 11-26-2010 at 06:25 PM..
Unread 11-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Sam and John, Parker specified dram equiv. in their load data but as we all know depending on what powder is used the pressures can be all over the place.Also we know that yield strength of steel deminishes with age.I shoot both damascus and fluid steel guns with either RST or my own hand loads in these great old guns and I chose to err on the side of lesser is better because these are great OLD guns.
Unread 11-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

If a person checks Win factory load data, they will find that 7/8oz , 2 1/2dre (1100 or 1150fps) chamber pressures are right in the middle of the Parker service limits.

That would not be true for faster loads, or the 1oz loads, and that issue was not raised.
Unread 11-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
Feathersjr
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks to both of you. Seems like there are a number of different thoughts on what to use, what can be used and what one wants to use in these older guns. I have always liked the 7/8 load in a 20 but will certainly try the ¾ oz. load. I seldom have a need to shoot 1 oz loads in my 20 ga. However, I did use Federal wingshock 1 oz 4's in SD this year on pheasant and they shot and handled like a charm--in my DHE 20 ga. repro. Most of my shooting is on quail and ruffed grouse and a standard field load, i.e. AA's or STS is adequate. Since this "new" 20 gauge is less than 6 pounds I feel like lengthening the forcing cones may create enough reduction in felt recoil to make it more comfortable. Before I do anything, I intend to run several boxes of shells through it. Maybe that will determine the next step to take, if any. BUT, you folks are giving me so good ideas which may cause me to crank up my reloaders. Its been several years since they've been used and I will need to pick up some good info on reloading data but since I am now retired there may be time to reload again and the prices of some of these shells are out of sight.
John R. Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
I like the RST 3/4oz loads, not because of pressure or chamber length issues, but because it is a sweet shooting, very low recoil little target and quail load. It took me a while before I could figure out how to load 3/4oz consistantly on my own, so I load those myself now and its a lot less costly than buying flats from RST.
Bruce, would you please share your 20-ga. 3/4 oz. load recipe? I, too, recently discovered the joys of these light loads, but until I added a cheerio in the wad cup I was getting dished crimps. Now, with the cheerio I'm getting perfect crimps, but would rather prefer to skip this step.

TIA,
Greg
Greg Baehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
Bruce, would you please share your 20-ga. 3/4 oz. load recipe? I, too, recently discovered the joys of these light loads, but until I added a cheerio in the wad cup I was getting dished crimps. Now, with the cheerio I'm getting perfect crimps, but would rather prefer to skip this step.

TIA,
Greg
20ga AA 3/4oz Int'l 12gr 209 WAA20 9000psi

I lightly seat the wad, don't really compress it. The crimp extends down further than a 7/8oz load but still seals it. Results in a clean burning load. RST 3/4oz loads leave a lot of powder residue in my gun and cost delivered about $130/case. This is a lot less expensive, something appreciated by old pensioners such as Charlie and me who still are able to do a little part time work.

I had never heard of putting Cheerios in a load. However, that must be what I was shooting when the bird keeps flying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post: