Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Nickel plated LC Smiths-Ithacas
Unread 08-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Nickel plated LC Smiths-Ithacas

I found privately a 12 ga. LC Smith Skeet special- fully optioned- HOT, AE, 28" ventilated rib- R frame marked E- Not a FW- Owner says it was special ordered in 1930- with the nickel plated locks and receiver- BUT-- The locks show some minor pitting under the plating, makes me think it was really color case hardened, got rusty, was plated later on--

Might be for sale- I checked it with A-Zoom snap caps, HOT fine, ejectors snappy- But I want to test fire it with skeet loads to fulyy check trigger function- NO mars on breech face fromejector/extractor "drag"- 99% wood finish with PH capped and Jostam red antiflinch recoil pad well installed- 14 & 14" LOP and SST is in the middle position- front yellow ivory bead and smaller ivory bead on mid-rib- Beavertail has the reinforcing lug and screw and the London (Ideal Grade?) steel barrels have the lower rib reinforcement just behind the barrel loop-

Did Smith ever nickel plate their guns on special order- this puppy has to be post 1926 as it has the same Stephen Gilles patented raised ventilated rib as on my 2E 12 32" Nitro steel barrel pigeon gun?

I like it- a tad heavy for a field gun, but fine for side-by-side SC events- BUT as Patton said about "Only a cheap pimp in a New Orleans Sportin' House" wonder about the "Bling effect" of this plated beauty--

Last edited by Francis Morin; 08-08-2010 at 09:00 AM..
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Francis - I found a plated LC myself one time and asked the same question to the Smith boys on their board. It seems Hunter Arms would get requests for this option from time-to-time and they would give the receivers to a local contractor who did the plating for them. Usually you see it on the waterfowl guns.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Very interesting--
Unread 08-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Very interesting--

Serial number of this optioned 12 Skeet Special is 127465- looked them up in Houchin's Bible of Elsie- less than 800 skeet specials made- - If I buy this Smith it won't see much duck hunting- the old mantra "Nothing Rattles, Nothing Shines" is for serious waterfowlers like moi who like to shoot birds in close-

Last edited by Francis Morin; 08-08-2010 at 10:09 PM..
Unread 08-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

francis i have a no. 4 grade lc smith that has nichol plated reciever and side locks... was owned by same family since new they bought gun in 1895. them smiths are aregood guns. charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
I like Smiths very much
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default I like Smiths very much

And thanks to my "Guardian Angel" I have the now o.p. Houchins book- he details the Skeet Specials, but NOTHING in those 700 pages about nickel plating on Smiths- The owner and I have to agree on more than price- I want to remove the lock plates (something I can do blindfolded) and see the innards and also the locks-possible pitting as seen under the plating- and also test fire it with a few boxes of factory RST's to check out the Hunter One Trigger- my 4 other using 12 gauge Smiths all have double triggers, and I trust single triggers (except the M21) about as much as I would have trusted Bernie Madoff with my 401K---

Last edited by Francis Morin; 08-08-2010 at 10:04 PM..
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

Is a letter out of the question?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
What is the question?
Unread 08-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default What is the question?

Letter- schmetter- I haven't bought the gun yet- my guess is- the Hunter One Trigger will be the "Achilles Heel" here- and I sure would prefer case colors to the nickel plating- but we shall see...