Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Arizona Mearns Quail Hunting
Unread 12-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,336 Times in 363 Posts

Default Arizona Mearns Quail Hunting

The 2016-17 Arizona Mearns Quail Season opens tomorrow (Dec. 2), I'll be in Patagonia hope to see some of you at the Wagon Wheel for dinner.
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Davis For Your Post:
Unread 12-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,165 Posts

My two greatest failings in my shooting travels have been missing my only shot at a Mearns quail in Arizona and my only shot at a curlew in Ireland.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 12-02-2016, 06:45 AM   #3
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,409 Times in 293 Posts

Good luck George -

We head back on MLK weekend in January. 8 of us this time. Leave us a few birds please!

– Gordon MacQuarrie, The Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, 1985
MARK KIRCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,947 Times in 1,437 Posts

George hope to see you in the field.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #5
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Got home last night after 7 days of Mearns Quail Hunting. Coveys as a rule were 4-6 birds and really spread out with more pressure than I've experienced in 20 years. I would say below average year for over-all bird numbers, weather was outstanding with with the best dog work we've had in long time. My 21 month old Amercian Brit really shined and took several major steps forward being a finished bird dog.
Took total of seven dogs and needed them with a 7 day hunt. The entire group shots 16 guage with RST shells and both preformed well.
Time to rest before we head back the week of December.
Merry Christmas everyone.
Unread 12-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Davis View Post
Got home last night after 7 days of Mearns Quail Hunting. Coveys as a rule were 4-6 birds and really spread out with more pressure than I've experienced in 20 years. I would say below average year for over-all bird numbers, weather was outstanding with with the best dog work we've had in long time. My 21 month old Amercian Brit really shined and took several major steps forward being a finished bird dog.
Took total of seven dogs and needed them with a 7 day hunt. The entire group shots 16 guage with RST shells and both preformed well.
Time to rest before we head back the week of December.
Merry Christmas everyone.
Any pictures..... Sounds like a great time
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Unfortunately there are more hunters down here than I have seen in 45 years. It used to be guys would come down with their hunting partner and a few dogs. I met two different groups with 10 hunters and over 20 dogs. One group spent 8 days camped out and competing on who could shoot the greatest number of birds for the week. One canyon had a dozen trucks parked in it opening weekend. Absolutely nuts. Trash not carried out, and toilet paper every where. Gates left open.
Pretty bleak picture for the future of Mearns quail unless the AZ Game and Fish figures out a better way to manage the Mearns quail. You only have to look at a map of the Mearns quail habitats to realize that they will go the way of the Bobwhite quail if the pressure continues. Too many hunters shooting out whole coveys by pounding them day after day.
Cannt swing a dead cat without hitting a dozen guides.
If you come for Mearns please drive respectfully especially through private property. Watch your speed and close gates. Carry out your trash and bury your toilet paper. Consider harvesting one or two birds from a covey and then move on, and enjoy the time out with your dogs finding another covey of birds.
Sorry for the rant but it's not the same place it was a few years ago.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 12-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #8
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

You need to express this to AZ fish & game. With enough information and hunter pressure they can make changes to take some of the pressure off the quail. They can shorten the season and limits or even restrict hunting in some habitat areas. They need to know about this, as well as your concerns before it's too late and you lose your quail.

When I was a boy, just starting to hunt, we had Bob White quail but I haven't seen or talked to anyone that has seen one in years.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 12-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #9
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Phil, we had similar experience as you. Stayed at the Stage Stop Inn (Patagonia) one group was there 5 days from California, seven vehicles full of hunters. Another group from Georgia and they were pounding their guides as they weren't getting limited everyday.
The four of us had 4 wheel drives trucks and by day 2 were going back into some of our isolated "Honey Holes", in one of them we found two parties camping out.
Arizona needs the Gambel and Scaled Quail population need to recover from the decade long drought and the word to get out about the down cycle Mearns Quail are in because of the excess pressure.
Unread 12-12-2016, 11:58 PM   #10
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

All predictions including my own was for a season at least as good as last year. Unfortunately I would estimate that there are only about 1/3 the number of birds from last year. It's been awhile since we have had rain.