Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers Wild Game Recipes

Notices

Pre-Hunt Eggnog Pancakes
Unread 11-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Default Pre-Hunt Eggnog Pancakes

'Tis the Season

If you burn these, you can use them as flying disc targets. So you can shoot them with a Parker. So, this qualifies for posting in the Recipe forum.

Depending on your morning pre-hunt schedule, you can go from nothing to eating in under 30 minutes. If you practice, you can probably shorten that to near 15 minutes. If you just gotta grab a coffee and go, you probably won't enjoy these but if you pre-mix the pre-hunt pancake batter the night before, you should be able to make a few hot cakes while the coffee is brewing. If you don't brew your coffee and go the microwave boil-a-cup and add instant coffee route, please carry on and enjoy the hunt without the complications of adding food to your routine.

With those provisos and understandings, this is a nice recipe made with eggnog. Why eggnog? Well, I bought 2L a while ago when it started to appear in the grocery stores. I can't get into any kind of Christmas spirit in November but bought eggnog anyway. Because it was November, the eggnog moved further back in the fridge, until one day Kay asked whatever happened to it. So.... I dug it out and discovered the unopened container had already passed its best-before date. To avoid something like that, if you make your own eggnog, that will likely be better and fresher no matter what.

Okay, enough rambling

PRE-HUNT EGGNOG PANCAKES

Mix these dry ingredients in a large bowl

Flour: 1 1/2 cups
Sugar: 1 tbsp
Salt: 1/2 tsp
Baking Powder: 2 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon: To taste (mine includes a lot - at least 1 tbsp and more never hurts)
Nutmeg: To taste (for me around 1/2 tsp)

Mix these wet ingredients in a small bowl

Olive Oil: 4 tbsp
Egg: 1 then beat it with a fork until the oil/egg mixture is frothy
Eggnog: 1 1/2 cups

Pour the well stirred wet ingredients into the dry and mix together just enough to not have dry ingredients still obvious on the bottom of the bowl. No need to blend smooth this batter.

Use hot lightly oiled skillet or a pancake skillet with top/bottom covers to avoid having to do the "flip"; which, although part of the boyhood mystique of pancakes, loses its wonderment when it hits the floor only to be purloined by an ever-vigilant pooch.

Drop batter onto the hot skillet using a 1/4 cup measure per pancake.

It should only take a few minutes to be done. Again, if over-done you can still shoot them with a Parker if you have a friend launch them for you.

Once on your pre-warmed plate, slather your pre-hunt pancakes with real butter. Add a generous shot of maple syrup and if you are adventuresome, try adding a tea spoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.

For the carb conscious, wheat avoiding, cholesterol fearing hunters, substitute dry melba toast.

Cheers,
Jack
Thanks
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
CL
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Thanks

I have herd of this but never had the recipe
Calvin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote