Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

I must be getting soft
Unread 10-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,234 Posts

Default I must be getting soft

So, today, after a good rainstorm came thru plymouth, the sun came out and i decided to take Sophie, my english setter to the the quail fields at myles standish state park here in plymouth. I figured that with a strong sun out after a hard rain would have any quail out in the fields to dry off. In the first quail field, i put sophie down and a hundred yards down field she makes a solid point. I walk over to her, make my approach to her at an angle to her side so she sees me. I get in and the quail flushes. I shoot it. One bird down. Sophie breaks, runs over to where the bird is, picks it up and brings it in to me. Good dog, good dog sophie i say. I swear she is smiling at me now! We go to the next field and about halfway down field she goes in point again. I make my approach. The quail flush, all 8 or 10 of them at once! I bring the parker 20 ga to my shoulder and just stand there in wonderment watching all these birds take to wing. I couldn't pull the trigger. It was just to stirring a moment for me. We worked the cover over looking for additional birds but none were located. On the way out I stopped in at the ranger headquarters to get a map of the pheasant fields. Ended up giving my lone quail to the headquarters secretary who apparently loves game cooking. I kept thinking about that covey that sophie located and that i just didn't have the heart to shoot even though i had already taken one bird. I must be getting soft in my advancing age...
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
Bob K
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'm right with you Allen. It's a pleasure to just take the gun for a walk this time of year.
Bob Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Kimble For Your Post:
Unread 10-29-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Sophie will never forgive you, that's for sure. Next time out, she'll wonder if it's worth pointing them for you...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2018, 06:05 AM   #4
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,234 Posts

You should have seen the look she gave me....
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yea, I've gotten that "Stink Eye" look already!
Usually because I missed. LOL
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Rambler For Your Post:
Unread 11-01-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Ya...Im getting soft too. Don't hunt squirrels anymore, have not killed a white tail in years although I still may go out late season after I return from Kansas? No problem with shooting birds yet, I just get so much enjoyment hunting with my SXS guns, the dog work and my wife makes the birds into tasty heathy meals! Like ster-fry pheasant or her cast iron pot pie is to die for. SXS Ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 11-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

Allen:

It could be something a little more prosaic that is going on and you just balked at harvesting what you did not intend to eat.

I am of such mind lately when I take a rifle into the woods in Deer season. I do still revel in the thought that at any moment I could encounter a magnificent Whitetail Deer and have the opportunity to take a shot. For me that is worth the price of admission. But, am no longer sure that I will “force the moment to its crisis”.

Last week I got back from a super good time bird hunting up-country. On one of the mornings a Whitetail buck bounded out of a berry patch to our right. He was one of those majestic high-country Ridge Runners, on his home ground.

I may be going back up for more bird hunting, but I intend to take a couple of rifles too. I just cannot get the graphic of that animal, a stately creature bigger and wilier than I am, out of my thoughts.

No, Allen, not soft; it's probably just being a sportsman.
Unread 11-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

If I ever stumble across another covey of wild quail here in TN I probably won't get a shot off because of shock! They are rare in these parts.