Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 10-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yes Francis it would fell very good to meet that fellow and maybe teach him some respect for other peoples stuff. years back i orderd 5 hichory ram rods from dixie gunworks got an empty box from ups called the lady at dixie she said she would send me some more asked her if ups would pay for them she said they just eat the loss because its such a hassel to deal with the __________. It's just very sad how people are and what our great country is turning into because of em. Good thing there is parker fourm with some good ol boys to jaw with. ch
Unread 10-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Calvin: Very pleased that the end result was not a catastrophe. Maybe they don't like gun stuff. I guess they handle "gazillions" of packages but my luck with them has not been great. Last order from Brownell's arrived like this. I did file a claim that was supposedly approved but to date haven't gotten any satisfaction. This goes back to July. I now ask for anything coming from USA to go through USPS. UPS charges a healthy brokerage fee that does not happen between the USPS and Canada Post.
Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ups.JPG (66.7 KB, 4 views)
Unread 10-14-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I guess i'm just an idiot for thinking a barrel in pvc pipe with a fragile sticker would be safe. schedule 40 pvc is pretty darn tough. ch obviously hindsight is 20 20.
Unread 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,990 Times in 1,428 Posts

For us non-plummers out here, how do you determine if it's schedule 40 or 80 and where can you buy the schedule 80 at your local hardware store?
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,758 Times in 733 Posts

Chuck,

Go to the electrical department of any Home Depot or Lowes. It is grey and will say shedule 80 on the side in black letters. It is about twice as thick as schedule 40.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Let me help you here Chuck
Unread 10-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Let me help you here Chuck

You don't need to be either a "Plummer" aka- Christopher, or a "Plumber" which comes not from Plumb, Level and in Square- but from Pb or Plumbe- the Latin word for lead- as were the original feed and possibly drain pipes for older houses- we all know Lead is a "No-No' for paint, and unfortunately, also for hunting dem ol' webfeets-

Pipe schedule is a numerical scale, just as are the gauges of our beloved shotty-guns-, but in reverse- Schedule 80 has a greater wall thickness than Schedule 40-- 20 is a higher number than 12, but we all know which number represents the larger bore dia. in a scattergun-

I use nothing but PVC schedule 80 pipe with appropriate sized caps for shipping barrels, or any other tubular object and wrap the item(s) with bubble wrap, and pad both ends. Lowe's, Home Depot or any quality builder's suppy outfit should have schedule 80 PVC- or they can get it for you- usually comes in 10 ft. lengths- according to my ASTM sheet, Code D-1785- a 3" I.D. schedule 40 PVC pipe will have a nom. wall thickness of 1/4"- so the O.D. is then 3 & 1/2"- and then the Cap I.D. would be the same- BUT schedule 80 has a nom. wall thickness of 3/8" so the O.D. is then 3 & 3/4"- I can also check the crush strength ratings in PSI for both 40 and 80 if you'd like-

Calvin- you were lucky that the barrels weren't damaged- under normal conditions your packaging process would have been A-OK- but with the "Fragile" tag- sorta like a red flag in front of a angry bull-

Last edited by Francis Morin; 10-14-2010 at 07:36 PM..
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 10-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,990 Times in 1,428 Posts

Harry and Francis, thanks for your reply to a non-plumber and Christopher Plummer is a fine actor.

One last question, can I get the pipe in damascus PVC or do I have to stick with fluid PVC?
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,758 Times in 733 Posts

Chuck,

I have bent a lot of PVC. You put it in a long rectangular box with heating elements and turn it until you think it is flexable enough to get the bend you want. I've had some come out looking like it was Damascus and or twist.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 10-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,369 Times in 12,412 Posts

[QUOTE=Chuck Bishop;25795]Harry and Francis, thanks for your reply to a non-plumber and Christopher Plummer is a fine actor.QUOTE]

Well and good, but the question remains..... Who is Joseph Plummer???
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

R.J. Anton was a well known stockmaker from this area,Waterloo,Iowa, and he shipped and received dozens, if not hundreds, of guns through the Hudson,Iowa post office where my father was postmaster. Dad told me he shipped them without a hitch for the time dad was postmaster and he was insuring some of the guns for up to $10grand.This was in the late 60's and early 70's.I think USPS is a better way to go but often it is the "luck of the draw" that prevails.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Delk For Your Post: