Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Two Toms, two different Parkers.
Unread 05-10-2017, 09:38 PM   #1
Quack me up!
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Two Toms, two different Parkers.

I had my best year ever this spring on turkeys. On Apr. 19 my opening day for my season, as we have to choose a time period and can not hunt the entire season unless archery hunting. I killed my biggest bird ever at 7:23am, 25 1/2lbs in my home state of MN. I shot it using a new to me, DH Damascus 12ga 30" bbls #2 frame that I bought from a member here. I used some handloads that my cousin put together for me. 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz #5 at approx. 1100fps with a fairly low pressure of approx. 8000.
I had two birds gobbling in the distance behind me in the woods. I was set up with my back to the woods facing a disked cornfield. They sounded like they were slowly coming closer but in no hurry. I did some aggressive cutting and purring on my slate call and they gobbled instantly so I just shut up at that point. It probably wasn't five minutes and they came out to my left and headed right up to my strutting Tom decoy. I waited for them to separate from each other as they were hanging tight together and I didn't want to hit both birds. Killed him at approx. 20yds. I like my birds close so I have a self imposed limit of about 28yds for all my turkey hunts. I figure that way I did my job and got them in close and if they lock up at a further distance, then tomorrow is another day. It was even more satisfying as my wife also shot here biggest bird ever, 26lbs 3oz the following day although she hasn't caught the Parker disease yet so she was using her Benelli.

My WI hunt also was great as I shot a double bearded bird at 7:42 am on May 4, day two of my WI hunt. I used a new to me, 10ga twist, top lever hammer gun 32" bbls on a #3 frame with RST 2 7/8" 1 1/4oz #6 loads.
I believe this was a bird I had pitch off the roost about 80yds from me at 5:24 that morning but he headed straight south and didn't really show interest in my dekes or my calling. I had a half strut Jake and a hen decoy out. I saw him meet up with another tom and two hens when he got to be about 125 yds from me and continued to head south. At about 7:30 I saw a hen come back over the crest of the hill heading north and soon after I saw the tips of his tail feathers as he strutted coming over the crest also.
The hen headed east and much to my surprise he didn't follow her but instead headed my way. Since calling didn't seem to draw him in earlier, if it was the same Tom?, I decide to not call at all and hopefully let the decoys work their magic.. He headed in my general direction but not right at me. When he was about 75yds away he started to head my way. The heart started pumping as always happens when things look promising. He came right up to my Jake decoy at about 18-20yds and the 10ga did its job.
I couldn't have been happier taking these two birds using two new guns. I was definitely blessed this year.
I brought my camera out the remaining days of the season as my cousin was still hunting, but not right by me, and I wanted to try for some good turkey pictures. On Friday I put the Jake and hen dekes out again and I called in another Tom and three Jakes from the north and they came right in to the Jake decoy. It was unbelievable as that Tom beat up on the decoy for an hour and fifteen minutes steady, never left. I was able to take several hundred pictures as he was totally keyed in on that Jake. He never once paid any attention to the hen decoy even as one of the Jakes was pushing her around.
We finally had to slowly shoo him away as we had to meet another cousin for lunch who came in to town to meet us. I once had a hen do the same thing to another hen decoy for over two solid hours and it was within 20yds of this same spot.
Top two pictures are my MN bird.
Bottom three pictures are my WI bird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170419_124219222 - Copy.jpg (329.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170419_124609458 - Copy.jpg (335.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170504_141112799 - Copy.jpg (277.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170504_163128320 - Copy.jpg (299.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170506_185455439 - Copy.jpg (171.6 KB, 9 views)
Bob Dombeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #2
Quack me up!
PGCA Member

Member Info

I watched the picture resize tutorial so I'll give it a try soon.
Thanks.
Unread 05-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #3
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,545 Times in 502 Posts

Bob: Looks like you had a very nice hunt and I like the picture size. It is easy to see with these old eyes. I hunted around Fergas Falls but weather did us in but will return and hopefully shoot my first Turkey. Great photos by the way. I love the one on the corn crib. Thomas
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Nice job!

Man, they sure grow 'em big in your neck of the woods!!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wow, great story and great pics.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #6
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Nice birds!
Reggie Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

It is hard to find a on ear corn crib any more. And I live in Iowa. Fantastic background for hunting pictures. Much better than the ubiquitous tailgate picture. Your photos are great.
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Christie For Your Post:
Unread 05-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #8
Quack me up!
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Christie View Post
It is hard to find a on ear corn crib any more. And I live in Iowa. Fantastic background for hunting pictures. Much better than the ubiquitous tailgate picture. Your photos are great.
Thanks. I am very lucky as we are able to hunt on my uncle's dairy farm in southeast Minnesota. They still do most of their things the old school way as they are a small family operation. They still make the small rectangle hay bales also which you do not see many of anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Dombeck For Your Post:
Unread 05-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

you sure had a great hunt this is the first corn i have seen put up this way... i really liked the pictures both beautifal birds....i once knew a man who limited his shots on turkey at35 yards he also used low powered shells no 7 1/2s.....the man had killed hundreds of turkeys in his life time....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Your new DH
Unread 05-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #10
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Your new DH

Again I'm so happy you scored with my old gun just as I was able to for 2 seasons. That big rascal is a turkey killing cannon and will digest about anything. I did some long range dove shooting with it but is a handful and doesn't swing like lighter guns. Best to you and keep sending pictures of the old girl and her exploits. Best David
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davidboyles For Your Post: