Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 04-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #11
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,547 Times in 503 Posts

Charlie: It is good to see you out and about and enjoying yourself turkey hunting and scoring a nice gobbler.I was out in 20 degree weather with lite snow and freezing rain and no luck. When I got home I asked my wife if my ass seemed smaller and see said why and I said because I just froze it off. Thomas
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas L. Benson Sr. For Your Post:
Unread 04-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #12
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sad news fellers but you can't get their from here (or there). Good job Charlie.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,789 Times in 3,967 Posts

well yester day was the closeing day of turkey season this year..i got up late to start with it was done daylight before i got going.anyway i gathered up my hunting stuff and got going...i got my decoys out 2 hens and 1 jake the wind was blowing in gusts of 20 to 40 miles an hour the wind would blow the decoys one way then the wind would change blowing the other way...i got into my blind i told myself i was wasteing my time but i was wrong..the first turkey i seen was a big gobbler in full strut my calls could not lure him with in range for a shot..i think he must have had hens with him i watched him 45 minutes doing his thing...he then disappered..the nect turkey i seen had slipped up on me he was at 100 yards just feeding..i gave my best calls he started toward me but hung up at 80 yards he was very warying of the decoys i watched him for 2 hours then he left..next was a pair of gobblers at 250 yards they had 1 hen with them but they even looked so much my way i watched them over 4 hours finally when they fed out of my sight i got out of the blind and went home...if that one gobbler had come 20 yards closer i guess i would have tried the old 10 ga out...any was the windest day i have ever hunted and seen more mature gobblers than i ever seen in one day..so all ended well....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 05-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #14
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

That is more luck than I have had, Charlie. Sounds like an exciting hunt
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2017, 10:27 PM   #15
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Maybe the wind is the secret. It is supposed to be windy here Thursday. Of course it is also supposed to be storming also.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #16
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,679 Times in 870 Posts

When it is raining or windy they always go to the fields, since one of the two most important senses, hearing, is greatly affected and vision is also affected by moving trees and leaves.

If a turkey could smell as well as a deer, none would ever be killed if it was added to their exceptional vision and hearing. Windy or wet is to be used to the hunter's advantage to move around and to them if you know where they are.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 05-07-2017, 05:57 AM   #17
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've found decoys to be hit and miss. Later in the season I think Gobblers just get tired of fighting and I switch to a hen decoy only. Never had a gobbler shy away from a hen decoy, but have had them turn around and run from a strutting decoy or even a jake decoy late in the season. I think for them its like the 12 round of a 12 round fight. They are tired, wore out, hungry and just want to eat some food and take a nap.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom tutwiler For Your Post:
Unread 05-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #18
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,679 Times in 870 Posts

I never use anything except a hen decoy. I don't trust any of the hunters around me. And then I still don't fell 100% safe.

I believe decoys are a 50% proposition, and often lock up out of range a turkey who spots them, and might otherwise come in and try to find the source of the calling. The other 50% of the time they draw them like a magnet.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 05-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #19
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,789 Times in 3,967 Posts

i agree with your thinking jerry...my dad once set up a jake decoy and when the gobbler seen it he went into a full run the other way....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 05-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #20
Quack me up!
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am the opposite as far as using Jake/Tom decoys. I killed my Tom in MN this year using a full strut Tom decoy. I had two Toms come in together right to the decoy and my WI bird came in to a half strut Jake decoy. Both times I also had a hen decoy out as well. I very seldom use just a hen without either the Jake or Tom decoy.
I absolutely have had birds also turn and go the other way when they see my dekes but I've had more positive responses than negative. That's what I love about the sport, you never know what the individual bird wants on any given day.
Bob Dombeck is offline   Reply With Quote