Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 04-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #11
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

A serious gun friend from Moab Utah went to Argentina for doves many years back and took his restored/restocked ideal grade(I think) 20ga LC Smith. He and a few others took 5500 doves in a few days and the ONLY gun still 100% operable in the end was the LC Smith. Every other gun of all sorts had totally or partially malfunctioned. I've seen the pictures; he had a pretty big grin on his face in the end and was pretty proud that his LC made it through. I suspect most any Parker in good shape would breeze through a trip like that with few if any issues.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 12:48 AM   #12
nid-28
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've had a 16 and a 20 ga. M21 on trips to South America with me. Never an issue with either gun.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #13
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Reggie PM sent.
Unread 04-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #14
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,409 Times in 293 Posts

Rich -

I look forward to extending our conversations on hunting together. I am looking forward to making that happen sooner than later...... And I do enjoy a quail hunt!! If not quail we should chase some grouse!

We can firm things up in PA this summer! Wont be long now!

Mark

– Gordon MacQuarrie, The Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, 1985
MARK KIRCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #15
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

I look forward to it Mark. Grouse camp always carries an open invitation.
Unread 04-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #16
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

I've been to Argentina multiple times for dove & pigeons. I've always taken my own guns with the thought of it wouldn't be the same without "My Guns"

As other have said the hassles of taking my guns has continually gotten harder with more hassles both on the Argentina end & the airlines. On one trip, LAN airlines messed up in Cordoba check-in & sent a friends Model-21 20ga & his Fox Sterlingworth ejector 20ga to Mexico city instead of Dallas. He was never able to recover those guns!!! I ended up finding a B. Rizzini 20ga Artemis with some poor storage issues for $800.00 I thought Oh boy perfect Argentina gun, if it gets lost no big deal. It's now made three trips without a hitch.

Now with all that said. I'm planning another Argentina adventure for 2018. This time though I wont be taking a gun with me & will rent one. The airport hassle alone makes it worth while to go this way, you just check in, kick back and enjoy the experience. I enjoy shooting Argentina and will continue to do so, but this is the one shooting venue where I'll put the abuse on someone else's guns.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #17
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,028 Times in 1,164 Posts

I took my own guns to Argentina and was tense about it to say the least. A DHE Parker 12 gauge and a Remington Autoloading Shotgun (forerunner of the Model 11).

When I went back a couple years later we got caught up in a mess with the BA Airport shutting down when we were about an hour out and being reverted to Chile for landing. We got stuck there for three days, finally gave up and headed home. We never saw our guns from the time we left NYC and I just assumed I'd never get them back. But after a week or so they magically reappeared and I was able to get them.

In that mess I lost about $5000 in fees and sort of decided that was my last big shooting trip to a third world country. I'd like to go to South Africa on a wingshooting trip but I'd want to take my own guns and just don't know as I'd have the courage.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 04-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #18
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

I haven't flown with a gun in about 13 years and I can't say I would want to now.
Unread 04-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #19
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Several friends and I are looking at a trip to Uruguay for perdiz and doves. A first trip for us. The main pleasure of having a nice gun is using it. Would love to take GH and DHE 16's but am all but sure that 2 1/2 shells are out of the question. Guess if the trip works out I take my RBL 20 but rather be shooting a Parker.
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2017, 10:58 AM   #20
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,555 Posts

IMHO, a 16 is too much gun. On my trip to Argentina, we were shooting nearly 1,000 shells a day. Ideally, I think one wants a 20 gauge with a recoil pad. I set up a Beretta Silver Pigeon, with long barrels and a recoil pad. It's not a lightweight, and that's a plus for high volume shooting