Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #81
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,915 Times in 1,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lewis View Post
Many years ago when I was in the Navy, we could send and receive classified documents using registered mail. It may have been more secure back then but it still seems secure when I use it today. There are many hoops to jump through when using it. The one that is a pain for me, is finding "paper" tape to cover every (all) seams in the package. They require a paper tape so they can stamp it liberally making it obvious if it is tampered with (opened). That paper tape is almost impossible for me to locate but I understand why the require it.

Years ago, a fine gunsmith advised me to always use registered mail. I have used it many times and never had a problem. Its not the cheapest way to ship but it may be the most secure.
Robin, USPS Registered mail is not bulletproof either. Last year I sent out my NH 10ga barrels to Brad Bachelder for refinishing. I shipped it USPS registered and payed to have it returned the same way. I noted on the way out there was no scanning to show the package's progress on the trip. When BB was done they called to tell me my barrels were shipped, USPS registered, insured and gave the tracking number. My barrels went overdue in arriving. I became a very squeeky wheel with the Postmaster where they were shipped from. Several days went by with no success. It was then I started to hear how sometimes Registered mail does get lost, no gaurantees etc. Finally the barrels were located, allegedly sitting in a safe in a Chicago mailing facility. When they found them they said all set you'll have them in a week. I was already 15 days from shipping which allows for an insurance claim to be filed. I politely complained some more and asked them to make up for the inconvenience I had to deal with and asked they be overnighted from Chicago. They were on my doorstep the next day.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #82
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,683 Times in 1,644 Posts

John, congrat's on getting back your gun and opening your own practice, it's expensive I know, but will pay handsomely in the future. Good luck
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #83
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Very good news, Dr. John, congratulations on both getting your Parker back and your new practice.
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKinney For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #84
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,644 Times in 3,447 Posts

Glad you got'er back !
Unread 02-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #85
Allen Peterson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great News on finding you gun John. Best of luck in the Practice. If I need my teeth worked on I will send them to you insured and registered.
Al
Chesapeake
Allen Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allen Peterson For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #86
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

Al thats a good one. I like it.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #87
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,032 Posts

Take a lesson from the scene in "Animal House" where the 'Hitler Youth' switch the mimeograph carbon (remember them?!) copy of the Psych 101 Midterm Exam that the old front office docent throws in the trash, knowing that the 'Deltas' will send a man by later that night after the trash is emptied, thinking they've got the answers that will help them ace the exam. Your 'hazardous waste' disposal manuever is now a very dated but effective version of the same thing, usually triggered by the realization that the 'perp(s)' are close to being cornered and facing a federal mail fraud rap. Easiest way out? Trash the item after lining up another wastrel operative to retrieve it from the dumpster so everyone can get well before it hits the landfill or the furnace. If not and the item goes 'grease', , no one along the investigative train is any the wiser. No one makes any money, but then no one goes to jail either. Remember, these doofi (plural of doofuses) are clever but not too bright; when it's time to confront reality, most of them will opt for a clean pair of Jockeys rather than lock and load under the NightSun.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote