Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 01-19-2020, 10:30 PM   #11
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Todd,
She is a beautiful dog, look at that face!! I have been seriously talking to my wife about purchasing some acreage and putting up a house with a series of R.V. hookups for friends that want to come up and have a place to hunt, or stay and do bird training. We have been looking at and researching raising birds for that, and selling the extra birds to preserves. My wife works 2nd shift at a long term care facility and assisted living facility. She is wore out, they are short staffed all the time. If we could find the right parcel, we might do that. It would be easier on her, she could semi-retire and enjoy her life more. Who knows what our future holds, but she sure loves dogs, and if I could find something for her that is dog related, she would enjoy that. Congratulations on your new dog, I hope she gives you years of enjoyment. I am hoping someone in here that knows a good family for that dog will get in contact with Chuck.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2020, 10:56 PM   #12
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,125 Posts

A young family in Las Vegas bought her from a pet store at 12 weeks old because she was a cute puppy.
They had no idea what they were getting into. Non hunters, no clue about training a GSP, and with a 300 square foot back yard.
It has been quite a challenge, to say the least. She had zero obedience training, and never been around a gun.
Obedience training is an ongoing thing. Gun training was a snap, then came the introduction to birds.
Her prey drive is off the hook! She catches scent from 50 yards. Outperforms the old dogs, and puts in a solid performance in the field. Not retrieving yet, but hopefully will get there. I'm thinking she will be ready for the 2020 season.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2020, 07:31 AM   #13
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

We got our dog from a young couple that went through a divorce, the guy moved into a condo and the dog barked constantly, they kept him in a kennel when they left. This young mans grandpa had 22 brittanies, the breeder later told me the young man was the one he worried about the least when taking one of their puppies home. (The breeder does his best to screen prospective owners) Cash was 2.5 years old, no formal training either, and he weighed 69 pounds. When my wife and I walked him every day, he started settling down (he would chew up any mattress or padding in his kennel), then we got him a shock collar, and let him start running. He turned into a different dog then, my wife literally ran that dog every day. His first night staying with us we set his kennel up similar to where he was, in the living room, and we sleep upstairs. That lasted about 20 seconds after the lights went out I went down and pulled the kennel right next to a recliner and slept there that night, I put my fingers inside the bars, he licked me for 20 minutes and finally fell asleep. The breeder told me he does not start seriously training his dogs until they are about a year old. His last field champion was michigan gun dog of the year from 2010 to 2015 and runner up in 2016, beckham is now about 11 years old I think. Because of a couple of situations, my wife and I thought he was gun shy and probably would not hunt. That was devestating to me, I promised my wife if our dog did not hunt, he would be a good family dog and we would keep him. Hap told us to wait until next spring, and he would help us with our dog. After Hap evaluated him that next spring and said he will be hunting next fall, that was one of the best moments in my life!! I really think he realized what a better situation he has now, and responded well to it, and I think your dog did the same. Congratulations, it sounds like you got a good dog, and thanks for getting her in a good home.
Unread 01-20-2020, 08:08 AM   #14
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

I got beckhams age wrong, he was 9 years old when he was runner up in Michigan, so he must be 13 years old now, my how time flies. Beckham went to a couple with a daughter as a pup, the daughter named him Beckham after the soccer superstar. After a year or so, the couple decided that the dog was to much for them if I remember correctly. Hap took beckham back and started training him. The rest is history, and we are lucky enough to have that breeders help with our dog
Unread 01-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #15
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I got in contact with Chuck regarding the GSP discussed. He has found a new home.
Unread 01-20-2020, 06:40 PM   #16
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Rich,
Chuck sent me a video last year showing their dogs (about 10 dogs) in the kitchen waiting for their evening meal. I wish I could figure out how to put it on this site. He and his wife make all the dogs sit quietly until they get fed. I have never seen anything like that. Hopefully the G.S.P. found a good home, thanks to everyone who had an interest in helping this dog out too.
Unread 01-20-2020, 10:09 PM   #17
John Marscher
PGCA Member

Member Info

If something falls through I would take the pup.
John Marscher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Marscher For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2020, 10:20 PM   #18
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Marscher View Post
If something falls through I would take the pup.
John,
The dog is 6 years old, I wanted to make sure you knew that when you mentioned "pup" I would e mail chuck and let him know that if something does not work out, you would take the dog. I also can PM his phone number if you would rather talk to Chuck on the phone. And thanks for offering
Unread 01-20-2020, 10:31 PM   #19
John Marscher
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yes, I would prefer a started dog over a puppy and have been keeping an eye out for one. Please forward me his phone number and I will contact Chuck in case something falls through. Hope the dog would like lowcountry humidity and quail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0267-2.jpg (199.5 KB, 1 views)
John Marscher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Marscher For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2020, 10:42 PM   #20
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

John,
PM sent, and thank you!!