Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Any idea what the pressue is like on new Herters Target loads?
Unread 01-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
Copper John
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Any idea what the pressue is like on new Herters Target loads?

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the new herters loads shown here:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/HERT...SE/3450421.uts

Wondering if they would be low pressure enough to shoot through old guns with 2.75 chambers... looks like in 12 ga they are between 1145 and 1180 fps..

Appreciate any input!
"Everybody knows that the autumn landscape in the northwoods is the land, plus a red maple, plus a ruffed grouse. In terms of conventional physics, the grouse represents only a millionth of either the mass or the energy of an acre. Yet subtract the grouse and the whole thing is dead." - Aldo Leopold
John Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #2
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,793 Times in 651 Posts

I have only shot the new Herter's in 410. They don't seem to have as much
recoil as the old Herter's shells did.
Jeff Kuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,824 Times in 2,016 Posts

You may have to send them out to be tested if you really want to know. I believe Precision Reloading and Tom Armbruster will do that.
I really liked the previous Herters LOw Recoil 1 oz 12 ga load at 1060 fps--I shot them in my Fox Sterlingworth pin gun, but hesitated to use them in Damascus
hammer 12's because I couldn't find the pressure specs. Still have a case of them. I loaded up a couple hundred low pressure 7/8 oz loads for them this week. BUT if your guns are fluid steel, I would shoot those new herters.
Unread 01-17-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
Copper John
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
You may have to send them out to be tested if you really want to know. I believe Precision Reloading and Tom Armbruster will do that.
I really liked the previous Herters LOw Recoil 1 oz 12 ga load at 1060 fps--I shot them in my Fox Sterlingworth pin gun, but hesitated to use them in Damascus
hammer 12's because I couldn't find the pressure specs. Still have a case of them. I loaded up a couple hundred low pressure 7/8 oz loads for them this week. BUT if your guns are fluid steel, I would shoot those new herters.
Any idea what that pressure test would cost?
"Everybody knows that the autumn landscape in the northwoods is the land, plus a red maple, plus a ruffed grouse. In terms of conventional physics, the grouse represents only a millionth of either the mass or the energy of an acre. Yet subtract the grouse and the whole thing is dead." - Aldo Leopold
Unread 01-17-2020, 04:53 PM   #5
Copper John
Forum Associate

Member Info

Also any idea why the 1 1/8 oz load has lower fps vs the 1 oz load? Could it be that the heavier load actually has less pressure or would it only be less velocity?
Unread 01-17-2020, 05:48 PM   #6
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,239 Posts

Factory 12 gauge, 2 3/4 dram equivalent, 1 1/8 oz. loads are listed as 1145 fps. The 1 oz. loads are listed as 1180 fps. Both are considered Light Target Loads. The fps for both loads is an average. Some brands deviate more than others. I have no idea what the PSI of the various brands are but I regularly shoot the 1 1/8 oz. shells in my Parker SBT's for singles trap and my GHE for the first target in doubles trap. Remington STS and Gun Club, Winchester AA, Federal Grands and Estates.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #7
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I will add that the 1 oz. loads seem to have less felt recoil than the 1 1/8 oz. loads with the same 2 3/4 dram equiv. So will some times go to the 1 oz. load for my first target in doubles.

Destry L. Hoffard
Unread 01-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #8
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,824 Times in 2,016 Posts

I don't know the cost, but don't think it is too much.
The pressures generated are not directly proportional to the weight of the load.
Recoil can be calculated knowing the weight of the gun, payload weight, and speed of payload.
Pressure depends on the burn rate of powder used, the hull itself, and wad used--I don't think their is any mathematical formula to calculate pressure, and it must be measured directly. At least that is what I believe to be true, not a physicist or engineer, however.
Unread 01-17-2020, 07:36 PM   #9
Copper John
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
I don't know the cost, but don't think it is too much.
The pressures generated are not directly proportional to the weight of the load.
Recoil can be calculated knowing the weight of the gun, payload weight, and speed of payload.
Pressure depends on the burn rate of powder used, the hull itself, and wad used--I don't think their is any mathematical formula to calculate pressure, and it must be measured directly. At least that is what I believe to be true, not a physicist or engineer, however.
I noticed on precision site that they will not test factory loads. I don’t understand why that would be.. I’d be very happy to pay thier $25 fee to test 5 shells..
Unread 01-17-2020, 07:59 PM   #10
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

When you send Tom your reloads to test, you detail for him what powder, primer, hull, size shot and wad you used, plus grains and payload. With factory loads Tom doesn't know all the detailed components used and factory loads can vary from time to time. With factory loads the fps may average the same but if components vary, the pressures can change. As long as pressures fall within the standards, manufacturers don't care.

Destry L. Hoffard
The Following User Says Thank You to John Davis For Your Post: