Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

2023 was a good year, and you?
Unread 01-03-2024, 06:13 PM   #1
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,430 Times in 1,647 Posts

Default 2023 was a good year, and you?

Looking back on 2023 it was a good year,. I made the Southern, Hausmann's, Rock Mountain and the Vintagers. It was great getting to socialize and shoot with so many like minded people. All the collecting organizations seem strong and ready to flourish into the future. Duck hunting was a challenge this year but bird numbers and habitat conditions run on long cycles. Given the absence of ducks, I was still out in the marsh many days with friends, family and my pups. Parker collecting was a highlight in 23, I added 4 very nice examples. I added two great Foxes and a couple of fine Else's. Sold a like number to keep the inventory from getting out of control. Looking forward to 24 as I have a new pup coming in a couple of weeks. We have a winter SxS clays group that shoots every Sunday during our long and cold upstate winters. Not sure if I will make the Southern or attend the National Decoy Show and Auction in Chicago the same weekend. Hausmann's is booked. I promised myself NO MORE GUNS IN 2024, like my attempts at dieting I wonder how long I can hold out.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2024, 06:46 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
I promised myself NO MORE GUNS IN 2024, like my attempts at dieting I wonder how long I can hold out.
Did you have your fingers crossed?
Unread 01-03-2024, 07:35 PM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

I bought three guns and none stayed with me longer than a couple weeks ! I did buy a partial box of 8 gauge buckshot , some brass 10 gauge hulls and a 1937 Parker brochure spiral bound . This is the first year I remember not buying a gun to keep . I might add I sold over a dozen guns of which there were two 8 gauges several 10’s a couple 12’s a couple 16’s a couple 20’s and an SC .
Unread 01-03-2024, 07:38 PM   #4
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I did Sanford , Hausemann’s , Koneski’s and the Vintage Cup with several one day things at Prospect Hall as well as the VA Vintagers events . This year was more about socializing than shooting . I did four tower deals at Prospect Hall and a quail thing at Rasawek . But I gotta say deer season has been working one me more and more each year for the last five or six years . Have taken a good amount and am glad I decided to do the opener in WVA but I finally came to the realization I can’t go at it like I used to ! Legal bucks go out in VA this Saturday but antlerless in my county goes until March 31st but I’m not sure how much good that will do me ! I’ll be in the Philippines from 3/11/24 until mid March so that cuts three weeks off and I’ll be in Argentina the last six days of February , plus the getting out of the bed early has kinda left me LOL’s . Early in the season I was up easily now not so much . It’s my “intention” to do Sanford this year as well as Koneski’s but only others I plan to do are one day deals at Prospect Hall and the VA Vintagers and quite possibly a one day deal in southern IN . Again this years more about seeing people than the bling apologies to the guy with the cane in Susquehanna county PA !!! Although I’ll tryin doing seven events at his shoot !
Unread 01-03-2024, 08:14 PM   #5
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

Hey hey there Craig! No cane since 12/9. I hope to be behind my dogs guiding or hunting birds in 2-3 weeks! I had a good 2023. Picked up three Parkers, one was an 8g PH from Craig. 😎 Also scored a really nice Lefever 12g 32” with a lot of condition. Shot the Spring and Fall Southerns, Hausmann’s and one day of the VGC. Added a lot of bling to the cabinets. We had a good year chasing pheasants. Filled all my deer tags. Had a lot of fun putting some guys into Parker guns. Have to grow Parker Universe when we can! I did score a nice collection of Parker paper. Original catalogs, a couple of nice repros, factory letters and hang-tags, etc…
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 01-03-2024, 08:24 PM   #6
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

Rough year for team Tennessee. Picked up a couple culls. Moved out a few. Hoping 2024 brings something better my way.
Unread 01-03-2024, 08:59 PM   #7
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
Rough year for team Tennessee. Picked up a couple culls. Moved out a few. Hoping 2024 brings something better my way.
I found the best way to fix all the stuff I had that needed fixing was to SELL IT for someone else to deal with . And some that I thought needed changes the folks that bought them might have been satisfied as they were
Unread 01-03-2024, 09:01 PM   #8
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Hey hey there Craig! No cane since 12/9. I hope to be behind my dogs guiding or hunting birds in 2-3 weeks! I had a good 2023. Picked up three Parkers, one was an 8g PH from Craig. 😎 Also scored a really nice Lefever 12g 32” with a lot of condition. Shot the Spring and Fall Southerns, Hausmann’s and one day of the VGC. Added a lot of bling to the cabinets. We had a good year chasing pheasants. Filled all my deer tags. Had a lot of fun putting some guys into Parker guns. Have to grow Parker Universe when we can! I did score a nice collection of Parker paper. Original catalogs, a couple of nice repros, factory letters and hang-tags, etc…
Godfrey told me Saturday at Prospect Hall he’s going in a couple weeks to get a knee replacement but he’s planning on making the Southern .
Unread 01-03-2024, 09:43 PM   #9
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Overall 2023 was a pretty good year , Planted a couple of food plots that did well ,managed to keep my tractors running well enough to get some corn in and shot a Nice 8 Point in archery season just as rut was kicking in along the creek that runs through the bottom of my property ! Also managed to shoot a handful of Long Tailed Pheasants with my CHE 20 Gauge over my Buddies new English Pointer Pup ! My Parker collecting was minimal although I did manage to Purchase a Gun I have been searching for for years ,ever since I read about the Trojan Grades that had been built with Twist barrels ,I wanted one, Lo and Behold right here on our site , Mr. James Palmer listed 173901,A Trojan with Twist Steel Barrels the actual one listed in the Parker Story I had read about years before ! A little rough around the edges and some boogered up screws but a quick trip up to Lou Rotelli's for new screws and a minor cleaning and some light wood touch up she looks nearly new " Minus All Case Colors " and I couldn't be happier with it ! A Trojan Grade 12 Gauge , built on a # 1 Frame with The Original Twist Steel Barrels , How about That ! Now that makes a Good Year !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2024, 10:40 PM   #10
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,083 Times in 470 Posts

I was blessed with another great year collecting. Sold a few good ones and added some really cool guns. Highlights include a 32” Sterly 20 gauge, 32” BHE 12, 32” VHE 20 gauge with a 2nd set of factory 28” barrels, DHE 20 with 28” barrels, 28 and 20 gauge reproductions both with 2 sets of barrels. (I really love the repros) Also was blessed to carry Parkers in the grouse woods of Maine, New Hampshire, Upper Peninsula of Michigan and several day trips to northern lower Michigan. Most importantly, I’ve developed wonderful friendships within the collecting community. My cup runneth over.
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote