Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Unread 08-23-2021, 10:37 PM   #11
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 2,014 Posts

Thanks Jeff, I'll try and post some pictures
Unread 09-06-2021, 07:28 AM   #12
john pulis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harold,

How was the shoot at the Biltmore? Any pics?
john pulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #13
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for asking John. It was an extremely foggy, misty morning, had rained all night. The views of the mountain ranges were obscured. It was a nice course, nice traps, but still I had thought would be nicer. Roy Sislers Hunting Hills is nicer IMHO, with a beautiful course and scenery of the Chestnut Ridge of the Allegheny Mtns. I shot a WW Greener 12 ga sidelever with 30 barrels. I shot quite well on the first half of the course but then fell apart on the second half. Still, I shot my average, mediocre scores in the mid 60's--there were others far better shooting dedicated SC guns, and many others far worse. I had not seen my brother in 2 years because of covid, and his twin sons, both doctors, and my sister from Charlotte came also, so had a great family reunion. Went to the seafood buffett at the Omni Grove Park Inn in Ashville, what a magnificant place.
There had been devastating floods in that area about a week before and there was much devastation in the towns along the rivers and creeks. I wish I could have stayed longer and helped my brother and his church who were doing flood relief. I know Mike McKinney lives in that area and pray you did not have any problems.
Unread 09-06-2021, 12:47 PM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

When a clays course like The Biltmore is booked weeks ahead of time, there are always dropouts. A handful of ten dollar bills go a long way to get you in place. However, I don't know whether I could stand the cost of rounds. I have spent time in Asheville and Hendersonville and I love the area. However, I never took the time to do the Biltmore tour.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2021, 01:22 PM   #15
john pulis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harold,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you had a good time with family, glad to hear. I have been to that restaurant and it is very good. Hope all goes well with those in need of assistance.

John
john pulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #16
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks for the well wishes! We were fine, the damage was a lot more severe in the southern and eastern parts of Haywood County which includes the town of Canton and the communities of Cruso and Bethel. It was an unusually bad storm for our mountains, I think 6 killed, houses, campers, bridges and roads washed away.
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKinney For Your Post:
Unread 09-06-2021, 08:47 PM   #17
Jeff S.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harold. Thanks for the report sounds like time spent with the family was the highlight. I've only been to the Smoky Mountains a couple of times and the weather sure can be an issue. I'll bet it was a beautiful course. Jeff
Jeff Stegmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #18
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,121 Posts

I've never shot the course there, but the Christmas tour of the "big house" is unbelievable. Words cannot describe the decorations you will see there. I'm not big on decorating, at any occasion, but even I was "wowed". It's something you won't ever forget.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 11-04-2021, 06:07 AM   #19
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Stan, my brother, a veterinarian, lives about 15 minutes from the Biltmore, and has a season pass for it. He says it is unbelievably beautiful at Christmas.
Unread 11-04-2021, 06:46 AM   #20
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,121 Posts

It is, indeed. We waited on the front porch that Christmas Eve until they opened the doors for the candlelight tour, and there was a hard north wind cutting through our clothing. But, it was worth the wait. The Christmas tree in the big room has to be seen to be believed. It is HUGE! But, not just the tree, every room in that gigantic mansion is fully decorated.

For a virtual tour see this:

https://www.biltmore.com/things-to-do/events/christmas/

Best, SRH
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote