Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-15-2017, 07:52 AM   #31
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Yeah Dean. Refinished, oversanded some against the metal and checkering not completely correct. But wood itself is original.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 11-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #32
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Thanks guys for all the input. It is a good solid hunting Parker and the only one I have with 26" barrels and the ejectors make it extra nice for me.
Reggie Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 11-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #33
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Sounds like a great upland gun!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #34
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I agree. 26 inch barrels are great for hunting tight cover and brush. I would almost say essential but that would be from my view and probably a contested debate for others in various situations. I have two other sxs that are not Parkers that I use to bang around when hunting in mean cover or if going to a place where I am not worried about getting guns knocked around a bit. Both have 26 inch barrels in 20 and 28 gauge. They have done very well for me in tight cover and my firm conviction on using a 26 inch barrel for close quarter hunting has paid off way too many times.

I like the 28 gauge a lot and it does well on these put out bird hunts. Used it at one of those big plantations in Georgia and was hunting end of season on a corporate boondoggle trip. Thought would just be hunting quail or would have brought the 20. Seems throughout the season they also put out a lot of pheasant with some that get away, turned out to be a lot. We followed a dog point and got into a 5 to 7 acre tangled plot of scrub oak, thorny locust, sprouting pine, sagebrush, honey suckle and thickets of briars that would tear your clothes off trying to get through.

It looked like a grouse or woodcock fortress that I had been in once before in Minnesota, except this brush bites with all those thorns and with a cover hitting about 10 to 15 feet tall that was tight and had narrow shooting lanes. Perfect for a 26 inch barreled upland gun. We stumbled in a few yards and discovered that thicket was full off pheasant and quail that had been running wild for a couple of months. The guides swore they had no idea those birds were there since it was sort of off the beaten track of areas they worked. They had suspected some quail might be there and just left it alone as part of their quail restoration project. They said there was no way they lost track of this many pheasant and that they had to of made their way from a nearby plantation a few miles away that did continental pheasant hunts. Radios started going off like crazy and all I heard was "get here", "wait for me", and better bring extra shells".

Me and about 3 other guides had a blast and we shot 95 of those birds on one pass. We decided to not to shoot at any quail since some may make it in the wild and hence just focused on pheasants. Birds were coming up about every 20 to 30 seconds and were flying hard and strong when flushed. There were 6 dogs working and when we made it to other side of plot we still left probably half of the pheasant running around. We all looked like we just went ten rounds with a covey of wildcats and were scratched up, bloody and sweaty messes. Dogs were spent. My fowling piece had a few new character marks. I only brought two boxes of 28 shells and ran out shells and had to be somewhere else plus daylight was fading. Only time a guide has said to me, "do you mind driving yourself back to lodge" and please don't tell anyone. I said gladly and tried to tip him but he almost wanted to fight me over it. I left money in is gun case anyway.

Those guides drop their birds, got some more shells and dogs and some other guides joined them on other side as I left and they all turned right back around and hit em again. Sounded like a war except everyone was giggling saying "can you believe this shstuff". I actually felt guilty and glad I ran out of shells. Those guides work hard all year and season and this was an unexpected bonus for them since they are hunters that most of the time don't get to shoot. They made up for it on that day. They were pretty certain that none of the pheasant would make it on their own so thought was get em when you can and maybe eliminate the temptation to predators and spare the quail. They had a job to do and those pheasant needed a mercy killing. I think term is euthanasia.

I also saw the plantation manager and owner the next morning as I was leaving. They had some shooting garb on. I asked was season over, they said in unison with a grin, "not yet". Pretty sure I know where they were going.

I was actually amazed at how well that 28 gauge did on pheasant with 7.5 shot. Since most shots were no more than 15 to 20 yards it was a perfect scenario. I shot a few down at about 30 but they were not clean kills and I figured I could be selective since did not have many shells. Done a good bit of bird hunting and that was craziest epic day of hunting in thick cover that I have ever had. I think it was one of those days where everything just comes together. My guess was by that same time next year that thicket would have been damn near impenetrable almost from the briars alone.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 11-15-2017 at 06:05 PM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote