Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 04-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #11
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

My opinion is that refinishing will not fix the cracks.
greg conomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #12
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,176 Times in 630 Posts

I sent the gun back first thing this morning. I really wish the barrel issues were just cosmetic. I shouldered it one more time before I packed it and thought about how unfortunate the situation was. This was my first D grade and a 10 with everything I wanted: 32” barrels, English/Straight stock, chokes that I liked and it felt good. If only…

Given what I paid I didn’t feel like trying to find other barrels and felt it was best just to return it. I’ll be on the lookout for another one soon. I didn’t see anything online last night that I liked, but I am sure there is one out there for me. If nothing else I'll need to find a nice 10 since I have the RST shells now.

Thanks for all the responses and letting me vent as well as work through the situation on the forum.

This time tomorrow I’ll be at the Southern and hopefully have forgotten all this.

Thanks,
Jay
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #13
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,251 Posts

Jay: that is clearly a weld fracture, and looks to be between 2 rods (down the middle of a scroll), and not at the ribband edge weld. There also appears to be an impending fracture at 90 degrees almost forming a cross. It's possible this is the result of a repaired dent. Do you have the wall thickness measurement there?
The fracture looks to be about 10" from the breech and it is my opinion that no repair attempt should be made at that location.
Sorry for your let down (been there myself ), but thanks for posting. I added one of your images here, with an attribution
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/18015717

Can't make The Southern this year, but please say 'hi' to all the Parker fellas for me.
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 04-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #14
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,314 Posts

Jay that's too bad about your gun. I have a 12 ga lifter that had an issue uncovered during prep for refinishing. You can search my posts or read an article I wrote titled "Space Age Parker" in one of last years editions. I had extensive testing done but with a positive outcome.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 04-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #15
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,176 Times in 630 Posts

Drew, I was unable to take any barrel thickness measurements. As I get more into my Parker hobby/addiction I am realizing I need to invest in some tools would be beneficial and help me make some of my own evaluations. I am glad you were able to use one of the photos.

Mike, I did look at what you went through and I would likely be going down that path if I was unable to return the gun. It looked like you did get positive results. Under different circumstances, I would have kept the gun and looked for ways to fix and use it. However, I didn’t believe I was buying a project gun and am glad I was able to return the gun, even if miss it just a little. I’ll get over that.

Thanks for the comments,
Jay
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #16
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,314 Posts

I think you made the right call
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!