Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Unread 06-03-2018, 07:26 AM   #81
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

I’m glad to see you all are making progress on the damascus coloring process. It was too much for me. The collaboration is a great idea ... unless Russians are involved.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 06-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #82
Bill Graham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
Do you etch with ferric chloride or sulfuric acid?
Hey Harry. I just got an old PH today that is entirely brown. Since it couldn't make matters worse, I'm going to degrease it, plug the bores, and then submerge it in a very weak muriatic acid solution to see what it does with the twist pattern underneath the crud. I've used that solution on barrel flats with a q-tip to see what it would bring out, and it could be an interesting experiment. I will post before and after shots here when I try it.

This one is a tight 1892, uncut at either end, and with a fishtail top lever. The safety hardly moves it's so gunked up.
Bill Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Graham For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #83
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

That's a good experiment Bill. I'll be interested in the results. You will probably have to use a much less diluted solution of Muriatic acid. I tried muriatic acid years ago but I wasn't pleased with the results since it might be a bit too weak an acid to work consistently on barrels.

One thing that I always wanted to try was to boil Damascus barrels with a lot of original finish remaining but that has turned brown over time. I'd like to see if boiling them will convert the brown back to black. I believe that it should but I would like to know for sure.

I sure am interested in your experiment with muriatic acid and those brown barrels.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 05:47 PM   #84
Bill Graham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
One thing that I always wanted to try was to boil Damascus barrels with a lot of original finish remaining but that has turned brown over time. I'd like to see if boiling them will convert the brown back to black. I believe that it should but I would like to know for sure.
I think I'll try that first, but use my steam method. The exterior of the barrels are not all pitted up, but for a shooter maybe there's no need to polish them. Of course the bores are pitted, but that's a different issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Graham For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #85
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Bill....I never polish barrels with appreciable remaining original finish, Damascus or fluid steel, unless there are large dings or rust that must be removed. I don't like removing original finish or taking out the striking marks that are on most barrels DHE and below, especially the Trojan. I just take what is there and build on it. The added finish blends perfectly and enhances the old since weak areas of finish rust more than the stronger finish portions of the barrels. The finish all comes out even in the end and the barrels look like they did when they left the factory. The old cliché "less is more" is certainly true with Parkers.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #86
Bill Graham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
Bill....I never polish barrels with appreciable remaining original finish, Damascus or fluid steel, unless there are large dings or rust that must be removed. I don't like removing original finish or taking out the striking marks that are on most barrels DHE and below, especially the Trojan. I just take what is there and build on it.
Given then opportunity I do the same, however, the Parker's I can afford are typically dented, rusted, gouged, and in need of striking and polishing. I continue to get ribbed about my "project guns", and I will someday enjoy buying one in beautiful condition. In the meantime ......
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Graham For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #87
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Graham View Post
Given then opportunity I do the same, however, the Parker's I can afford are typically dented, rusted, gouged, and in need of striking and polishing. I continue to get ribbed about my "project guns", and I will someday enjoy buying one in beautiful condition. In the meantime ......
That is about how I am. I kind of enjoy bringing them back though
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 07:04 PM   #88
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i would like to see the 8 ga mills gun barrels brought back to new i think it would truly take a miricle...post us some pictures of your barrels as work proceeds on them....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 10:27 PM   #89
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Bill, on page 7 of this thread I posted a video link that spoke of what to dip Damascus barrels in that still have pattern. The conversation regarding the dip starts about the 12 minute mark. I can not make out what he said. If you and Tom or anyone for that matter with younger better ears could try to decipher what is said and share it we might have a short cut.
Thanks,
Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #90
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

That's an excellent video!
It's easy for me to hear and understand him. He uses a mild sulfuric acid solution in the first tank and a mild hydrochloric acid solution in the second tank and he refers to using this method in a black & white desired finish. He does not though, give specifics of the solution regarding ph or percent.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: