Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-28-2023, 01:37 PM   #31
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd allen View Post
I'm not an open choke guy, but in a 12 ga, cylinder chokes will break skeet targets all day long.
Full choke will break them all day long if you’ve got your head in the game . The average skeet target I think is 20-22 yards tops . Choke for all intents and purposes is an irrelavent commodity . Once one’s learned the game and understands you have more time than you originally thought it’s not difficult with tight chokes . When I shot competitively I had changeable chokes on the subgauge insert tubes and when practicing I always shot tighter chokes then for registered I used the more open chokes . The hardest part of skeet is keeping your mind in the game for 100 different milliseconds . Mechanics of the game are 5-15% but the nut on the stock is the other 85-95% .
Unread 12-28-2023, 02:14 PM   #32
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,135 Posts

Craig, I have never shot skeet in competition, but have done plenty of skeet shooting for fun.
We used to always shoot a round or two as a warm-up for sporting clays competition.
That said, we always shot skeet with full chokes.
What I know about cylinder chokes is that they WILL break a skeet target from any station on a skeet field.
My motto is that open chokes help a poor shot as much as tight chokes help a good shot.
todd allen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 12-28-2023, 02:17 PM   #33
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
The hardest part of skeet is keeping your mind in the game for 100 different milliseconds . Mechanics of the game are 5-15% but the nut on the stock is the other 85-95% .
True words on skeet. Same for trap, IMO.
Unread 12-28-2023, 02:28 PM   #34
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

BTW, when I bought the H&H Royal, I sent it back to Briley's for choke tubes, because I could not see myself owning a fixed choke gun with 0/.08 choke constrictions.
I bought the gun from Chuck Webb, and he understood, because set up all of my competition guns over the years.
Choke tube job was comped, BTW.
Funny story:
So I go on this bluegrouse hunt up on top of the Dunckley Flat Tops in CO. Elevation about 10.5k ft.
I back backpacked the H&H up, and knowing what altitude does to patterns, put in my most open pair of chokes. 05/10k.
The high altitude and thin air created super tight patterns that would break every bone in the bird if shot under 20 yds.
I patterned the .05 choke up there, and you would think I was shooting a pigeon gun.
Unread 12-28-2023, 02:53 PM   #35
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
What I know about cylinder chokes is that they WILL break a skeet target from any station on a skeet field.
My motto is that open chokes help a poor shot as much as tight chokes help a good shot.
I wasn't arguing the fact that more open works WELL I always viewed that as a given

As to tight chokes helping a better shot I'm still on the fence about that on the skeet field . However I will say in trap sporting or pigeons FOR ME ATLEAST tight chokes give me confidence .
Unread 12-28-2023, 04:54 PM   #36
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

We are in agreement. I'm sure the top competitors in skeet are not running full chokes, just as the top competitors in pigeons are not running skeet chokes.
There are no gimmicks, or "I saw a chip" in box birds. It's either in or out.
BTW, I have always pattern tested every load and every choke on the P-gun.
Never had to do that with the NSFW GHE. You put em in the pattern, and that old Parker turned em into a dish rag!
Unread 12-28-2023, 06:24 PM   #37
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
I'm not an open choke guy, but in a 12 ga, cylinder chokes will break skeet targets all day long.
I questioned my desire for excessive chokes when I watched Edgar breaking clays at 40+ yds. with a 28 ga., cylinder chokes in both barrels. We walked over to the long station at Addieville just for kicks at the end of the day, it's a long shot and the targets are falling hard by the time you can pick them up. It certainly changed the way I look at open choked guns.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2023, 06:25 PM   #38
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
We are in agreement. I'm sure the top competitors in skeet are not running full chokes, just as the top competitors in pigeons are not running skeet chokes.
There are no gimmicks, or "I saw a chip" in box birds. It's either in or out.
BTW, I have always pattern tested every load and every choke on the P-gun.
Never had to do that with the NSFW GHE. You put em in the pattern, and that old Parker turned em into a dish rag!
When I was competing I had several friends that were very adamant about patterning their skeet guns with each gauge set of tubes and they were worried about even quadrants in their patterns . I’ve never worried about pattern density or diversity to much although I will say I patterned my 10 gauge Bismuth loads at forty yards . I was more intrested in the center of the pattern to wear I was aiming/pointing . I never ever wanted to see 410 patterns , looking at 410 patterns can have a negative affect on one’s confidence . I still say I’ve never been much count at any of the games skeet, trap , sporting or pigeons but I’ve had an awful lot of good luck/fortune
Unread 12-28-2023, 06:32 PM   #39
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Travinski View Post
I questioned my desire for excessive chokes when I watched Edgar breaking clays at 40+ yds. with a 28 ga., cylinder chokes in both barrels. We walked over to the long station at Addieville just for kicks at the end of the day, it's a long shot and the targets are falling hard by the time you can pick them up. It certainly changed the way I look at open choked guns.
First time I shot the course at Sanford I used more open chokes guns if I had the option in my accumulation . And I found myself trying to jump the targets quick and I wasn’t smooth . My sychie was telling me to shoot quick before it outruns the choke . End result lower scores , luckily I’d brought tight choked guns as well and the next day my scores were better .
Unread 12-28-2023, 07:24 PM   #40
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Weber View Post

The forend is not mentioned in the letter but it does have the reinforced forend loop and I do not question the authenticity.

Dean
Dean, my GHE 16ga Skeet gun Ser. 239842 is identical to yours but with 28" barrels. In the serialization book it codes the same as yours however my letter does state in a later Remington document that it had the beavertail forend. I would definitely thank yours is correct and original.
Beautiful gun!
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Noble For Your Post: