Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

Unread 08-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #41
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,868 Times in 4,754 Posts

Thanks, Drew. Les was a ball player, and Walter Johnson, another average ball player, owned a farm in Germantown that I can see from my upper deck. Walter used to invite his buddies for bird hunts on his farm every year. I'm sure that the death of our hero Les German in Germantown was somehow related to a visit with Walter Johnson. What a piece of research lies before us. By the way, Germantown is about three towns or ten miles up the Frederick Pike from Bethesda where the other Les German lived next door to my Mother's aunt. I need help.

Last edited by Bill Murphy; 08-24-2009 at 08:33 PM..
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #42
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Now Bill...Walter Johnson was a bit more than an average ball playerBut you knew that...right?
Unread 08-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #43
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'm very serious about the Walter Johnson, Les German connection. Up until my adulthood, Germantown, MD was nothing more than a feed store and a B&O station. I'm convinced that Les was there to visit Walter Johnson, or to stay the summer, as was common with Walter's friends. He was the great entertainer. I have read in the LA84foundation archives about the bird hunting at ballplayer Eddie Plank's place in Gettysburg, and the guest lists. The same sort of situation existed at Johnson's place in Germantown. Lots of hospitality, lots of birds and shotguns. My interest in Eddie Plank is a result of shooting his old PHE Trap, which is my go to crossover gun. I am almost convinced that the Les German that was my Aunt Agnes' neighbor was the son of our Parker shooter Les German. As much as I have read about Les German, I have never read anything about his family. Your turn, Drew.
Unread 08-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #44
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,252 Posts

April 23, 1910
ANOTHER proof of the wonderful and consistent shooting qualities of the PARKER GUN. At Cleveland, April 2, L. S. German shot at 50 pairs and broke 96 out of the 100 targets.
A splendid demonstration of the shooting ability of the man and the shooting qualities of the "OLD RELIABLE" PARKER GUN.
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 08-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #45
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

German won High Professional Average at the Penn. State Shoot in May, 1910 with 534/555.
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #46
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Come on, Drew, you're a world class researcher. See if you can find out if the Les German who lived on Maple Ridge Road in Bethesda, Maryland in the early fifties was, in fact Lester S. German, who we may suspect is our Les German's son, our Les German who was also known as L.S. German. Thanks.
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #47
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

According to the HOF blurb, Les did not have a son named Les, but who knows how accurate all that information actually is?
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #48
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

http://www.aberdeenroom.com/archive.html
The Garretson Family Bible shows that Lester Stanley German and Alice Mary Garretson of Aberdeen were married in August 1895. They built the large Victorian home at 17 North Philadelphia Blvd. (Now Route 40) then known as Broadway. It is just across the street from Cecil Federal Bank. The house has been converted to modern use, by adding a store front. Les and Alice lived here happily, according to family, when Les was not traveling with a team - either New York or Washington of the National League. Alice went with Les on the road trips until she became a mother.
After the two boys were born, Alice remained at home Les made the rounds with his team. The little fellows died very early in their lives and are buried at Baker’s Cemetery, at the top of the hill, where Alice and Les are both at rest. Alice died at the age of 34 in 1908 and several years later Les married again to another member of an old Aberdeen family, Grace Evans. They had a daughter, Ruth, and a son, Crosby. Much of their time was spent in Florida, but they kept the home on Broadway in Aberdeen. Lester passed away in 1934.
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #49
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Les was High General Average at the New Jersey State Shoot, Atlantic City, June 1-4, 1910 583/600.
Unread 08-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #50
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

1910 GAH Chicago
http://www.la84foundation.org/Sports.../SL5517024.pdf
1910 June 23, Chicago, Ill., 364 starters, Riley Thompson, 19yds. Broke 100.

Trade Reps
A. H. Fox Gun Co. -A. W. Connor, Ad. R. Roll.
Hunter Arms Co. - H. McMurchey, A. P. Curtis, E. A. W. Everett, J. T. Skelly, W. L. Stannard, Arthur Killam.
Parker Bros. - S. A. Tucker.

Riley Thompson (using a Parker) is from Cainesville, Missouri, and the fact that Harvey McMurchey had finished his 100 with only one down did not bother the "Show Me" at all. He took his place for the last round, and paying no attention to the large crowd which still remained for the finish, proceeded to smash target after target, until the referee called "dead” for the twentieth, when the shooters rushed, lifted him on their shoulders and carried him to the club house, where he was surrounded by those anxious to shake his hand.
Among the first to tender congratulations was Harvey McMurchey, who was runner-up with 99. J. Graham, Long Lake, Ill., and Geo. Volk, Toledo, O., were in third place with 98 each.