Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

More 16 G Target load with Green Dot
Unread 08-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default More 16 G Target load with Green Dot

About finished setting G Target load. Looking for minimum recoil and adequate pattern to 30 yards, for my Parker O Frame Hammer Gun # 51327 .

From 16 G Forum spread sheets, 14.5 Green Dot ¾ in a Cheddite hull is recommended. They say 1090 fps & 6223 PSI. I tried to get away with 14 G, unburned powder in the bore & had to add a Cheerio to get good crimps. Bumped up the powder charge to the recommended 14.5. Better, still needed the Cherrio.

Over the weekend loading, checked shot weight with a scale. ¾ oz bushing was throwing 11/16 oz Hand scoped a true ¾ oz load and found they crimped fine without the Cheerio. Loaded up 10, Crono clocked it at 1069 FPS average with very low SD. More important the little bit extra shot weight brought the powder burn up and cleaner bore.

1/8 oz shot in a 16 G hull gives about 1/8 inch stack height. Short drop 1/16 oz was contributing to my crimp problem by 1/16 inch. Short term lined a 7/8 oz bushing with tape now throwing ¾ oz on the dot. Longer term will chuck up the ¾ oz bushing and open it up to throw true.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote