Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #31
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

I use 1 ounce minimum in 12 when hunting, the fluid steel guns up to 1 1/8. Never 1 1/4 except turkeys.

I owe it to wild game not to cripple it by having an insufficient load when I misjudge the distance, especially doves where one makes multiple mistakes on distance in a single day. Nothing worse than to see a dove start to tumble and regain its composure just to get away to die later.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #32
Jack Kuzepski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Kirk,

A 3/4 oz. shot charge should be good for dove and quail, a lot of it depends on the range, shot size and choke. Remember - it doesn't matter the size of the package if you send it to the wrong address!

Jack Kuzepski
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #33
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jack and AJ. Thanks for the input. I also have a 7/8 load I may hunt with. Or maybe 1oz. I just like 3/4 oz. And my load for 3/4 is pushing 1200 fps with 5000 psi. I bet they are gonna be sweet to shoot. As soon as I get this huge chest of drawers I'm building for my closet out of my garage. I plan on loading and shooting skeet and I forget what they call it , where they take you through the woods and throw skeet over trees and across the pond etc. But I'm with you AJ on not wanting to wound game. I will sort it all out by the fall. But as I should be shooting and loading I'm working on my house. It's gonna get hot here in Texas in a few weeks. I don't really like to come back from the range all sweaty. But it will be worth it instead of missing birds during season. Can't wait to breakout my old double on a crisp cool morning. I have 4 boxes of bismuth from rst for ducks. Should get me thru one season. Which do y'all think is better for non toxic reloading. Bismuth or that xti. I think that what it's called. What are the opinions on that for a lp load for 12 gauge 2 1/2 load. Thanks for the input
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #34
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Can't answer the Bismuth or XTI question. I usually push my 3/4oz 12ga loads up near 1300fps. Still no recoil and clean powder burns. I also use the large bottles for shot and powder and only let them get 1/2 way empty. The powder would be more important. That way there's always plenty of powder pushing down for consistent loads. Just a thought. In the past when I didn't have the bottle support for large bottles, I taped them together with a 1x2 spacer. Maybe just use a large one for powder. That way there isn't a lot of weight sticking up so high. I load 2 1/2 like 2 3/4 but use fiber wads or a shorter plastic wad. A Claybuster 1100 wad meant for 1 1/8oz has a shorter cushion height than a 0178 meant for 7/8oz. Just try loading 7/8oz in the 1100 with powder data for 7/8oz - bet it will fit. The ends of the wad may bend over.