Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 08-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #21
Toothsmith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mine is 3 3/8 quart tank capacity which is the most common size in dental lab applications. I can clean complete bolt carrier assemblies from an AR-15, whole auto pistols, revolvers with 4" barrels or any shotgun receiver in it. Its best to suspend the parts in the solution with a wire basket. It gives better cleaning results and keeps the parts from rubbing against the stainless tank. Small parts I put in a small plastic jar with solution in it and just float it in the main tank. I use the Simple Green full strength and just add water as it evaporates. Heat will accelerate the cleaning action but again will tend to tarnish brass if left too long. The ultrasonic action will generate quite a bit of heat if left running for a while. When buying ultrasonics the rule is pretty much the same for optics. You get what you pay for, with the exception that if its dental related you over pay for what you get. Brownells lists a Hornady 3 qt unit for $239.99, $228.61 with the discount. A Lyman 1.6 gal unit is $269.99, $255.77 if you get the discount. Comparable units are $400 and up in the dental lab catalog. If mine ever gives up I'll probably get the Lyman for its value and bigger tank.
Unread 08-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #22
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Cleaner

I use water with a few drops of Dawn dish washing liquid. I've never used anything else. I may try what listed in this thread that others use. Cheers, Tom
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #23
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

I bought a Lyman Turbosonic 2500 a while back. It holds 2.5 liters, or 5.3 pints. It has room for a Parker receiver without a problem. Bought some of the concentrated Lyman cleaner solution with it. They have two types of cleaner, brass and steel. I put a Trojan receiver that didn't look too bad and ran it through several cycles with heat. I was surprised how much loose rust and debris was on the bottom of the tank after. The Lyman was priced at $170, which I thought was fairly low for the unit. It probably would have cost at least that with shipping to buy a new similar sized unit off the internet and I have the comfort of the Lyman name and a fairly large outdoor retail chain behind it. The Simple Green idea sounds interesting. May have to try a tank and compare it to the Lyman commercial product.
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #24
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Two questions:

If I don't want to invest in one, is there a Parker gunsmith you all recommend to take it apart and Clem it correctly?

I have a gun with a lot of CCH that is hard to see because of the patina, ie crud. Is the value of the gun reduced if I remove the patina?

Thx, Ray
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Cleaning
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #25
Craig Parker
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Cleaning

Guy's I have a couple of guns that show either what I'll call a oxidized or frosted finish. I just ordered and received a ultrasonic cleaning and looking for suggestions for cleaning up these guns. Whether the ultrasonic is the way to go and/or what would be the best route to take. I have attached pic’s for reference hoping that it will show up.

Thanks, Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post.jpg (491.8 KB, 2 views)
Craig Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #26
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,318 Posts

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight for $75.00. It is the exact same model as the Lyman Turbosonic 2500 that costs $100.00 more. All accessories are interchangeable. I have cleaned several hand guns in a solution of water and dish detergent. I have cleaned a disassembled Parker lifter using the lacquer thinner in a jar method mentioned earlier.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Cleaner
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #27
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Cleaner

I used water and dish washing liquid for a while and it did OK. The minerals in the water were questionable. Then I used the Lyman metal cleaning liquid. WOW! What a difference. The Lyman product is the way to go. It does a much beter job. Use 1 ounce of Lyman product to 20 ounces of distilled water and you will never go back. Cheers, Tom
Unread 02-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #28
Smoothebore
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Where do you get the Lyman cleaning liquid?
Dave Purnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Cleaner
Unread 02-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #29
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Cleaner

Lymanproducts.com. Cheers, Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Carter For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #30
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Lyman has a brass cleaning solution and a steel cleaning solution. Be sure to get thecorrect one. Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Carter For Your Post: