Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Unread 04-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #21
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,371 Times in 3,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
NASCAR - You can get the same visual effect by pouring M&M's in the toilet and flushing it.
John, I almost spit my coffee across the room laughing. I may as well go back to bed, because today won’t get better than that.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 04-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #22
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D Cochran View Post
edgarspencer,

My .22 is a Savage Model 29 that is a tube fed pump from the mid '30s. I have never seen one like in your picture before. What brand and model is it?
Here is a link to some pics.
http://s821.photobucket.com/user/coc...20num%201127XX
Good luck getting all your parts together.

Michael
Michael, That's a very crisp, original Model 29. I was directing my question to Mike Franzen, as the clip fed Savages are pretty scarce. The one I showed is a model 1903, and they are almost never seen. This one wouldn't have been seen again, but the nameless kid who left it leaning against a tree for a whole winter thought to save it. When it came to me, wrapped in a blanket, it was missing more than it had, and was rust from muzzle to butt, but, amazingly, very little of the rust left noticeable pits. Eventually, the original owner, who is becoming somewhat forgetful, found the bolt, then the clip, then a thumbscrew, which begs the question how many guns did he forget, as the thumbscrew is for another gun.
The model 61 Winchester is perhaps the most common of the slide handle repeaters, followed by the Remington model 12, but the 29 Savage, and especially the '03 Savage are rare as they made about 5% of what Winchester made.
A quick review of the last Julia auction will pop your socks as to where the .22 repeater market is going. Straight up like a bottle rocket.
Unread 04-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #23
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
The one I showed is a model 1903, and they are almost never seen. This one wouldn't have been seen again, but the nameless kid who left it leaning against a tree for a whole winter thought to save it. When it came to me, wrapped in a blanket, it was missing more than it had, and was rust from muzzle to butt, but, amazingly, very little of the rust left noticeable pits. Eventually, the original owner, who is becoming somewhat forgetful, found the bolt, then the clip, then a thumbscrew, which begs the question how many guns did he forget, as the thumbscrew is for another gun.
Edgar, you knew this post would elicit a response from me... and you hoped I would too.

I have no isea how the little Savage came to be as rusty as it did. When it came to me as one of a bunch of guns given to me by the elderly sister of a fellow in Vt who had passed away a few years earlier, there was no thumb screw, no clip, and when I handed it to you it was missing the bolt. I had misplaced it. Some months later I found the bolt and sent it to you but despite both of our endless searching of the Internet and elsewhere, no clip could be found.
At least a year later while I was at grouse camp i was rummaging through an old bucket of odds & ends mixed with dust and mouse turds I discovered a little clip for a .22. I thought it might belong to a little .22 automatic pistol but I put it in my pocket and took it home with me as nobody who comes to grouse camp these days even has a .22. It must have been in that bucket for decades left there by "who knows who"...
And so I sent it to you Edgar, thinking maybe you, being the wizard of all things possible, could somehow make it work in the little Savage.

But I never expected the expletive laden response from you when you called to tell me it was the exact clip for the Savage and the accusations that it was I who inadvertantly and absent-mindedly brought it to Vermont and dropped it into that bucket.

And that, dear readers, is the rest of the story.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #24
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Edgar, you knew this post would elicit a response from me... and you hoped I would too.

I have no isea how the little Savage came to be as rusty as it did. When it came to me as one of a bunch of guns given to me by the elderly sister of a fellow in Vt who had passed away a few years earlier, there was no thumb screw, no clip, and when I handed it to you it was missing the bolt. I had misplaced it. Some months later I found the bolt and sent it to you but despite both of our endless searching of the Internet and elsewhere, no clip could be found.
At least a year later while I was at grouse camp i was rummaging through an old bucket of odds & ends mixed with dust and mouse turds I discovered a little clip for a .22. I thought it might belong to a little .22 automatic pistol but I put it in my pocket and took it home with me as nobody who comes to grouse camp these days even has a .22. It must have been in that bucket for decades left there by "who knows who"...
And so I sent it to you Edgar, thinking maybe you, being the wizard of all things possible, could somehow make it work in the little Savage.

But I never expected the expletive laden response from you when you called to tell me it was the exact clip for the Savage and the accusations that it was I who inadvertantly and absent-mindedly brought it to Vermont and dropped it into that bucket.

And that, dear readers, is the rest of the story.
OK, Dean, now calm down and take your pills. We'll all eventually get this way so there's no reason to get upset.................poor Kathy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 04-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #25
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,665 Times in 1,642 Posts

Smile

Dean, Did the dog eat it? Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 04-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #26
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Good one Gary! I remember that day well!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #27
Michael D Cochran
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
Nice guns. I have the same Savage .22 and love it. mine has a target grade aperture sight and shoots very straight. I educated a marauding red squirrel with it just yesterday.
Richard,
Got some pics? Do you use sub sonic or standard vel. ammo? I have been warned not to use high vel. ammo.
BTW, If you happen to be driving by Ft. Wainwright, (Ladd AFB when I was last there), give a wave toward the hospital. 64 years and 50 weeks ago I was hatched there.

Last edited by Michael D Cochran; 04-14-2018 at 08:17 PM..
Michael D Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote