Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 01-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
John Hancock
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck, As I think about it the bbls. may not shrink so much as go out of round. Any time I am messing with bbls., usually to do something with the choke, I use pin gauges to determine the bore size. (interesting how few bbls. are the same bore dia. the entire length) My pratice is to find a pin gauge that will pass the bbl. where I am interested in it and then note that size, add .001", and call that the bore size. I used Brownells Hi-Force 44 on the first few Superposed I did and had to drop .003" to .005" with the pin gauge to get one to go through. Started useing the TIX they sell with good results so far and the pin used before soldering would still go through after the job. Certainly any of the 60/40 type solders are a good deal stronger than TIX and if one is concerned with the possibility of the rib shooting loose use 60/40. ERIC, if you use a conventional 60/40 type solder, I think the Hi-Force 44 with the Comet Flux is mabee of the best "flowing" solder I have ever used. CHUCK, How hot is an average "dove" day in Ca.? Here in Texas seems like they don't really fly till it gets to about 104. When I was younger didn't notice, now it seems hot. Of course quit Mexico some years ago, add 10% to the temp here for a good dove field in Mex. Regards, John
John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Hancock For Your Post:
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
Eric Estes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks John and Chuck. A lot of experience and good information here.

John, the Hi-Force 44 low temp is a no lead tin and silver solder with a pretty high flow temp (475). Much higher than 60/40. It sure would take a lot of heat to get that flowing on a barrel assembly. It sure would be strong, but would temps that high be a risk for rib work?

So in the Parker factory was the soft solder only for the ribs and fore lug? Did they braze or silver solder to attach the rear lug and the barrels to the breach? It sounds like their soft solder work was 60/40.

Thanks again.
Eric Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:49 AM   #13
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

JH,
The dove openner in Blythe can be 120F, Yuma AZ can be just as hot. Guns get so hot, you can't handle the barrels, just setting in the sun.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
John Hancock
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck, That's hot. At my age I don't go outside anywhere near that temp. You comment on on the bbls. I think of my health. Seriously, I have had two doctors tell me what the situation was and end the talk with "I can't do anything to help you". Some things, like your heart, when damaged can't be fixed. Take care of yourself.
Eric, I know the 44 does take more heat than regular 60/40, I think about 100 degrees, per my prev note, I use the TIX on the rib, have done several lugs with the 44, and a tight spot shows up in the bbl. ( hone and lap out ). My point was for strength the 44 would certainly be superior to the TIX and I used it in the past, but did lap the bbls. afterward. Mostly the 44 is useful to me putting sights on rifles. Have a friend who still hunts Africa and once in a while we build up another big caliber with open sights. Screw and solder them on. Slugging a rifle bore I have not found the bore to get tight at the heated area, of course the wall thickness of the bbl. is a lot more than shotgun bbls.
Regards, JH
The Following User Says Thank You to John Hancock For Your Post:
Unread 02-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

JH,
Yes, that is hot. I don't go for the openner. Too hot for me too. I like to take my lab out, but not in heat over about 85-90F on dove, less on upland birds. So, I go later in the season and shoot less birds.

I used HiForce 44 for a sleeved LC to hold the barrels together and for the forend lug. It was a 20g sleeved with 28g tubes. I was shooting it without the upper and lower ribs, just the spacers between the barrels, but they were long.
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
John Hancock
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck, Beautiful dog, I like dogs. I never fired a shot in Calif., close as I ever got was the pigeon shoots in Laughlin and Reno in the 80's, and they were in the Fall so it was good weather. Stay well, JH
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

John,
I hope you guys get out of the draught down that way soon. Meanwhile, here's another pic or two of the hounds.

This one is the opposite weather from that first one, a cold Dec 2011 day in Kansas, about 15F as I recall.

The girls gettin their sun.

Unread 02-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

beautiful dogs...kansas is a lovely place...wish i had another life to live over...buy me some new dogs and move west... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #19
John Hancock
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck, I like those dogs too. I have always had dogs, we used to really have quail here in Texas. The last 3 years something has happened to them. Two of my closest friends have "bird" ranches, one 4000 acres and the other 8500, and I have a little farm. As you might guess we got spoiled through the years. We basically haven't shot any birds for 3 years except a few to bring the pups along. We have the quail research ranch here too and they brought a guy in to try and figure out what's happening and of course the State is supposed to be working on it. One of the board members told me that in the initial conversations the guy they brought in was talking about a 5 year study, all of the board members told him they likely didn't have 5 years left, get some results now. I am down to two Pointers, a 3 year old and a 4 year old and they could be good if we can get to where we can kill some birds, I call them half broke. In August had a friend had some problems and needed to get rid of a Lab pup that was 8 months old. I really didn't want him but my buddy was talking about putting him down if he couldn't find someone who would do right by him. I had seen the dog some at the Gun Club and couldn't not take him. Anyway he is a sweet boy and in Sept. at 8 months I put him in the dove field. Had a guy I let hunt deer on the farm mow me about an acre in the field so he could see the birds fall to get the idea, result was for the dove season I killed a lot of birds and he picked them up like he had been doing it all his life, rough pasture, sunflowers, water, anywhere. Got to where when he heard the safety click off he was up and ready. Good fun, wish I had more strength to shoot more for him. No ducks for him yet there isn't any water here this year. Going to try and get around to taking some pic and will post. Best, JH
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

John,
The dogs are more and more becoming why I go out. Some friends want to go to a bird preserve next weekend, now that the wild season is over. Im just going to run the dogs and not shoot.