Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 05-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,100 Times in 673 Posts

Oh boy, I figured the light gun guys would sound off. Well, I'm not one of them. I like my grouse gun to weigh around 6-10 to 12 with 26" barrels. However, as Jay said, it needs to be dynamic in handling. I don't use the term balance though as that is a misnomer. It is how the weight is distributed that makes a gun dynamic and a heavier gun seem lighter without the shortfall of light guns. A big plus is that one can shoot a round of clays to practice with the hunting gun without getting the snot kicked out. As for choke I like the Q1/2 repros or equivalent. I have two that currently qualify and several that do not. I went down the light gun route many years ago and a bunch of bucks ago before I discovered that light was not the answer, for me. Luckily that Purdy that I once owned returned my investment plus some but it was one of the worst shooters I ever owned.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 05-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #12
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
Luckily that Purdy that I once owned returned my investment plus some but it was one of the worst shooters I ever owned.
Luckily I haven't had that experience. I have two Purdey's a 16 two barrel set and a light game gun which is the only 12 I hunt with. With the 27 inch barrels and spreaders in the left barrel the 16 has taken a number of birds and the 12 is choked .004 & .008 and it's just about perfect using RST 2 inch shells.
Unread 05-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

For grouse and woodcock in thick cover -- or in the mountains -- I like a very light gun that I can easily carry with one hand while using the other to clear brush...or hang on for dear life while climbing through a mountain clearcut. The guns I use for this weigh between 5 lbs. 3 oz. (my Dickson 28 bore) and 5 lbs. 13 oz. (my Fox XE 16 bore).

For quail on the prairie I like between 5 lbs. 10 oz. (my Cogswell & Harrison back action hammer 16 bore w/30 inch barrels -- good forward weight) and 6 lbs. 10 oz. (my Parker DHE 20 bore with 30 inch barrels that fits me like a glove).

If I think I will encounter pheasants I'll opt for a heavier 16 in the 6 1/2 pound range or a 12 bore in the 7 pound range (my GH 30 inch 12 bore that weighs -- and letters at -- 7 lbs.).

Obviously, choke requirements change, too, and are just as important as weight.

Like Kenny, we hunt long days when pursuing upland birds. I don't want to end up with one arm longer than the other.

Now for ducks or dove...
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #14
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

Ducks or dove are two whole different discussions.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 05-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #15
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,100 Times in 673 Posts

Not necessarily. I routinely us my grouse guns for doves, and passing birds at that. No handicap at all.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 05-16-2019, 06:38 AM   #16
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
Oh boy, I figured the light gun guys would sound off. Well, I'm not one of them. I like my grouse gun to weigh around 6-10 to 12 with 26" barrels. However, as Jay said, it needs to be dynamic in handling. I don't use the term balance though as that is a misnomer. It is how the weight is distributed that makes a gun dynamic and a heavier gun seem lighter without the shortfall of light guns. A big plus is that one can shoot a round of clays to practice with the hunting gun without getting the snot kicked out. As for choke I like the Q1/2 repros or equivalent. I have two that currently qualify and several that do not. I went down the light gun route many years ago and a bunch of bucks ago before I discovered that light was not the answer, for me. Luckily that Purdy that I once owned returned my investment plus some but it was one of the worst shooters I ever owned.
I think we are in the same boat! I totally agree about gun dynamics. I never really thought about it prior. I always use a heavier gun and really dont notice the weight. I do notice my swing is better and not as erratic, It always felt like lighter guns I had less control and more misses. I recently had the opportunity to purchase a Scottish double made for walk up grouse shooting in the highlands, 26" barrels and 6.4 lbs I thought it was going to be snappy and whippy, but that gun was an eye opener as the weight is distributed differently then my other lighter short barreled guns. It swings really smooth with the weight distributed forward, but so much that it feels barrel heavy. I really enjoy shooting it, and gun dynamics is something I plan on educating myself on! This is a great topic with many different experiences and ideas! Thanks guys!
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2019, 07:24 AM   #17
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

A well balanced gun ( and Parkers are well balanced ) always fells lighter than they are.
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daniel G Rainey For Your Post:
Unread 05-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #18
hugh rather
PGCA Member

Member Info

When I was a teen and a young man chasing quail, my favorite weighed 7 1/4 #.That was a
Belgian A-5.Later the doubles came. Love 16 parkers about 6.5 #.The common factor in them all is a good very slightly foward balance.Interesting how the weight preference tends toward lighter with increasing years
hugh rather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hugh rather For Your Post:
Unread 05-17-2019, 07:45 AM   #19
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh rather View Post
When I was a teen and a young man chasing quail, my favorite weighed 7 1/4 #.That was a
Belgian A-5.Later the doubles came. Love 16 parkers about 6.5 #.The common factor in them all is a good very slightly foward balance.Interesting how the weight preference tends toward lighter with increasing years
Amen to that!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #20
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

In the last 6 years, I've started using light 12 gauge guns in the 5 1/2 lb to 6 lb 5 oz range. I do a lot of walking for few shots at pheasant and quail on all day hunts in KS. I use to use a 7lb gun, but I don't need to throw a heavy load at quail or pheasants.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote