Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

What to do?
Unread 08-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Default What to do?

I recently acquired a really nice DH 12, with 30" Damascus barrels, the gun is in well over 90% condition. The two issues are these, the top rib is loose for about 4 inches, about 6 inches back from the muzzle. And the top lever sticks/catches on the top tang when returning to the closed position.

Regarding the rib. Can it be repaired/re-layed without having to refinish the nearly perfect barrels?

Regarding the top lever, is this a common situation? I assume the lever needs to be bent slightly to relieve the contact, but I am not confident at all about doing this myself.

Any advice appreciated!
Unread 08-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Hello Mark, it's difficult to imagine a Parker in over 90% condition would have those problems... Is that 90% original condition or 90% refinished condition?

Not trying to disparage your gun at all but those particular problems seem extremely unusual for a Parker in original such condition.

Best, Dean
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

I would suggest you contact Kirk Merrington. He's one of the best barrel guy and he's also in Texas. He will be able to fix the rib. Because of the soldering involved I believe you will have to have the barrels redone. I have had him do work for me and you can rest assured you won't be disappointed. I'm not sure if he will do your top lever. Call him and ask. Good luck.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 08-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ray View Post
The two issues are these, the top rib is loose for about 4 inches, about 6 inches back from the muzzle. And the top lever sticks/catches on the top tang when returning to the closed position.

Regarding the rib. Can it be repaired/re-layed without having to refinish the nearly perfect barrels?

Regarding the top lever, is this a common situation?
Hi Mark,

The two problems are not common and to me indicate that someone unqualified has attempted to restore your Parker.

The loose top rib MAY be caused by hot blueing the barrels. Side by Sides need to be rust blued since hot blueing can leave salts between the ribs. The hot in the hot blue can loosen the solder which binds the ribs to the barrels.

Maybe your barrels were not hot blued but if it were me, I send them to a barrel expert for examination.

The top lever sticking? That sounds like something improperly installed or poorly repaired.

These are just the thoughts of someone who has been there and done that... Take them for what you paid for them.

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

We normally bend our top levers back in shape by: 1. Open gun so lever is locked to the right. 2. Insert several layers of thin cardboard (like 3X5 card stock) under the lever and over the top tang. 3. Close gun and slowly force the lever into the closed position (to the left). 4. If the lever is not free from the top tang, repeat with more layers of cardboard. Kirk Merrington or Kody Kearcher for your rib work.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

I will take the gun to Kirk. I am certain the gun is in original condition. I bought it from a "black gun"store in Fla., that had the gun on consignment. It is my belief that somebody dropped the shipping box, or dropped something on the box, and sprung the rib loose, and compressed the top lever at the same time. There is an almost imperceptable ding transversing the barrels, dead center of the spot where the rib is sprung, along with a very slight sheen/or polishing across at that point. The gun was very poorly packed, and the photos from the seller prior to sale were not very good. I bought it 20 minutes after he placed it on gunbroker, by phone, for his reserve of $1,600.... SO, the photos were good enough to know that the gun either was in astounding original condition, OR, had a high quality restoration some time in the past, as there is some honest but sparing use and aging of the finishes. The seller did not purchase the insurance i asked him to buy. Still and all, it was a very good buy, and i think the damage is related to shipping.

If i can figure out how to reference the thread where i posted photos of the gun a couple months ago, i will.

Oh, and again, the top lever does not stick for any reason other than the bottom surface of the lever is contacting the top tang. It does so BARELY, so the remedy above with the cardboard sounds like something i might try.

If the barrels must be refinished to re-lay or repair the rib, i will probably be unwilling to repair it anytime soon.

Thanks
Unread 08-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...ight=Christmas

There are photos (albeit poor ones) in this thread.

Last edited by Mark Ray; 08-02-2015 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Added explaination
Mark Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ouellette View Post
Hi Mark,

The two problems are not common and to me indicate that someone unqualified has attempted to restore your Parker.

The loose top rib MAY be caused by hot blueing the barrels. Side by Sides need to be rust blued since hot blueing can leave salts between the ribs. The hot in the hot blue can loosen the solder which binds the ribs to the barrels.

Maybe your barrels were not hot blued but if it were me, I send them to a barrel expert for examination.

The top lever sticking? That sounds like something improperly installed or poorly repaired.

These are just the thoughts of someone who has been there and done that... Take them for what you paid for them.

Mark
So, now I see the gun has Damascus barrels and no blueing of any method was used. I will crawl back into my hole and go to sleep now...

Better have the gun checked by a good gunsmith.

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Ribs cannot be relaid without refinishing of the barrels. Either fluid steel or Damascus.

Regarding your top lever, I am not really sure of what the issue is that you are having backed on your description. I gather the lever is bent downward. It is likely from someone not tripping the lever to its closed position after removing the barrels. Then the gun was dropped on the lever or something of the sort. When a gun is cased or shipped, the lever should always be tripped to avoid damage.
Unread 08-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #10
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Mr. Ray:
I would not attempt to bend that lever if you intend to take the rib issue to Kirk. These levers are hardened and can meet with trouble in the hands of a rookie. Kick can fix both. Professionally.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post: