Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Yet Another Stock Question
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Floyd Teter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Yet Another Stock Question

New member here. I've inherited a wonderful old Parker side-by-side. Vulcan steel, grade "V". Serial number indicates it was made in 1904. Got a tin-type photo of my great-grandfather sitting on the front porch of his Illinois farm house holding this gun. No idea what gauge this shotgun is...the "1" size in the barrel indicated 12, 16 and 20 models. Nor do I have any clue on the value of the shotgun.

I can go two ways with this gun. I could recondition it as a shooter. That may take some work, as the stock has a bit of wobble in it - a bit of a gap in front of the stock. The screw behind the trigger guard shows signs of a "Bubba"-grade repair - the screw seems a bit oversized and it's dug in a bit deep. Picks of the screw and the stock gap attached. May even have to replace the stock, which would be a sad thing...love the dings and dents that give it a sense of real history. But I figure my family three generations back would love to see me fire this gun (and my kids could shoot it to, which would give us five generations pulling the trigger on this shotgun). Other than the stock, the gun is pristine...dusty, but pristine. The barrel condition is better than I could have ever hoped.

Or I could simply clean it up a bit and hang it over the mantle as a sentimental piece. Good looking, but non-functional shotgun. Probably good for sentimental value and some family stories. Still a "win" in my book.

So, my questions for all you "Parker Gun" experts:

1. Any clues on value? I'd like to know how much I stand to lose if I mess this up

2. Based on what you know, would you go shooter or sentimental piece?

All thoughts and input welcome. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bubba screw.JPG (113.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg stock gap.JPG (110.0 KB, 2 views)
Floyd Teter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

welcome Floyd

make it a shooter, my go to grouse gun is a 1904 VH,

we need the serial number and some more pictures and details. Value on a V grade is dependent on a lot of factors.

how long are the barrels and what are the bores like?

if the stock isn't broken - there are talented people that may be able to fix that, trigger guards are not impossible to find.

family history is not replaceable, could you post one of the Great-grandfather as well
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
paul stafford jr
Forum Associate

Member Info

the first thing I would do is find a stock and a trigger guard and have them fit by somecne
who knows what there doing like brian Dudley. this may cost more than a gun in this condtion is worth but it may be worth it to you. saveing a old parker is a wonderful thing most of us do it all the time. collecting is not about the money its about the history. if the barrels are good you could get 3 to 5 hundred for it as is.
paul stafford jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Craig Parker
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great Family gun Floyd, I'd talk to Brian about it and a gun like that I would bring back to a shooter for the next generation.

Craig
Craig Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
More Info
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
Floyd Teter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default More Info

Appreciate all the info I'm getting guys. 30 inch side-by-side barrels. Serial #122043. More pics below.

Be digging through the family history stuff for the pic of great-grandpa with it. I'll upload a shot of the picture when I find it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shotgun1.JPG (186.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg shotgun2.JPG (186.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg shotgun3.JPG (118.8 KB, 2 views)
Floyd Teter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,241 Times in 2,415 Posts

Floyd;
It seems that a good portion of the trigger guard tang, which has the serial number stamped on it, is missing and that the stock has no inletting to accomodate the broken part of the tang. This would lead me to believe that the stock has been replaced. This would lower the value but not the sentimentality. Hope you can find the picture with your great grandpa and his gun. Some pictures of the stock, especially the butt plate, and a top view of the receiver with the lever pushed to the right might give us some indication of why your stock is loose.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

The stock does not looks to be original to me. And yes, a guard is the first hint you want. That stock may be able to be tightened up and made to work well as is.
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

the gun is not in the book, but 30" barrels are likely right, and it is probably a 12.

A 12 with a stock problem, needing a trigger guard is not going bring in much cash.

but if some one like Brian could tighten the stock up, you could let another generation enjoy it.
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I would find a triggewr guard and then send it to brian dudley and have him fit the guard and glass the stock to tighten it up. Shouldnt cost to much. Then you should be able to enjoy shooting your grandfathers gun.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

Given the gaps against the frame and wood to metal fit issues, it is hard to tell what you are looking at based on the photos. You would not know for sure until you get into it and see what can be done. It looks like there was previous damage done to the bottom of the stock up by the head. Like I said, the current stock can most likely be tightened up and fitted up better so that it can be made to be a secure shooter. But it most likely would not be perfect from the standpoint of fit and cosmetics. And obviously a replacement guard and screw is needed.

Given the condition of the rest of the gun, a nicer repair might be more suited to this gun. Like a new stock or a replacement stock. It all boils down to what you currently have into the gun, and what you want to put into it. And also what the overall condition is of the gun now. You said you inherited the gun, so that means no initial cost and the gun has great family history for you. This gun as it sits would not be worth much more than $300-400 to most others given its current issues.
A 1 frame 12g gun is desirable among field hunters. And grades with fluid steel in good condition are always a plus.
With repair of the current stock, it would not be worth as much as it could be with a more proper repair (ie: new stock or replacement stock). But value would be boosted since immediate issues would be addressed. It really depends on how nice you want it to be. Since it owes you nothing, I do not see any option putting you under water on it.

Especially if you plan to keep it and use it.