Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-24-2020, 10:54 PM   #21
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,100 Times in 673 Posts

I shoot 5-stand every Wed. evening and for weeks now I have been toting two guns to the range. A Parker repro and a model 12 solid rib skeet gun choked IC. A round with each and I am not sure which is more fun.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 09-24-2020, 11:59 PM   #22
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nothing wrong with single barrels, personally I'm pretty weak for old, original A-5s. Weak enough to own several, got a first year Sweet 16 that's a favorite early season duck buster.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2020, 12:15 AM   #23
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,125 Posts

I have a custom stocked Briley choked M-97 that is a deadly shooting blind gun.
Mostly protect pecan orchards from crows.
Also, a Damascus BBLd M-97, all original. I think Damascus was a 20 dollar option on a 15 dollar gun. Let that sink in for a minute.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2020, 12:53 AM   #24
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

My favorite is my Winchester '97 Black Diamond with matte top on the barrel. Straight stock with highly figured wood. Unsure if it's a Tournament grade or Trap grade. Looking under the buttplate to see if it was marked but didn't find anything. I shoot this gun in my Greater Lowell trap league. The look on the other teams faces walking off the line with a 25 shooting a 96 year old JMB classic is priceless .

Upland gun is my Remington Model 17 with solid rib choked IC on the barrel. Six pounds on the nose and wonderful to carry.

Sporting clays or a skeet is my Remington Model 11 20 gauge with 32" barrel. This gun makes me a better shooter.... The sighting plane is longer than my 34" barreled Parker.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Cronin For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2020, 01:03 AM   #25
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,918 Times in 1,432 Posts

I purchased a Winchester model 50 Deluxe Skeet WS1 12 gauge several years ago. it wasn’t until just a few weeks ago that I took it to the dairy for some Eurasian dove and pigeon action.
Whether it was the Weight that tamed the recoil or the design I am not sure but the recoil was not bad and it was a joy to shoot.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2020, 02:56 AM   #26
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,460 Times in 3,383 Posts

At the moment I’m hung up sort of on 16 gauge . And am after a couple 16 Model 12’s . I’m partial to Model 11’s and A-5’s but the Belgian A-5’s I prefer are the flat knob years meaning 66 or so to the mid 70’s . Have a circa 1954 870 I kinda like it was roughish when I got it and it’s still a little rough but I smoothed it out a bit . Bought a 16 gauge Winchester 37 a couple weeks ago , not sure why but it’s a kinda neat gun .
Unread 09-25-2020, 03:13 AM   #27
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Ithaca mod 37's rule for non S/S shotguns.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #28
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,405 Times in 3,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd allen View Post
Also, a Damascus BBLd M-97, all original. I think Damascus was a 20 dollar option on a 15 dollar gun. Let that sink in for a minute.
I have always loved the Dam barrel '97, and would own one in 16 if I could find it.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #29
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,246 Times in 1,201 Posts

Similar to Parker, Fox, Lefever, etc double guns, many of us have our favorite maker and model of repeater because of actual/perceived good reasons and often just plain nostalgia. For me that's the Winchester Model 12 whether for hunting or clays shooting. Reliability is right up there, something I can't say for other vintage pump gun models I've seen being used at events. I'll repeat what a friend said while three of our gang were shooting clays with M-12's on Wednesday ….. they should have stopped designing pump guns after the Model 1912 came out. Ha! Besides, Model 12's with ribs "got the look" that few other repeaters whether pumps or semi-autos can even come close to. Yah I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

There are few scenarios nicer for M-12 clays shooters than can happen at an event along with B, K, P o/u's and competition gas guns with the latest hyped up screw chokes, and having their owners see you grind up the clays with an old fixed choke Winny 12 that fits well and almost pumps itself.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2020, 01:27 PM   #30
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,460 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Similar to Parker, Fox, Lefever, etc double guns, many of us have our favorite maker and model of repeater because of actual/perceived good reasons and often just plain nostalgia. For me that's the Winchester Model 12 whether for hunting or clays shooting. Reliability is right up there, something I can't say for other vintage pump gun models I've seen being used at events. I'll repeat what a friend said while three of our gang were shooting clays with M-12's on Wednesday ….. they should have stopped designing pump guns after the Model 1912 came out. Ha! Besides, Model 12's with ribs have "the look" that few other repeaters whether pumps or semi-autos can even come close to. Yah I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

There are few scenarios nicer for M-12 clays shooters than can happen at an event along with B, K, P o/u's and competition gas guns with the latest hyped up screw chokes, and having their owners see you grind up the clays with an old fixed choke Winny 12 that fits and almost pumps itself.
Strangely I like the look of a doggy dick (Cutts Compensator) on the end of a Model 12 vent rib gun or A-5 and even an 1100 skeet gun . A Poly Choke however is another matter as I loathe those things .