Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Grouse and Woodcock Books
Unread 03-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,227 Times in 12,373 Posts

Default Grouse and Woodcock Books

Though I have a pretty extensive library on the topics of grouse and woodcock hunting, I just feel there must be some titles I'm missing - either old classics I've missed along the way or even contemporary titles. I sure hope there are other books out there that I don't have yet...

How about some suggestions? I would ease the burden on those making suggestions by listing the titles I have, but think of the burden that would place on me

I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,155 Times in 3,259 Posts

i would have to charge you by the hour to make a list of what I have - should I include the classic and hard to find setter training books I have never been able to get the dogs to read

a great new one if you did not get it is George King's "That's Ruff" he passed away shortly after it came out.
Unread 03-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

seriously - I will take a look, and try to list some of the less common titles

anything by George Bird Evans of course (18 book titles I think- some had more than one edition, some were one and very limited)

Spiller and Foster I am sure you have

some less common titles off the top of my head
Wings of Thunder: New England Grouse Hunting Revisited Mulak
John Alden Knight's Ruffed Grouse and his Woodcock titles
The Ruffled Grouse by Frank C. Edminster of the NY study team Bump et al
Unread 03-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanks Rick - I have "That's Ruff" signed and inscribed by George. I hold that book in very high regard and consider it among my true 'classics' - right up there with Spiller, Foster, Sheldon, Woolner, P.H. Babcock and others. I must admit that I have but three of Evans' books... I don't know why but he never appealed to me much. I don't have any of the Old Hemlock titles... I know you and so many others hold him in very high regard and that's well and good - each to his own. Change my mind - it's open.

Yup, I have the titles you mention, except the Evans books... I'll sell my Gardiner Bump book if anyone wants a very long - very dry documentary on every tiny detail of the life and times of the ruffed grouse, ad nauseum.
Unread 03-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Thanks Rick - I have "That's Ruff" signed and inscribed by George. I hold that book in very high regard and consider it among my true 'classics' - right up there with Spiller, Foster, Sheldon, Woolner, P.H. Babcock and others. I must admit that I have but three of Evans' books... I don't know why but he never appealed to me much. I don't have any of the Old Hemlock titles... I know you and so many others hold him in very high regard and that's well and good - each to his own. Change my mind - it's open.

I know many don't take to his style- but several of GBE's books are anthologies - collections of other's works, those may be worth a look for you.

I was fortunate to have had several phone conversations with Mr King about his book and his experiences after it was sold out. Then out of the blue, he called me back one day and and said someone who had ordered the book never sent the check and he thought I would appreciate having it- so I may have received the last inscribed copy

btw- i was referring to a different book than that Bump study, written solely by one of the team members. My parent's place's front windows looked out at Connecticut Hill - so I am "required" by geography to have them
Unread 03-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Hmmmm just so happens I have a decent collection myself that may hit the block in the semi near future .
Unread 03-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,343 Times in 4,421 Posts

We need one of these threads on quail hunting. I have found that if you keep your eye out for books that are privately published or published in limited runs and only available in a few places, there is some great stuff. People who have been hunting their whole life and want to share some of their experiences, as opposed to promoting Realtree or the latest Orvis lodge. You just have to keep your eye out and strike whenever you see something
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 03-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #8
PopPop
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean,

Might I recommend a light little book entitled A Hunter's Book of Days by Chuck Fergus. This is his latest I believe, and I was lucky enough to pick up a copy and get it signed this past weekend at a land owners conference in Altoona.

Mr. Fergus's style has always reminded me of Gene Hill's style. Just great short stories with a lot of dog work and nice guns.

Mr. Fergus wrote for the PA Game News and has written other books as well. One of my favorites is The Wingless Crow. That's another good choice to have in your library, in my humble opinion.

PopPop
Larry Stalnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Stalnaker For Your Post:
Unread 03-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanks Larry. I know the name Charles Fergus, and Jim Fergus, but don't recall reading any of their stuff. I'll have to look them up on ABE books.
Unread 03-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

I enjoyed Furgus' book, "A Rough Shooting Dog"