Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 04-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

NO!
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
Steve Kleist
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
First off there is no perfect Grouse gun. Ok now that thats cleared up it depends on the time of the season. Early on when the leaves are thick I like a DHE 20 straight grip and choked cyl/cyl. Early October when the Woodcock are available a VHE 28 also straight grip choked skt/skt sees the coverts. This year a certain AA 28 w/ball grip will make it's debut When the leaves begin to fall and visability increases then the 28 inch damascuss GH 16 comes out to play with the ic/m chokes.

In reality the perfect Grouse gun is the one I'm carrying at the time I'm hunting Mr. Grouse
Rich,
You are on target with those gun and especially choke choices. We differ only slightly with gauge preferences. I love those open chokes for the early season alders.....there's nothing like ruining the resale by opening chokes to make a gun perfect!
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist Ely, MN
Steve Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #13
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

This particular Day ,This One !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 Grouse 006.JPG (304.6 KB, 11 views)
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Of course it is!
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #15
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Steve I haven't opened the chokes on any of the guns mentioned. I'm sure the chokes were opened on the DHE 20 at CYL/CYL but I didn't do it.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Ok, I'll weigh in on a subject that is as difficult to nail down as what to look for in the perfect woman.

I will not use the term balance because it is misleading. To me, the most important aspect is the dynamics of the gun. I like a piece with a bit of weight but with most of it between the hands. The weight smooths the swing and tames muzzle jump. A dynamic gun will feel much lighter than it actually is. It will come to the target smoothly and smooth equates to fast. And, since I like to practice quite a bit with my grouse gun, weight very much tames recoil.

I've had the pleasure of shooting many different so called grouse guns. Very few have qualified. Passable yes, but ideal no. I have no bone to pick with the 28 ga except the cost and availability of ammo and their excessively light weight. Most I've shot had more perceived recoil than my 12's. The 12 is just overkill for grouse but if I had one with the right dynamics I would not hesitate to use it. The 20 has everything going for it. Ammo , reloading components, and empty hulls are easy to find. There is enough weight but not so much that an old guy like me cannot carry it all day.

After many years of looking and trying different guns I found what I consider ideal. It is a Parker repro 20 with 26 inch barrels that weighs 6-12. It has double triggers which I consider ideal for skittish grouse over dogs. Switching barrels is instant and without thought. I had the ckokes opened to .004 and .008. The tight barrel will break clays hard to 30 plus yards, about the max I will shoot at a grouse. The factory Q1/Q2 would make an ideal combination but I could not find one when I was in the market to buy.

This is my dedicated grouse gun and my only wish is that I had it 40 years ago. While it is, in my opinion, an ideal grouse gun I have used it quite a bit for doves as well. I've shot more doubles on doves with this gun than any other. Two years ago I managed 3 doubles in a row. There is no amount of money that would get me to part with it.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 04-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

At the end of the day all that I can say is I am glad it's easier to find the perfect woman than the perfect grouse gun and it's a hell of a lot less expensive (relatively speaking, of course).
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

I've beeen watching this thread with interest. I have many good grouse guns, but not the perfect one yet. I have Setterman's perfect gun-- an O frame 16 DHE w/ cyl/mod chokes, and st. grip, but the damn thing is too short (13 7/8 lop) with about 3" of drop. This year I am going to shoot a VH 20 w/ 26" cyl/m @ 6 lbs even. It hasnt been carried since 1990 when I tripped on the only piece of barbed wire I have ever seen in the woods in the UP, and broke the stock. My Vh 1 frame 16 has been my goto grouse getter for many years-just wish it was a few ounces lighter. Also have some Sterlingworth 16's and 20's that have to be carried a few days a year.
Not a Parker, but a little grade 2 Ugartechea 20 at 5 1/2 lbs went 11 out of 15 during my last 3 days in the UP last year.
Truth told, I would hunt with my old Iver Johnson single shot 30' full choke 12 as long as I could hunt over my dogs(setters).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0673.jpg (549.3 KB, 6 views)
Harold Lee Pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harold Lee Pickens For Your Post:
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Harold ,Nice picture , isn't it amazing how much a Dogs ear will bleed when stuck with a Heavy Briar or crab apple !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #20
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

yeah Harold

I am glad to see other setters that are as thrilled to pose as much as mine