Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Dove Populations for 2014
Unread 08-21-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
Patrick Butler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Dove Populations for 2014

Here is the first federal dove report I found online.

I was looking for numbers for this September in California:

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/Ne...tus%202014.pdf
Patrick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick Butler For Your Post:
Unread 08-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

looks like its gona be a good year...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
Patrick Butler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
looks like its gonna be a good year...charlie
Re doves, the long-range weather forecast for N CA is very good weather (warm) for all day to September 1 and 2nd. Doves are the ultimate sporting clays and taste much better...

One of the many problems faced by N CA dove hunters is the lack of open land for hunting. I understand the need for a 100 K initiation fee for a duck club, but the few public areas have lots restrictions and are many miles away.

I must admit that, due the attrition of my friends, I have just resorted to
placing adverts for hunting this 9/1. AZ is just too far for a drive. Flying with Parkers is a hassle. Things have changed since I was born here in the mid 40's...

Patrick
Unread 08-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,215 Times in 896 Posts

Patrick your post brings up an interesting topic of open land for hunting. I imagine in a lot of the country you do not hunt unless you have written permission of the landowner or belong to a hunting club. I guess we here in northern New England have it pretty good still. We do have some posted land, but very few acres compared to southern New England or the rest of the country. Here in New Hampshire land is considered open to hunting unless posted otherwise, by law. That does not mean that one should not ask the landowner for permission out of courtesy of course. In the far northern reaches of the state and also in Maine and Vermont, vast acres of paper company land is open to the public for hunting and recreating. In Maine you may need to pay a small daily fee but that is about it. In NH the Connecticut Lakes Headwater Land has 175K acres open to the public. I hope we continue to enjoy this freedom. After all, I live in the "Live Free or Die" State, as written on our license plates
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Patrick Butler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hodges View Post
Patrick your post brings up an interesting topic of open land for hunting. I imagine in a lot of the country you do not hunt unless you have written permission of the landowner or belong to a hunting club. I guess we here in northern New England have it pretty good still. We do have some posted land, but very few acres compared to southern New England or the rest of the country. Here in New Hampshire land is considered open to hunting unless posted otherwise, by law. That does not mean that one should not ask the landowner for permission out of courtesy of course. In the far northern reaches of the state and also in Maine and Vermont, vast acres of paper company land is open to the public for hunting and recreating. In Maine you may need to pay a small daily fee but that is about it. In NH the Connecticut Lakes Headwater Land has 175K acres open to the public. I hope we continue to enjoy this freedom. After all, I live in the "Live Free or Die" State, as written on our license plates
The law in California clearly states that you must have written permission from the land-owner to hunt. The minimum fine for hunter-trespass is $790 and they write a lot of these summons to court.

There is a lot of BLM land here but it is mainly dessert and mountains. Anywhere there is water there are usually farms, very often owned by large agri-corps and they are not too friendly to hunters.

The Army has 150,000 acres about four hours south but you can only hunt on weekends, must pay $40 for two days and must shoot "non-toxic", which I am waiting for RST to reissue for my 2 1/2" chambered 16 and 20. It looks like they will have some loads out for my 10 by November. Kent is sold out of 2 3/4
20s. I should have stocked up earlier.

My ad comes out this morning in three local papers in small cities south of the Bay Area offering $150 (ya, but it beats driving to AZ) to hunt opening day. Things sure have changed here from the days when I could literally walk out my back door and shoot doves...
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick Butler For Your Post:
Unread 08-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

even in mississippi all land is considered posted hunting by written permission only.but we do have lots of public land for hunting and lots of clubs around for a fee...i m lucky i guess i have a few acres to hunt own but all my friends and neighbors are welcome to hunt on opening day of dove season..even the game warden shows up uninvited sometime...if some of you boys are passing through north mississippi labor day bring you gun and shells and come join us ya ll come...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:

Tags
2014 doves, doves