Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 04-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #41
Matt Buckley
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,182 Times in 260 Posts

I have all the antique reloading tools as well for 10, 12, and 16 and enjoy reloading the black powder brass hulls.
Matt Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #42
WHO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,519 Times in 252 Posts

Here is a 10 gauge lifter in a case I put together including Parker reloading tools and Track of the Wolf. 2 5/8" shells. Very enjoyable to reload and hunt with this gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0813171450.jpg (492.4 KB, 11 views)
Wayne Owens is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Wayne Owens For Your Post:
Unread 04-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #43
RickR
Forum Associate

Member Info

A bit late in answering Josey F. about my Q on seating pistol primers, which doing it the old way with shot shells I've had 2 detonations when seating a regular primer by hand. In one instance I have a permanent scar when the brass head of a .410 separated and blew fragments into my fingers. It happened again recently when I was using the old way on a few plastic shells I cut short for some Pyrodex test loads. I was seating wads and the new primer with a wood dowel close to full 12 ga. size. The primers seemed to need a bit harder tap to get all the way in. This time, the shell rim held but the full primer force split the dowel into 4ths and my hand holding it was unhurt (whew). I am assuming the same is possible with the much softer and teeny by comparison primer (but obviously not near enough ker-bang as a shotgun primer). Any primer I might be able to seat that doesn't need more leverage than finger pressure also makes me remember the old doubles with broken firing pins that got stuck in the primer so didn't rebound and bent or broke when the gun was forced open. What am I missing?
Rick Rappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #44
Josey Flynn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Rick, I believe I understand your concern, unfortunately I am not aware of any better or safer way to do this. I have not had a primer go off personally, but have heard similar story’s to yours. I guess I would suggest using a capping tool like the one Wayne posted above, you could wear Leather gloves when seating them as well. Sorry I can’t give you any better info, Hopefully someone else will chime in that is more help than me.
Joseph Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2020, 11:41 PM   #45
Josey Flynn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wayne, that is one beautiful case, it all looks great together!
Joseph Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joseph Flynn For Your Post:
Unread 04-27-2020, 12:56 AM   #46
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,176 Times in 630 Posts

This has been a good thread, sounds like we all should start planning something with hammer Parkers and black powder shells

Wayne, That is a gorgeous gun, accessories, case, shells. I like everything about that and need to work on something similar for both a 10 and a 12. I. You grab your case and go...have a great day in the field...reload at night for the next day. I'll send you a separate note to ask about it. What a great presentation...

Rick, I have had a primmer go off once, in a 44 special shell with the Lee Loader kit. I was more surprised than anything. I think the larger pistol primers are fairly easy to seat in the brass shells though they require more than finger pressure. The antique cappers are a nice way to go. I do have a shell holder for 12 gauge and that is really quick on just a single station press with a primer feed. Most of the time though I like using the vintage tools.
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 04-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #47
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,789 Times in 3,967 Posts

i to have had a primer to go off while reloading shotgun shells...it stuck into a piece of plywood on my reloading table i left it imbedded in that wood to remind me how stout a primer is..charlie.....
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #48
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jerry, thanks for the info. It looks like someone did do some down range testing and the TSS is the way to go. I've never had a primer go 9off and I just use a dowel/hammer and a wooden table top. I'll make sure to use my old time tools [ have one for 12 & 10 ] in the future - don't need a piece of wood stuck in my hand, and knowing my luck I'd do it sooner or latter. Because I only shoot clay birds anymore, with BP in the 12 or 10 I use anywhere from 80 to a 100 grs of 2F and just 1oz of shot. The powder charge varies on how much boom I want - to excite my fellow shooters. I've even used 70grs of 3F and 1oz - works great. And you get a 100 shots out of 1 lb of powder with the 70gr charge. I know you load by volume, but I checked one time and 100grs of 2f by volume equaled a 100grs by weight.
Unread 04-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #49
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,679 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Jerry, why do you think #9 shot doesn't slow down as much as larger shot ? This is the first time I've ever heard of that. Has someone taken down range velocity test ? Thanks for any help.
More proof that the smaller TSS is faster than the bigger lead from Federal Cartridge Company courtesy of the May/June TURKEY COUNTRY from the NWTF:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSS FEDERAL CHART.pdf (1.13 MB, 14 views)
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post: