Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Barrel measurements of my "8ga"
Unread 01-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #1
Member
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 710
Thanks: 271
Thanked 411 Times in 182 Posts

Default Barrel measurements of my "8ga"

So I took some measurements of my 8 ga barrels because I noticed a 8 ga plastic wad was too big but the 10 ga one felt close to right .

This gun should predate chokes from my understanding .
The diameter at the bore is around .787 and the muzzle thickness is .080 .
The breech diameter is around 1.350" . I measured the 8 ga wad I have at .831 I couldnt really get a good reading on the 10 ga wad as its made from alot softer material but it was reading .767 .

Wouldnt .787 make this a 10 ga ? If so its probably the heaviest 10 ga ive seen at 16lbs . Well on the bright side I guess its legal for geese .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10g1.jpg (36.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 10g2.jpg (25.0 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 10g3.jpg (35.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 10g5.jpg (32.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 10g6.jpg (28.2 KB, 137 views)
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
Member
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 710
Thanks: 271
Thanked 411 Times in 182 Posts

Default

muzzle wall thickness
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10g4.jpg (37.5 KB, 142 views)
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 01-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #3
Member
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,623
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5,374 Times in 2,856 Posts

Default

milt that gun appears to be a small bore for a 8 gauge...it appears to be a 10 gauge from the measurements...how long are you barrels...must have lead in the stock..ha to weigh 16 lbs....looks like a good shooter to me....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
Member
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 710
Thanks: 271
Thanked 411 Times in 182 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
milt that gun appears to be a small bore for a 8 gauge...it appears to be a 10 gauge from the measurements...how long are you barrels...must have lead in the stock..ha to weigh 16 lbs....looks like a good shooter to me....charlie
The barrels are 39" or 40" if you measure with the breech plugs .
So I just weighed it with my digital scale . The whole gun weighs 16.0lbs , the barrels weigh 10.4lbs and the stock is about 6lbs . There is a weight in the buttstock . Im not sure how heavy 10.4lbs is for 10 ga barrels but they feel pretty hefty .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #5
Member
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,623
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5,374 Times in 2,856 Posts

Default

those are some heavy barrels for any gauge gun....one fellow on this forum has a 10 ga that the barrels weigh over 10 lbs make that 2 fellows with 10 lb barrels...it is a 10 ga too...my heaviest barrells are 8 lb 6 ounces it is a 8 ga....i do have a 10 ga with 30 inch not cut barrells that weigh 7 lbs 12 ounces heavy for 30 inch barrells...i seen a 10 ga on gunbroker one time that had 30 inch barrels and the barrels weighed over 8 lbs always wished i had bought that gun...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #6
Member
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 710
Thanks: 271
Thanked 411 Times in 182 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
those are some heavy barrels for any gauge gun....one fellow on this forum has a 10 ga that the barrels weigh over 10 lbs make that 2 fellows with 10 lb barrels...it is a 10 ga too...my heaviest barrells are 8 lb 6 ounces it is a 8 ga....i do have a 10 ga with 30 inch not cut barrells that weigh 7 lbs 12 ounces heavy for 30 inch barrells...i seen a 10 ga on gunbroker one time that had 30 inch barrels and the barrels weighed over 8 lbs always wished i had bought that gun...charlie
Theres a Parkers #3 frame on GB and the seller says the barrel weight is 12 as stamped on the barrels . Im wondering if its even possible to have 12lb barrels on a #3 frame they are 32" .

I also wonder with such heavy barrels on my 10 ga what the original intended charge was . None of the other muzzeloading 10 gauges I have seen come close to this weight even with long barrels .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #7
Member
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,623
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5,374 Times in 2,856 Posts

Default

i figure the gun on gunbroker want weigh 12 lbs for the whole gun unless the stock is filled with lead....your gun at 16 lbs should be soft on the shoulder...it would be interesting to know what charge of powder and shot your gun was regulated for....i like those long barrels...you have got your self a true goose gun...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #8
Member
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 710
Thanks: 271
Thanked 411 Times in 182 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
i figure the gun on gunbroker want weigh 12 lbs for the whole gun unless the stock is filled with lead....your gun at 16 lbs should be soft on the shoulder...it would be interesting to know what charge of powder and shot your gun was regulated for....i like those long barrels...you have got your self a true goose gun...charlie
I wish I had another 10 ga muzzleloader I could take some measurements off of to see if this one is more heavily built .

Charly there was a 6 bore that was identical to my 10 for sale last year .
Ive seen other market guns that look just like mine occasionally pop up .

Ive seen them in 10,8,& 6 bore and they all look just like mine .
There was probably a Belgian maker producing these for market hunters in various big gauges .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2020, Parkerguns.org
Copyright 2004 Design par Megatekno
- 2008 style update 3.7 avec l'autorisation de son auteur par Stradfred.