Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Damascus Vs Titanic
Unread 06-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #1
Dan Livesay
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Damascus Vs Titanic

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the Parker Collector family. (Or technically about to be) I am about to make a decision on a DH 16 guage Damascus. I was hoping to get an honest answer on Damascuc Vs Titanic. So far I have talked to two people on this. They couldn't be farther apart. One says they are fine with the right shot, and the other says stay away. I was wondering if anyone knows what one (DH 16 guage) was worth? Should hold out for a Titanic or go with the Damascus?

Thanks All
DanLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,231 Times in 12,375 Posts

Providing both the Damascus and the Titanic barrels are in safe condition - e.g., sufficient wall thickness, absence of severe pitting and dents - either gun should be completely serviceable with the appropriate ammo. Personally, I prefer the Damascus for the beauty of the pattern. Almost everyone at my club who lays eyes on one of my nice Damascus Parkers is completely amazed. It is also a great opportunity to teach folks who have always heard that Damascus will 'unwind' if shot with modern smokeless that this is inherently wrong.

Yup, I'll take the Damascus barreled gun, all else being equal.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #3
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

No practical difference in strength.

Have you read Dr. Drew's treatise in the Damascus Barrel section?
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2016, 05:54 AM   #4
Tom
Forum Associate

Member Info

I would shoot either one , but prefer the damascus just for looks.
Good luck with your search, Tom
Virginia Hessler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia Hessler For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLives View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the Parker Collector family. (Or technically about to be) I am about to make a decision on a DH 16 guage Damascus. I was hoping to get an honest answer on Damascuc Vs Titanic. So far I have talked to two people on this. They couldn't be farther apart. One says they are fine with the right shot, and the other says stay away. I was wondering if anyone knows what one (DH 16 guage) was worth? Should hold out for a Titanic or go with the Damascus?

Thanks All
I don't think there is any question that you can shoot a sound damascus barrel Parker with period correct nitro powder loads. I think there will always be people who will tell you that you shouldn't because that was the advice for decades from ammo and gun makers, outdoor writers and hunter education classes. Many shooters and hunters, dare I say the majority have little to no interest in vintage shotguns. That said it will always be easier to sell a fluid steel gun because nobody thinks there could be a problem with shooting it. When the time comes, a good gun, fluid or damascus will sell based on it's merits, it's just easier to sell a fluid steel gun IMO.
Unread 06-28-2016, 08:46 AM   #6
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

As to value it depends on several factors the first being condition. Are the barrels in the original length they left the factory? Are the chokes correct or have they been opened up? Is the wall thickness safe or have the barrels been honed to remove pits? Is the stock original or has it bee shortened or had a pad added?

No one here will give you a value without some detailed pictures. I have (as do many here) several Damascus barreled guns and shoot them all with low pressure loads and all are quite safe. The value of a fluid steel gun and a Damascus barreled gun of equal condition won't vary very much in today's market.

Find the gun you like have it checked out by a competent gunsmith and enjoy it.
Unread 06-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Dan Livesay
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bruce, Thank You for directing me to Dr Drew Hause. He goes into great historical and technical explanations of Damascus steel and barrels. I have some more reading to do, but it seems that in short..the ammunition manufacturers had a lot to do with popularizing the Titanic steel. With proper powder/loads it seems either are fine. I appreciate your guidance, and Thank You for your reply
The Following User Says Thank You to DanLives For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #8
Dan Livesay
Forum Associate

Member Info

C.O.B. THANK YOU! These are exactly the questions I need to be asking before I commit.
I am still searching and will put pictures when I narrow down. I have found two gentlemen that seem to specialize in antique Parker shotguns. Jay with Vintage firearms (Grand Rapids MI) and Mike in Olathe Kansas. (Mikeej99) both are on gunbroker. If there are any other gentlemen that specialize in Parkers, I would love to know. My interests is with a 12 or 16 guage with nicer engraving and Ejectors. I am really migrating toward the DHE model.
Unread 06-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Tell Jay or Mike what you want and they will find it for you. Both are good guys.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #10
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I know Jay very well but do not know Mike. Another person I have dealt with for over 15 years is Steve Barnett. He is a VERY fair person to deal with. If the ejectors are a big consideration you will likely end up with fluid steel barrels BUT I do have a couple of Damascus guns with them.