Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Middle day break
Unread 12-31-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Default Middle day break

Took a break from deer/bowhunting during the 11am to 1pm window. Grabbed my Paton underlever 16 and took a meander out behind the lodge...fun quick shoot!!

I just love hunting with hammer guns!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0BB61F98-6065-4E76-BC9A-8802F00DC9D8.jpg (517.4 KB, 5 views)
Unread 12-31-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,474 Times in 3,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ray View Post
Took a break from deer/bowhunting during the 11am to 1pm window. Grabbed my Paton underlever 16 and took a meander out behind the lodge...fun quick shoot!!

I just love hunting with hammer guns!
Mark,

Dove AND Bobs?! There's story in this somewhere...
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-31-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Mark,

Dove AND Bobs?! There's story in this somewhere...

Our Texas late dove season is open, as well as quail. My 20 year old Nephew and his Dad all took the walk. We ended up putting four coveys up, and 7 birds total, adhering to our covey rise only rule, no walking up singles from a broken covey. The pasture we were hunting just behind my hunting camp is a sandy piece of high ground covered in wild Crotan, which down here we call it goat weed. The doves were on the ground feeding in the same field, and we shot them as they flushed...got about 20 total...all in all a fun afternoon!
Unread 12-31-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ray View Post
Our Texas late dove season is open, as well as quail. My 20 year old Nephew and his Dad all took the walk. We ended up putting four coveys up, and 7 birds total, adhering to our covey rise only rule, no walking up singles from a broken covey. The pasture we were hunting just behind my hunting camp is a sandy piece of high ground covered in wild Crotan, which down here we call it goat weed. The doves were on the ground feeding in the same field, and we shot them as they flushed...got about 20 total...all in all a fun afternoon!
Mark,

Thanks! I just need the ambient temperature to make me cry (so don't tell me!). If it was pleasant, and you could walk up quail and dove without a dog, I don't want to know about it...it will keep me up at nights.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-31-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Now back to this!!

It was an impromtu walk, about 50 degrees. Hobbs and Raider are at home with My bride (although they are headed out here tonight for New Years Eve) so we has no pointing services! We did have Tank, my Nephews white lab, although I never needed him. Decent quail number on our place this year, even with some flooding. So far I think our dead bird count is around 100 for the season, with 90 % of those shot over dogs. I personally have hunted very little this year, too many other “life” challenges. My partner in this place has done about 5 days using a pro dog handler, and 4 shooters taking two man walk ups on points. Whatever two shooters take on a covey rise is okay. We require double guns, so very rarely we will take four on the rise, th only time we work singles is if a coveyflushes wild, and no one gets a shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69290112-42D7-40C3-9362-ED91815D0836.jpg (497.7 KB, 6 views)
Unread 12-31-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Tough life...I feel sorry for you...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-01-2019, 07:02 AM   #7
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Years ago We had a pasture full of goat weed and I would keep an eye on it and when the doves really go to using it.I would put my shotgun in the truck and after checking my steers would have myself a little dove shoot. Great fun and doves do love goat weed.
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2019, 12:37 PM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel G Rainey View Post
Years ago We had a pasture full of goat weed and I would keep an eye on it and when the doves really go to using it.I would put my shotgun in the truck and after checking my steers would have myself a little dove shoot. Great fun and doves do love goat weed.
Dan, It must be nice to have your own private dove field, even if you do have to share it with the livestock. We have begun a prairie restoration project in the 5 acre field next to us. To begin the project we sprayed herbicide to kill all of the fescue. The seed bank was rich with seed that must have been lying dormant for many years and we had lots of volunteer forbs and grasses that first Fall. The dove loved it! The following year when our prairie planting started to take hold, we did not have nearly the dove, but the deer have come to the field in large numbers. You would think we had planted deer candy. Just wondering what this coming year will bring as we see more native plants mature. It's an island of natives in a sea of fescue pastures, but I keep hoping that a pair of Bobs will take up residence.