Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-04-2022, 06:49 AM   #41
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,905 Times in 4,771 Posts

Charlie, my DH 3 frame Lefever sleeved ten is a 3 1/2" gun. I have never measured the chokes or weighed it. That can be a project for the next day or two. The rib is stamped "Lefever Steel" in very Parkeresque letters.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2022, 07:41 AM   #42
Mike Bartlett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie, I have two, mono-blocked/sleeved by Lefever Arms Co, formerly of Lee Center, NY, 10ga, 3 1/2in magnum Parkers. A GH, 32" with a fishtail top-lever and 30" PH both IM and F with Edwards mercury reducers in the stock. Lefever had one of Parker's rib machines; the sleeving was excellent. I used the Magnums for turkeys and geese. With the advent of TSS shot, I use light-loads in my Damascus hammer and hammerless Parkers and find little use for the 10g magnums. I might consider parting with one of them.
Michael Bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Michael Bartlett's homepage!
Unread 03-04-2022, 07:56 AM   #43
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,315 Times in 1,219 Posts

JFI, the 12/32" VHE that's on the cover of the Winter PP has 2-7/8" chambers, weighs 8^9 and barrels have an unstruck weight of 4^9. No info available for that s/n except that its sequence shows made in 1924 with the advent of factory 12g/3-inch/1-3/8 ounce progressive shells. Interesting, this "Super 12" has the longest chokes I've ever measured to include Super-Fox guns = chokes full tapered and their leades starting a little more than 6" back from the muzzles.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 03-04-2022, 08:03 AM   #44
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,688 Times in 1,865 Posts

2 7/8" chambers were not limited to the big guns by PB either, even the little 20's were chambered for the longer shell. This one came with a very informative letter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ResLet.jpg (319.3 KB, 4 views)
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 03-04-2022, 08:08 AM   #45
Mike Bartlett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Drew,

Ed Lander recently passed away recently in his late 90's. Formerly of Groton, NH, he moved to Lakeville, MA where he as a gunsmith for over 40 years. He retired in Alexandria, NH. Ed traveled on numerous occasions to visit most all the major gun manufacturing companies in England and Scotland as well as making annual pilgrimages with groups for grouse hunting and Red Stag. Ed Good, like myself, knew and used the services of Ed Lander for years.
Michael Bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Michael Bartlett's homepage!
Unread 03-04-2022, 08:24 PM   #46
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,002 Times in 1,134 Posts

Mike, I'm curious how a gunsmith with 40 years experience, and visits to English and Scottish gun makers, could convince himself that torch coloring a doublegun frame/action was an accepted practice? Ed Good advertised many, many examples of these "frog eye" colored doubles and attributed them all to Ed Lander.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2022, 02:22 AM   #47
LtCol Henderson Marriott
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
JFI, the 12/32" VHE that's on the cover of the Winter PP has 2-7/8" chambers, weighs 8^9 and barrels have an unstruck weight of 4^9. No info available for that s/n except that its sequence shows made in 1924 with the advent of factory 12g/3-inch/1-3/8 ounce progressive shells. Interesting, this "Super 12" has the longest chokes I've ever measured to include Super-Fox guns = chokes full tapered and their leades starting a little more than 6" back from the muzzles.
Interesting again. But keep in mind that Nash Buckingham gave up his 34 in
barreled Parker in favor of a Becker-bored Super Fox. Based on the patterns achieved on deceased geese and wild turkey at above 50 yards with coppered No. 4 shot or bore-safe enviro-metal shot, my HE Super Fox must also have been overbored, choked and polished by Bert Becker. That said , every shotgun is a law unto itself-as to shot
patterns at known distances.
henderson Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to henderson Marriott For Your Post:
Unread 03-05-2022, 08:24 AM   #48
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,315 Times in 1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson Marriott View Post
Interesting again. But keep in mind that Nash Buckingham gave up his 34 in
barreled Parker in favor of a Becker-bored Super Fox. Based on the patterns achieved on deceased geese and wild turkey at above 50 yards with coppered No. 4 shot or bore-safe enviro-metal shot, my HE Super Fox must also have been overbored, choked and polished by Bert Becker. That said , every shotgun is a law unto itself-as to shot
patterns at known distances.
Let's keep in mind that some (950) 12g Super-Foxes were made and Becker only hand massaged a small percentage of them. Also that they were patterned using long gone paper shells with discontinued single-base powders, fiber wads and 1-3/8 ounce of bare lead shot. Lastly they were "guaranteed" only for the specific shell used for pattern testing.

It's a long stretch trying to transfer that aura to Supers used with modern shells loaded with different double-base powders, plastic shotcups and non-tox or even with lead shot. Looking at a shot riddled turkey, goose or duck carcass is no substitute for objective data from long range patterning with at least 3 shot % averages with each shell. For anyone interested there's a number of articles on Supers and Super Twelves in the DGJ, including one that extensively tests modern 3-inch shells for pattern efficiency and penetration in pine (at increasing distances) from a Super-Fox, Winchester 21 Duck and a Model 12 Heavy Duck.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 03-05-2022, 08:32 AM   #49
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,905 Times in 4,771 Posts

I have owned two 20 gauge Parkers made for 3" shells, still have one. My missing 20, #153,333, was ordered to shoot a heavier load than I have ever seen mentioned at the time on a Parker order, 3 dram, 1 ounce.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2022, 11:22 AM   #50
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

bill wish you cpold find that missing 20 ga of yours I m sure the chokes would have been full and fuller....years ago my dad put on a lot of turkey shoots..the target was a piece of paper and he supplied the shells the prize was a live turkey...hate to say it most times a 20 ga or a 16 ga took the turkey home...some of them guns really throwed tight patterns....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote