Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 03-01-2024, 10:48 AM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Always to look forward to. Let’s hope life is full in the interim, and that broods are large and healthy.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2024, 11:00 AM   #12
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,403 Times in 599 Posts

I do not write this as a criticism of any one person. A 160 day season seems excessive. Yes many hunters only hunt the milder fall months and snow depths in a normal winter will put a stop to most hunters. Winters are not normal now.

The few that hunt the Jan and Feb. part of the season are the most dedicated and experienced therefore the deadliest.

The bioligists tell us that it makes no difference but a bird who survives 90 days of the season along with natural predation is a likely breeder. Now it must get through another 60 days

My state, Mass. had the same season as N.Y. for many years and now have brought it back to about 40 days but we have no grouse now so it makes no difference.

Again i mean nothing negative to any one hunter
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2024, 11:08 AM   #13
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,595 Times in 388 Posts

I used to think that way ,left coverts alone so birds would breed in spring. All that made no difference. The birds are all gone ,it made no difference if the land was hunted or private with no hunting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James L. Martin For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2024, 11:48 AM   #14
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,468 Times in 971 Posts

I averaged one bird per hour in NYS this year. Averaged over that last year, like 1.3 or so. There are certainly pockets of birds. Other hot spots from the past are totally devoid. I would do better if I was retired and could spend my days findings those pockets. I have found that the Catskills has been awful for two years in a row now.
Unread 03-01-2024, 11:55 AM   #15
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,595 Times in 388 Posts

Andy, I agree, the Catskills have been very disappointing lately.
I Sure Miss Ohio Grouse and the longer Season
Unread 03-01-2024, 02:35 PM   #16
Jim McKee
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default I Sure Miss Ohio Grouse and the longer Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roemer View Post
I miss the late season (and birds) in Ohio.
I sure miss it here
Jim McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McKee For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2024, 10:53 PM   #17
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
I do not write this as a criticism of any one person. A 160 day season seems excessive. Yes many hunters only hunt the milder fall months and snow depths in a normal winter will put a stop to most hunters. Winters are not normal now.

The few that hunt the Jan and Feb. part of the season are the most dedicated and experienced therefore the deadliest.

The bioligists tell us that it makes no difference but a bird who survives 90 days of the season along with natural predation is a likely breeder. Now it must get through another 60 days

My state, Mass. had the same season as N.Y. for many years and now have brought it back to about 40 days but we have no grouse now so it makes no difference.

Again i mean nothing negative to any one hunter
Daniel,

No offense taken here, and I know that the biologists are, and have been, deliberating over whether the later seasons are impacting populations. There are certainly so many variables. When I hunted in February in Ohio and Kentucky over many years, only once did I meet another grouse hunter on public land. I know they were there, but widely dispersed. I also hunted Tennessee's second woodcock season years ago that was timed to catch birds flying North in late February. I miss those days, but frankly, I would not hunt those times with today's numbers, decreasing habitat and habitat degradation. I recall reading George Bird Evans' admonitions about late seasons for grouse in his West Virginia. It was ironic that he continued to hunt in February. We all like to think that the bird we take is not contirubing to the declining numbers of the birds we love. We each have to decide for ourselves in the end, and thankfully we generally have the freedom to do so.

I know I have imposed limits on my take. I have not taken a bag limit of wild birds in many years. I've killed enough birds in my life time, but have not hunted enough days, or watched my dogs quest for birds enough, or used my cherished shotguns in covers both new and familiar as much as I hope to.

I just want the best for our birds. I can't change being a hunter, but I can be as judicious and knowledgable about what my part in nature is now, and for the future.

I appreciated your comments.

Garry
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 03-02-2024, 04:54 AM   #18
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,403 Times in 599 Posts

Garry you mention a Feb. season for woodcock which i did not know about and that opens another discussion. The season in Canada opens in Sept. with a limit of 8 and as they migrate south continues through Feb. That is 6 months. It can be argued that many do not hunt them in the south but i believe that has changed with the drop in quail numbers.

In my 77 years i have experienced the management of ducks, \striped bass, cod and others for maximum yield and opportunity for us and the results are obvious. The people in charge are in a position of having to answer to a constituency that wants it both ways, abundance and use. I do not envy them. A very complicated subject with no clear answer.
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post: