Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

My First American "Classic" Ithaca NID4E 12Ga.
Unread 01-25-2024, 04:28 PM   #1
Frank Good
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default My First American "Classic" Ithaca NID4E 12Ga.

I purchased my first American "Classic" SxS this past summer, a 1927 Ithaca NID4E 12Ga. 2bbl set. It came with a set of 30" bbls choke stamped 4/4(F/F) and as et of 24" 0/0(CYL/CYL).
After receiving it from the dealer I purchased it from online I was pleasantly surprised at what arrived and I immediately sent it to Stillwater Restorations for servicing and ended up having a bit of restoration work done to it at Chris's recommendation. While the gun was there being worked on I sent to the Cody Museum to see if I could get a letter for the gun and give me a bit of insight if the gun was ordered as a two bbl set or if the second set was an after thought. As it turned out it was factory ordered as a set. The letter does not give much info on delivery to whomever ordered it but there is a name and partial address.
Here are a few pre-restoration pictures....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6457.jpg (94.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6449.jpg (62.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6452.jpg (64.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6431.jpg (124.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6443.jpg (71.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Frank Good; 01-25-2024 at 04:39 PM..
Frank Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2024, 04:33 PM   #2
Frank Good
PGCA Member

Member Info

And a few post restoration pictures... Barrels, forend irons and trigger guard were reblued, receiver and top lever were colour case hardened as the original was mostly gone except for a few traces. Wood was untouched as it was not in need of any work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8062.jpg (501.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8075.jpg (507.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8072.jpg (496.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9493.jpg (496.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8070.jpg (492.5 KB, 8 views)
Unread 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM   #3
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

An absolutely stunning set. Looked pretty damn good as it was before restoration. Ithaca always seemed to use great wood on their graded guns.
Unread 01-25-2024, 04:52 PM   #4
Frank Good
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
An absolutely stunning set. Looked pretty damn good as it was before restoration. Ithaca always seemed to use great wood on their graded guns.
Harold the gun was restocked about 10 years ago as the original split in half full length from wrist to toe. Chris Dawe of Stillwater Restorations restocked the gun and I called him prior to purchasing it as I was sure looking at the dealers ad and Chris specializing in antique SxS restorations that he might know the gun as it was on the same coast as him. As it turned out I was right, he knew the gun well and it was through him I found out the gun had been restocked by him. The dealer had advertised it as restocked and it looked like Chris' work so that is another reason I called him. It was on his advice that I bought the gun. Chris indicated the forend wood was still 100% original and untouched. Trying to find a picture of my Cody letter.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank Good For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2024, 05:26 PM   #5
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,302 Times in 630 Posts

That is a great looking NID grade 4, thanks for sharing the pictures Frank!

I like the Prince of Whales grip (half pistol). Please do share a picture of the letter!

I'm scratching my head as to why the rearward trigger guard screw is covering part of the serial #, does the gun letter as a straight grip originally?

Stan
Stan Hoover is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2024, 07:21 PM   #6
Frank Good
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hoover View Post
That is a great looking NID grade 4, thanks for sharing the pictures Frank!

I like the Prince of Whales grip (half pistol). Please do share a picture of the letter!

I'm scratching my head as to why the rearward trigger guard screw is covering part of the serial #, does the gun letter as a straight grip originally?

Stan
Yes I believe it was. I believe the old polaroid photos that were in the case showing the broken stock were a straight grip. I'll have a look and see. I found that screw hole through the serial # a little odd myself. I have a feeling that the broken stock may not have been original either, I believe it may have been a replacement at some point. It definitely did not match the checkering of the original forends and the wood was plain as a brown paper bag. The gun definitely saw use but mechanically it was very solid and it did not have any pitting in the metal or work done to the bores. Someone had hot blued the barrels at some point as well so Chris offered to do them to closer match the original factory finish and colour. The letter is very vague but did show it was ordered as a two barrel set.

Frank
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Good For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2024, 08:11 PM   #7
Frank Good
PGCA Member

Member Info

So I went digging around and found an old photo that had come with the gun. As you can see it is straight gripped but I'm certain by the checkering and if memory serves Chris did say the old fellow who had him restock it had a non-original stock on the gun to replace the higher grade stock it had come with that got broken and that the original wore a Prince of Wales grip and he wanted Chris to replicate the original with the proper checkering pattern as well. I took a few photos, as you can see the forend wood serial # matches on both forends so the gun did come with higher grade wood new and the Fleur-De-Lis checkering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9625.jpg (489.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9626.jpg (470.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9623.jpg (497.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6429.jpg (95.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6427.jpg (100.6 KB, 0 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank Good For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2024, 10:48 PM   #8
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,302 Times in 630 Posts

That is a unique 2 barrel set for sure, I don’t recall ever seeing another Ithaca 12 gauge with factory 24” barrels.
I’ve seen a 20 gauge and 28 gauges with 24” barrels.

The trigger guard would have had 1 screw which was in the middle of the serial number on the graded NID’s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1176.jpg (500.4 KB, 1 views)
Stan Hoover is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2024, 11:00 PM   #9
Frank Good
PGCA Member

Member Info

AS you can clearly see the trigger guard on this one is much longer than the pics you posted and it is the original trigger guard. I have seen pics of a few identical to mine as well and it has two screws to your one. I am guessing due to this gun having been made new with a Prince Of Wales grip as opposed to the standard tight curled pistol grip. It may also explain why the screw goes through the serial#. Maybe the engraving was completed prior to securing the trigger guard to the stock? I am going to contact Chris at Stillwater and ask a few questions. He specializes in restoring antique American SxS's and has a wealth of knowledge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8072.jpg (496.7 KB, 4 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Good For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2024, 11:32 PM   #10
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,836 Times in 2,363 Posts

Every pistol grip NID I've saved pictures of has the one screw trigger guard backstrap. Pistol grip Lewis, Minier and Flues Models have two-screw trigger guard backstraps.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post: