Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Got the 8 and 10 to the range today
Unread 03-11-2022, 03:13 PM   #1
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,003 Times in 464 Posts

Default Got the 8 and 10 to the range today

And I didnt really get any useable patterns well with the T and F shot, I was shooting at 50-55 yards next time I need to bring it back some. I did shoot the 000000 buckshot load out the 8 gauge at 10 and 50 yards, looks like 7 out of 8 pellets landed in about a 16" area at 50 yards. Interestingly I found 1 pellet stuck in the 100 yard rifle target, I thought after passing through a couple 2x4s it would have deformed severely? They are .410 roundballs I bought from trackofthewolf but they surprised me. I noticed my 10 gauge NH seems to prefer #2 bismuth over anything else even lead 4s, the RST bismuth load pretty much covered the poster board at 50 yards evenly.

I started shooting the 8 gauge like I was at a CAS match and thats actually alot of fun too bad 8 gauge isnt legal for CAS.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 03-11-2022, 03:17 PM   #2
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Forgot to add when I was walking back the the truck there was a old fellow sitting in the parking lot, he seen me walk by with the 8 gauge and I heard "Good God almighty what a shotgun". He quickly walked over to me and asked me what the h*** kind of shotgun I had was. When I said 8 gauge the look on his face was priceless and he told me he was a cartridge collector and offered to buy one of my fired cases, which I just gave him one for free. I plan on giving them to someone when I get enough shot up anyhow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 03-11-2022, 08:14 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

them are some good patterns....a deer would be in trouble shot with those loads...them would make good beaver dispatchers....the look on someone s face wnen they see a 8 ga is priceless...I would like to hear the old mans storey as he tell s others about what he had seen today...made me smile I know that look....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 03-11-2022, 09:53 PM   #4
MattHaney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Boy those are some big guns! Looks like you're having fun.
MattHaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2022, 10:45 PM   #5
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
them are some good patterns....a deer would be in trouble shot with those loads...them would make good beaver dispatchers....the look on someone s face wnen they see a 8 ga is priceless...I would like to hear the old mans storey as he tell s others about what he had seen today...made me smile I know that look....charlie
Maybe I'll run into him again and let him shoot it, I had shot all 23rds I took with me though when he showed up. Im surprised 7/8 pellets stayed on the paper at 50 yards as my 8 gauge has no choke left it in. I tried to pattern some 000 out of the 10 gauge but they had no pattern at 50 yards. I noticed last night 000 stacks in even layers of 4 in the 8 gauge but seeing how hard the 41 cal round balls hit I now want to try tweaking the load. I wonder if developing a buffered load would help there is a ton of empty space around the .41 rbs. I tested my homemade 8 gauge shot cups also they work but could use some adjustments.
Unread 03-11-2022, 10:47 PM   #6
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHaney View Post
Boy those are some big guns! Looks like you're having fun.
I kind of wish I had a 4 bore to do some testing with as .490 round balls should stack in a layer of 2 in a 4 bore case Im thinking that would make for a nasty buckshot load.
Unread 03-12-2022, 05:04 AM   #7
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

So the recovered buckshot weighs 98.9grs and a non fired one weighs 99.1grs so pretty good weight retention. I also found a SP-8 wad at about 55yds you can see the pellet shape pressed into the fiber wad from setback.
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 03-12-2022, 07:02 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

I believe you have a good buckshot load...I too wish I had a 4 gauge to shoot I ve got a fey loaded shells and several new primed hulls in yhe 4 ga but no gun...charlie
Unread 03-12-2022, 10:28 PM   #9
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
I believe you have a good buckshot load...I too wish I had a 4 gauge to shoot I ve got a fey loaded shells and several new primed hulls in yhe 4 ga but no gun...charlie
I just loaded a few 10 and 8 gauge loads with some #2 shot I had salvaged from other shells. The 10 gauge seems to prefer it well see how it does in the 8 gauge. My 10 gauge actually seems to pattern bismuth 2s better than lead 4s for whatever reason. I found a place that has some #2 hard shot in stock, #2 is pretty versatile in GA since its about the largest shot size you can use for most things.
Unread 03-13-2022, 01:16 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

no 2 is the biggest shot we can use too..not many years back we could use a rifle or even buckshot...my favorite shot size was bb and no 2...used a rifle some but never got to kill one with a rifle...my scope got knocked outa specks once missed turkey at about 40 steps turkey flew into a tree about 100 steps wind was blowing hard I shot up nearly abox of shells...was shooting a 222 Remington....my dad came up and wanted to know what I was shooting so much about that time turkey flew outa off the tree...got home shot the rifle it was shooting about 4 feet off....charlie