Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 10-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #41
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,470 Times in 3,042 Posts

Well, it's definitely not too warm in the north country right now. We arrived on Saturday to spitting snow and rain, and Sunday's high was 29 degrees. Bruce must have taken the snow with him -- hallelujah -- as we found only traces and wet conditions.

Too early to tell about bird numbers, but we flushed 9 on Sunday hunting about 4 hours, and yesterday, after the sun finally came out, we had a nice two hour hunt during which we flushed 12 grouse. Our Alder had 5 nice points on this hunt, but her handler (yours truly) got no shots from her points, and, predictably, missed a wild flushing incomer on his only chance. That's grouse hunting.

We have very spotty cell and internet service, but I will try to send another report or two...and hope that Harold and others will share their north country grouse hunts also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1012.jpg (177.8 KB, 4 views)
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #42
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Sure am glad I don't live in such cold and "snow country"....!
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 10-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #43
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Well, Richard sure has me pegged as an October snow wimp. I like my Octobers brisk and colorful.

The vagaries of grouse hunting are part of the appeal. One day we hunt all day and flush 9 birds, and then the next we put up 26. Certainly the wind, 25-plus mph, is part of the mix. And then there's the lack of chances at birds. In spite of flushing 26 birds yesterday, only three offered shots, and unfortunately, none over two nice points by our puppy who is still figuring out what's going on, but knows to stop and point when he smells grouse. Oh, to be able to shoot one for the young guy.

We've also encountered a good deal of evidence that there was a strong windstorm with one trail almost obliterated by large downed trees. The good news is that the grouse like hiding in the blowdowns.

We are also getting into some woodcock and they are offering opportunities, although typically tough in heavy cover. With birds in the bag, chances for the dogs, and weather that's the kind you live the rest of the year waiting for, I'll take a snowless, calm, brisk day in the Minnesota north woods!

We are looking to meet PGCA member Jeff C. next week for lunch at one of the local eating spots. It will be nice to swap stories with a fellow hunter-collector. I should note that I've been using my go-to grouse gun so far on this trip -- my 1930s John Dickson and Sons box lock 28 bore. At 5 lbs. 3 oz. it's a nice all-day carry gun that kills birds just fine when I can "see" them. I'll break out the Parker DH 16 later in the hunt for its inaugural outing.

P.S. Bruce, sorry that the weather played havoc with your recent hunt. It's clear to me that bird numbers are up over last year.

Below:

1. The Rice Lake Duck Clubhouse, far back on a two track.
2. Getting through the blowdowns is worth it -- there's grouse there.
3. Our girl, Cedar, and one of "her" birds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1014.jpg (176.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1060.jpg (195.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1054.jpg (216.6 KB, 4 views)
Unread 10-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #44
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

I find grouse hunting in the snow can be very exciting. They often launch from a snow-covered young spruce in a white explosion challenging you to come quickly to your senses if you want a shot at all. It’ almost more than my senses can take - I love it!
But I’m with you - The Autumn colors - Autumn smells - and the “walks in the woods" daydreaming of past hunts and hoping to repeat the best of those times, now with my eager setter, really does it for me.

The fact that yours is a Gordon is, of course, quite fitting.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #45
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

We had tried some of the backroads after the big wind storm and had not been able to get through the blown down trees. I made a mental note to bring a chainsaw next year.

My conclusion is the same, bird numbers are up over last year, which was a terrible year, but still not the numbers we would like to see.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 10-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #46
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

Bruce, coming out of a cover one eve after a big storm, I found a tree lying across the road--bigger than I could move myself. I had a 30' tow strap with me , fastened it it around the tree and then to the truck. I was able to snap the tree in half and get thru.
Yeah, a chain saw is a good idea. Im thinkig one of those electric ones might be good--keep the gas/oil fumes away from the dogs.
Unread 10-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #47
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Yes, get a nice quiet cordless electric chainsaw. We had one in Montana while doing some gold exploration a few yrs back and cut and dragged trees off the trails we took into the hills around Phillipsburg. I was impressed with how well that little saw did.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 10-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #48
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

I looked at a couple of battery powered saws when I was getting my mower serviced, have to say I was impressed. Like to try one for the weekend........Shop said no to that idea !
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #49
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

We are doing well up here in the Sturgeon River State Forest. I took 5 Ruffs this week, and a Spruce Grouse. That is the fourth Spruce Grouse for me in the past 20 years!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Landskov For Your Post:
Unread 10-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #50
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Landskov View Post
We are doing well up here in the Sturgeon River State Forest. I took 5 Ruffs this week, and a Spruce Grouse. That is the fourth Spruce Grouse for me in the past 20 years!
Mark,

In all of our years in Northern Minnesota chasing grouse, we've never had a chance at a Spruce Grouse. We even rode up to the International Falls area a couple of times hoping for a chance. I keep hoping.

As for our trip, we have had all sorts of weather and weather conditions. We took an off day on Thursday when the temperature rose to 73. Our aging legs enjoyed a day off. This morning we are waiting out a snow squall with its high winds and pelletized snow blowing sideways. Interestingly enough, the sun is shinning while it's snowing. I'm sure the birds are hunkered down as are we.

A good sign is that we are getting up broods of birds, sometimes three and four at a time. I'm still not getting many shots, and yesterday when I had some shots, I failed miserably to hold up my part to he pointing dog-hunter agreement. Fortunately, the dogs don't care. I'll bring out the Parker DH 16 for next week's hunting, and set aside my go-to grouse gun (a Dickson 28).

This weekend is the annual Minnesota Teachers Association meeting, so kids are off from school and riding roughshod over the trails on four-wheelers. We hunt the non-motorized areas during this stretch, but there is a marked increase in hunters during this weekend.

The dogs are getting used to this new routine, and are excited to be able to hunt every day. It's difficult getting three dogs enough time out (and the forth, a "retiree," time to walk a trail or two). We logged over 10 miles yesterday according to Elaine's gps, and the dogs ran nearly three times that as the tracking collars show. Oh, to have four young legs!

I really appreciated Dean's lines about Autumn hunting. I feel that anymore I'm hunting experiences more than birds, stockpiling memories for the off-season...and the day when I may not be able to go any more.

Well, the snow has stopped, and the woods are calling. I hope Harold can let us know about his hunt, and I'd love to read of anyone else's (and thanks again to Mark for sharing his good fortune).

1. The morning ritual -- letting the dogs out first thing at the local gravel pit -- this time in a snow squall.
2. Yesterday was warm enough that the dogs sought out water to cool themselves off.
3. My little Dickson. It's taken more grouse for me than any other gun, and it's been my go to grouse gun for nearly 40 years.
4. Although leaves have mostly fallen (or been blown off!), the tamaracks still have good color, and remind me of Aldo Leopold's advice that the best time to hunt grouse is when the tamaracks are "smokey gold."
5. It's not often that you get a point just out of the truck and on a well groomed trail like this. Unfortunately, or perhaps predictably, the bird got up without offering a shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1097.jpg (513.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1077.jpg (535.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1068.jpg (430.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1082.jpg (262.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1086.jpg (528.0 KB, 1 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: