Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,165 Posts

I don't care if it's warm, if it's some kind of waterfowling season I've gotta give it a try. Hell we used to hunt the early teal season down at home and it would be in the 90's some years.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
tom horn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry, just what fowling piece will you begin the new year with?
tom horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Tom,

Good to see you on the BBS, hope things are well down there at home.

I'm thinking the GH magnum 10 gauge, it's been my season opening gun for quite a few years now and has never failed me.

I'm taking the D grade 10 gauge hammer gun for the early goose opener in Canada on the 10th though. I've got some of the new 1 3/8 NiceShot shells to test for Morris.

I'd use it here in Michigan but a hammer gun is hard to handle in a ground blind. We're going to hunt out of the new boat across the river.

We've got to try and make a hunt over Christmast this year, we haven't been out together in way too long.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

Destry,
I am hurt. I thought for sure you would be putting the 34" #3 frame thru her paces.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #15
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

John,

The Swamp Angel will see it's first airing on opening day for ducks in Ontario I'd imagine. It's with Mr. Bickle at the moment getting a strip and clean, and the White Line pad changed to a proper Silvers.

Destry

P.S. Are you suggesting that you can kill a goose with something less than a 10 gauge? I'm shocked!
Unread 08-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #16
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

His name is spelled Bickel...
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

We make a hell of a trio, all our names are frequently misspelled. Kass, Bickle, and Huffard.
Mr. Bickel- Gunsmith-
Unread 08-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #18
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thumbs up Mr. Bickel- Gunsmith-

Destry- May we have an address and e-mail for Mr. Bickel. We "Parker-ites" can never have enough good gun smiths, and strip and clean- a "Mossenburgher" pump, sure- a fine Boxlock- a job best left to experts. Good luck on Tues- I'll be at an area dairy farm with ponds-maybe some Geese- pigeons for sure--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #19
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

"Run at the BBSes" aka Mr. Morin of MI...Mr. Bickel told me this afternoon he is not taking on anymore clients so don't worry about his number...

Mr.Hofahrt, you iz ko-rect...deys bin mizzpellin' mah name fo' ev-aah! I shot trap with RB today and I managed a 24/25 the first time out testing my 1910 32" Fox CE. It may be a taker to Quebec with its 28" skt/ic set of bbls for the Teal Pond...(BTW, Russ won the Grouse Hall Vintage SxS flyer shoot with his BHE a couple of weeks ago at Powderbourne. It's his 3rd time (to my one...grrrrr...). We also discussed the dirty linen of the (infamous) BH. I had no idea of the issues, other than the cut bbls. My sincere condolences...However, I have concerns about your direction on the DHE. I suggest no more than 2 7/8". The BWT at the end of the chambers is currently .115". My old DH #3 frame that Russ now has is .120" at 2 7/8" and remember these are unalerted factory long chambers. Do the arithmetic. 3" Kent TM loads when fired are circa 2 13/16". It will be fine. You can not replace steel, buddy...
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Mr. Bickel- Gunsmith and possibly a shootin' Gent'man
Unread 08-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #20
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Cool Mr. Bickel- Gunsmith and possibly a shootin' Gent'man

Thanks for the feedback Mr. Kaas. I already have a fine Master Gunsmith, also a personal friend and a brother PGCA member to boot, right in my backyard here in MI. You may have seen some of his postings recently in the Parker Reproductions section of the Forum; Brad Bachelder. I merely raised the question to Destry to possibly give the PGCA membership another potential source for quality work.

Having shot with Destry, and being fortunate to share a few of his fine doubles, including the 8 bore Churchill and his 12 DHE, I would take his mention of Mr. Bickel as a very high endorsement indeed. This would seem to be verified by your comments that he (Mr. Bickel) is not taking on any additional gun work at present. Also speaks well to his standing as a craftsman, not to over-commit on work load and become past due on completed work. Good luck with your coming waterfowl season too! F. M.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote