Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

I noticed in TPS that 87237 was a display gun at the 1898 Boston show. It is listed there as a DH 12/30"/straight but I suspect this is a typo. So much for the "pair" thought, however but it does make 87237 just a bit more interesting. Perhaps, my 87238 was already on the lobster boat or dispatching handlined Atlantic halibut in a dory on The Banks...
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #12
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well, I picked up the gun this morning. Bob V. was right. It is a rat. The pictures on AA did not do it justice- it is much worse. A fine gun abused, mistreated and left to decay. Clearly, it has seen its share of deadly salt water service on the New England coast. It probably has taken its share of blackheads, blackies and "coots" while the swirling mists and sprays of the Gulf of Maine enveloped both gun and gunner. It appears to be just on this side of "restorable"...I seriously thought of sending it back and resolved to do so-why bother with it? I've had C grades before and have a nice Acme 34" CHE...I bemoaned my lack of luck on Parkers lately. Then a hour later, I received Mark's information from the Stock and Order Books and the mists parted just a bit and the pits did not seem quite so deep... It seems old 87238 and 87237 were in fact a bit of "a pair". They were two identical CHs ordered in 1897 simply to be "build like McAlpin gun" (Geo. McAlpin of NYC was a well known and heeled gentleman pigeon shooter). The men who ordered them, also well known gentlemen trap shootists of their time, were a father and son, Capt. A.W. and Mr. Noel Money. In Parker's tradition of getting its guns in hands of influential shooters on advantageous terms, the guns were discounted 50% to $75 each and shipped to the Moneys c/o EC Powder Co., Oakland, Bergen Cty.,NJ in December of 1897. My gun 87238 was returned to Parker Bros. one year later by Capt. Money, Noel having returned his earlier (it then shows up on the Parker Bros. stand at the Boston Exposition that year). The Captain's gun then went on to serve a number of other owners who are recorded in the annals of the Gun Works. I'd like to think younger son, Harold "the Shootinest Gent'man" Money might have picked up Pahpah's gun once or twice too during the year it lived with the Captain... This history doesn't make the gun's condition any better or lessen the cost of refurbishing that which can be refurbished but it makes the task seem somewhat more worthwhile. So, children, that's how I ended up with "Bluerock's" Parker CH...what are the odds on that?
Unread 09-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,198 Times in 12,370 Posts

Every Parker has a story Don - yours approaches the "Fabled" category. Congratulations on your purchase. Let's see some pictures when it's done.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,165 Posts

A gun actually owned by "Blue Rock" himself, the mind just runs wild......

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
Travis Sims
PGCA Member

Member Info

Congrats.......
i too was watching that gun. Whats your plan with her, new wood and restore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Nooooo . . .

Good luck with it Don! I know you'll have it looking great in no time!
Travis Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Once again interesting history has tipped the scales in favor of keeping a questionable Parker... Just goes to show, never underestimate the appeal of unique provenance when it comes to old doubles... Great find Don...

The next thing you know O'l Murphy will surface with the (Long-Lost) rare Curtis designed Parker Try-Gun that Louis Parker and Dupont Powders professional shooter Jack Fanning had a hand in... Actually shooting these old Parker's rates number 1, but researching their history often runs a close second... And the hunt continues.....

Best, CSL

Christopher Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #17
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

You are right, Chris, best lucky find since some guy in Idaho found an original Schreiber photograph of some dudes shooting pigeons in Philadelphia circa 1878.

I measured the barrels and stock dimensions when I got home tonight. .740" bores, chokes .022/.032, .140" over the 2 3/4" chambers and MBWT of +.040 over the rest of the tubes. Interestingly in this early fluid steel Parker-there is no "T" in a circle stamp on the flats, just "Titanic Steel" on the rib. Stock measures zero cast, 13 3/4" lop to end of wood. It would go 14" with its missing SSBP. 5 1/4' butt height. Drop 1 1/4" x 2 1/4" (can you say late 19th century pigeon gun?) No wood needed (f/e is pretty nice) just a repair to a small(ish) crack in the wrist. To do list- Salvage barrels cosmetically, serious cosmetic work on action and a bit of re-engraving by Maitre Gournet. It also appears the top lever was "replaced" and the fit is poor so we'll need to attend to that...Unlike classic car restorations(my former vice) all is not possible (even given sufficient $) with classic guns.
Unread 09-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #18
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Don, Lets not forget another lucky find of an early (HIGH-DOLLAR-$1K)
Kimble/Kleintz score card found by a guy from illinois, which eventually
found it's way to Vienna, Georgia...

"Drop 1 1/4" x 2 1/4" ~ definitely shootable dimensions... I Look forward to seeing it when finished.

Best, CSL

Last edited by Christopher Lien; 09-06-2009 at 04:51 AM..
Christopher Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #19
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Don - what does the forend loop look like on the barrels? Is it the one piece loop like the BT forends use? My live bird gun has that feature and I understand it was a popular option with the pigeon shooters.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #20
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

It is the standard loop on CH 87238. This gun pre-dates its introduction. It was standard on later high grade guns as well as most beavertails. I have never seen or heard of it mentioned in a letter for a C or below pigeon gun but I am sure someone must have specified one I have had atleast 6 early (pre-WWI) Parker C and D pigeon/trap guns and have handled many more and have not seen one. You are lucky. It is good feature and standard Parker loops come adrift with more frequency than many would like to admit. As an aside, early A.H. Fox 12 gauge Krupp steel barrelled guns have a similar one piece loop as standard but they stopped using it circa 1912-a retrograde step IMHO.