Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,231 Times in 12,375 Posts

Sean, you have inherited a very well-loved Parker trap gun. It is in very good condition and is very desirable. Probably made on a 1 1/2 frame and has the early style sculpting of the beavertail forend. I hope you are a trap shooter or a sporting clays shooter because you'll really enjoy shooting that gun. At the least, I hope you are a pheasant hunter. That's the gun for pheasants even with the single trigger.

Last edited by Dean Romig; 08-26-2009 at 09:39 AM..
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #12
Sean Hayes
Forum Associate

Member Info

The shotgun belonged to a relative who passed away back in 92 and they have been in storage since then, the collection has several nice shotguns not as nice as this one but very nice. They were apparently cleaned and sealed using a vacuum bag that has apparently done very well for them. The purchaser was a dealer in Florida and near as I can tell he purchased this one in the early 80's. Has been interesting learning about the firearms some of which I've never heard of ie. two Charlin shotguns are quite nice but I've never even heard of the brand.
Sean Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
Sean Hayes
Forum Associate

Member Info

Almost forgot in the paperwork I was going through there is apparently a second barrel or set of barrels whichever you prefer. The second barrels are Damascus #71573 is on the paperwork, have to go through and pull them out. Let you know when I find them it really sucks having to go to work during the day and research only at night. Leaves little time for actual shooting.
Unread 08-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Sean, you've certainly come to the right place for information concerning Parker guns but as far as information on Charlin and other guns you should go to www.doublegunshop.com and ask for opinions and information over there. We would be glad to help in those areas and some here may be informed about such guns but for wider exposure ask over there.
Unread 08-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
Bob beach
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sean,

It may be of interest to you that your Parker, number 200505, was consigned for sale at Abercrombie & Fitch for about one year, from July 20, 1953 to July 2, 1954 when it was "withdrawn" unsold by the consignor. It is described as a 12 gauge DHE with 32 inch bbls, a BTFE, SST, but no mention of extra barrels. The chamber length is recorded as 2 5/8 inches so you might want to see if they are original (before you shoot any heavy 2 3/4 inch loads) or if the chambers have been opened up. The stock dimensions are definitely set up for a trap gun. Hope this helps. Compliments of Griffin & Howe, Inc.

Bob
Robert Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Welcome Mr Beach! For those who are unacquainted with Mr Beach, he heads the Records Research Dept. at Griffin & Howe in New Jersey.
I am only recently (and lucky) to be acquainted with him myself.
Thank you for your post.
Dean
Unread 08-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #17
Sean Hayes
Forum Associate

Member Info

Many thanks for the information this has been fun and interesting learning about this firearm. Before this adventure I never knew there were such knowledgeable people with a passion for Parker firearms. It is very interesting learning of some of the travels a shotgun can make in an 86 year time frame. Just looking at it seems hard to believe it was crafted before WWII, 1923 seems several lifetimes ago for a 35 year old. Many thanks and congratulations on your collector's association seems to be a fine group of individuals.
Unread 08-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Sean,
It's been fun to look at your Parker and to get a bit involved in informing you about it as well. If you plan to keep it I would urge you to send for a PGCA Research Letter on your gun's serial number. You may learn a lot more about it, who originally ordered it and if there is any history of it going back to Parker Bros. or during the mid to late 1930's to Remington for repairs or refinishing. The letter is $60 for non-members and $40 for members and an annual membership in the PGCA is only $40.
If you return to this forum often enough you will find that there are quite a few very knowledgable Parker experts here who are quite willing to share their knowledge and experiences with interested newcomers. We welcome you and hope you will stay in touch.
If you plan on selling your Parker, be forwarned - it is a valuable Parker. Others may differ in opinion but I will say it is probably worth between $5,000 - $7,000
Unread 08-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #19
Sean Hayes
Forum Associate

Member Info

Unfortunately some of the guns will be sold off as yet unsure if I can keep the Parker or not it is quite a gun and I believe will only go up in value as long as it is well kept. I at least have to finish the inventory and research on the guns before I decide what I get to keep. Thanks for the research letter idea I'll look into it.