Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #21
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

That's a dumb question Dean, anything is good wrapped in bacon!!!!

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #22
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
...anything is good wrapped in bacon!!!
______ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm with Destry!!!

As well - fix up a marinade with olive oil, brown suger, lemon juice & whatever spices "float your boat" - and put the bird/marinade into a ziplock bag in the fridge for a day. As well - use a fork to put a lot of little holes in the meat so the marinade can soak in.. Every few hours - shake the bag to re-mix... Grill on low heat and don't overcook.. Turns out moist. I served the pheasant on grilled camp bread with cold rice & beans..
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #23
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,232 Times in 12,375 Posts

Destry, that's like my oft-used quip "Jack Daniels goes well with anything"
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #24
Derrick Stewart
Forum Associate

Member Info

Desrty,

That's an awful long gun. With the barrel being so long it surely won't fit in the sink boat and you will have to find a field with corn about 8 ft tall. If not the geese will see you from a mile away.
Derrick Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #25
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,867 Times in 4,754 Posts

Destry, your new gun is a piece of work. For your information, it does not seem to be a Model 1900 H&R. The sculpting of the receiver and the pin placement are nothing like my 10 gauge 3 1/2" Model 1900. My gun is not happy being shot with 3 1/2" shells. I tricked a fellow into firing a few one time and the gun came open on every shot. The gun is about new, so it isn't worn. One of the gun houses sold a bunch of these old H&Rs back in the fifties or sixties advertised as ten gauge magnums. They were probably bought from H&R when they discontinued ten gauges and bored them out for long shells. My gun is nice, but only for 2 7/8" shells. The barrel is extremely thick, but the locking bolt is not up to the job.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #26
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill,

A friend had a later model of that same gun when we were growing up, used it to pass shooting geese off the railroad track that border the refuge. You could shoot the long shells through it but it was pure punishment. The gun seemed heavy but it wasn't heavy enough. The barrel walls were so thick I think you could have bored it out to 8 gauge.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 08-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #27
james van blaricum
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I saw one of those long barrel things driven in the ground with an insulator attached and was being use as a electric fence post. The action still worked.JVB
james van blaricum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #28
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
What, and limit yourself to only one shot ?

C'mon now Destry . . . I don't think so.

Cute gun though. How long is the barrel?
Easy fix: buy two and duct-tape them together.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #29
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'm already looking for another one......

DLH
i also quit shooting parkers
Unread 08-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #30
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default i also quit shooting parkers

read destrys line and decided to buy me one of them there guns that will killem as long as you can seem . got on sold usa and found one of them there guns know that it was for me cause it said goose gun in the riteup bout it.i bid high were that destry wouldnt get interested you know what igot a call from them there people said i had bought that there goose killer.wooie was i excited. got that there goose killing machine home yesterday them folks at ups brought it all most to my door. when i seen how long that package was i says to my self ive bought the goose killer that every hunter dreams of. it took me 30 minutes to cut my way through all of that there tape and paper . i can tell you folks that them there people at sold usa can sure wrap a package there wrapings are sure something.when i pulled thatthat long slender fine long barreled gun out of the box my old eyes liked to have went out. never had i seen such a goose killer as this before. now igot me one of them there destry specials . not all of the story yet but about bed time here .good hunting to nite all you possum hunters. ha charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote